foamy coolant

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big Country

Reaction score
Ok a couple of things. All the power problems i had with the bronc are good now. Thanks Seabronc and yardape, and everyone else for the advice. Unfortunately, there are other problems. And it involves coolant. First question is where the **** is the thermostat supposed to go? According to the haynes manual it is supposed to be at the far end of the top hose coming out of the radiator. Only mine isn't there and where the hose goes to looks too small to house a thermostat.

Next question. What does foamy coolant mean?

I continue to overflow my overflow container and lose coolant. it's almost as if the system is not completing it's cycle. I am going to try to flush it myself this weekend. to my knowledge, all that involves is draining the valve while a water hose is running ater throught it and until it runs clean. then plug valve and fill. If I do not use the valve and use the bottom hose instead will it be as effective a flush? i believe thats it any comments or advice would be greatly appreciated. I will continue to search the site for similar posts.

Thanks guy and girls.

timster24

Reaction score
whats your oil look like? if the oil is looking a bit milky, or the antifreeze is a bit brownish you probably can figure that they are mixing. not good do head gaskets, and have your heads checked

Justbust1n

Reaction score
foamy coolant means you have compression leakin into your coolant probably from around where your piston and head meet ... which means that you got a bad head gasket pull a couple of spark plugs and see if one looks wet or the cyclinder is filled with antifreeze if so that is your problem. goodluck :-" ow and if you want a cheap flush get some dishwashin liquid and put some in your radiator and drive it this is a quick fix and just as good as any other means of doin it i learned this from and old mechanic and yes it does work it actually gets all the dirt and grime built up over the years and breaks it down ...and usually after you drive it for about a week like that; you can drain the fluid and see how bad it is , and put new fluid in it and it runs just like new!

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Big Country

Big Country

Reaction score
my oil looks fine and my coolant isn't any other color but the green is comes as. that is why i don't get it. I have no thermostat, i found that out last night and part of the coolant temperature sensor is broken off. so those two are being bought tomorrow. I am going to get the temp switch too and flush the radiator and see what happens. any other comments are welcome and i will let you guys know how she does after teh flush.

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
IF your coolant is overflowing, my first question is the obvious. Did you put too much when you filled it up? Other thing is it sounds as if you have ablockage somewhere. Either the water pump is cavitating or not working, or you have a bloc kin the water passages in the block. The thermostat is supposed to be on the front-top of the intake manifold where the top radiator hose connects to the water neck. Pull off the water neck and the thermostat fits under it.

mbtech2003

Reaction score
some one took out the thermostat for a reason hopefully not a serious one. but a new waterpump while u have the coolant drained is a good idear so u don't have to drain again.... and a good flush tip is use "shout" thats right the stain remover. it goes through the system and cleans out the oil from the coolant passages with out foaming like dish soap will do. and leavs it smelling clean lol :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

might also want to do a cylinder leak down test to make sure the headgaskets are ok.

whitey

Reaction score
there is a big misconception among shade tree mechanics in san antonio, texas (where i hail from and where big country lives), that due to the heat it's better to NOT have a thermostat in there. of course this is not a great idea. but that may be the reason you don't have one in there.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gryph