Estimating The Practicality Vs The 'badass Factor'

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ajent13

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

i'm new to this forum but i am extremely interested in broncos. my dad had a 79 bronco when i was little and now i'm thinking about getting one for my primary transportation. i really like the powerful look and feel of broncos, and being able to almost run over other cars seems totally sweet. I've heard they get terrible gas mileage which causes some concern for me since it will be my primary car and i'm starting college next year. i found an ad in the paper for a 79 bronco for under $2000. I have about $3500 saved so i'm thinking whatever i have left over i can use to maintain it or fix it up. what kind of maintanance schedule would i be looking at for it? i am not a mechanic at all, but i am a fast learner, so what kind of regular maintanance would i be able to do myself to save money? I also am considering jacking it up and putting it on bigger wheels so if anyone can give me a rough estimate of what kind of a price range that would fall into, i would be much obliged. but once again, i have become a city-slicker so it probably wouldn't be practical other than for flying over speed bumps.

Thanks for any help at all,

Ajent13 :ph34r: /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Txquadhunter

Reaction score
To maintan a 79 Bronco is simple. really just Oil changes, Plugs, wires just the basic tune-up stuff. Working on a 79 Bronco is easy done and learned since it's a simple rig. depends on what kind of MPG your looking to keep. These trucks come with a 351m or 400. They all get a wide range of MPG even compairing to stock rigs side-by-side. Like my 79 i get about 14MPG out of it, my 78 I get lucky to see 10MPG. I've read some get 8 to even 15MPG out of them. I prefer the 78-79 Bronco's over any other Big bronco.

Spending the extra cash on lift's and such you'll spend more money on the tires then you do the lift. A 4" lift is really all thats needed on them, it'll clear most any sixze tire with it. 35" tires with ease and 38" with some light trimming. Plus it don't over do the lifting.

mudunit77f250

Reaction score
... i would ( since you said you were a city slicker) just get a nice set of all terrain 33x12.5 tires to add to the look of the truck. that would be your basic badass factor right there. then i would take a chunk of that change and get yourself a nice set of headers and some nice true duals.... that should help on getting yourself good MPG..... the rest of that $$$ i would just hold onto incase you need to do some "major" engine work like me ( monday im doing the head gasket on my 400m...) if you lived in NH, i would tell you to buy the 78 bronco, sitting on 35's that i drive by every day on my way to work..... i would also have to reccomend getting one with an automatic transmission, the C6 that came in those rigs is a great trannie for its day and age. the clutch in the manual trannie rigs sometimes has a "chatter" in the it, and typically is only resolved by getting the whole clutch rebuilt.... good luck and have fun with whatever bronco you get.....

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
A

Ajent13

Reaction score
ok, so the one i was looking at for $2000 is gone, but there's a 94 that i'm going to look at tomorrow. this guy sounds really desparate. he had it listed at $4995 with 147,000 "highway" miles. he got no calls on it since he lives an hours drive away from all civilization and now he's offering me 4 grand for it. i know you people aren't walking typing kelly blue books but what dyou know about reliability or practicality of 94 bronco's? he said its in really good condition, new tires, and leather seats.... so tempting. thanks for any advice in advance.

Ajent13 :ph34r: /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Txquadhunter

Reaction score
If it's an auto besure to test the tanny best you can. $$$ to have one rebuilt. Check for woren parts in the TTB frontend. Not sure where your from but check for cancer (rust). If any of this try to get him down lower on price. Pretty much check it over like you would any used truck you'd be buying for everyday driver. If he'll allow you to let a shop look it over if your not sure what to look for. Most if there sound they'll have no problem letting someonetake it to a shop for a look over before buying.

G

I agree with broncohaloic expect for the fact that it'll be hard gettin something "decent" for 2-3000, if you can, you've searched harder than me.

personally, I would use that cash as a down payment on a loan to get an early bronco that's already nearly finished-- perfect for city cruzin, or crawlin

you can' t beat the class of these trucks

just my $.02-- Matt

Bronco_Huey

Reaction score
Hmmm....good opinions so far. I'll add mine.

I think you should try to find something with EFI. What you learn there will help you work on your cars in the future unless we are going back to carbs anytime soon.

Being that you are considering a "project" vehicle for daily transportation is kinda scary. I have only had one vehicle in the 79 or prior years and I done nothing to it besides drive it til it fell apart. So I can't tell you how hard parts are to find, costs, etc. What I can say is that if your a typical poor college student and want to have a life other then wrenching, I would buy the best condition vehicle you can for the money, which might mean not a Bronco. Yes, you can save a ton of money working on your own vehicle IF you are mechanically inclined, have some support (the forums are execellent for information) in addition to having someone or a group that can physically help you out. Eventually, very much sooner then later if your not a shade tree mechanic, you will come to something that you can't do. This may be not only because of the knowledge required but the necessary tools required. My personal experience so far ( I would not think I'm that old at 32) is that the very first time I do a job it ends up costing as much or almost as much as a researched professional shop repair. Now the next time I do the same job I have all the tools and everything I need to do it and save a bunch. Do you have the space for all these tools? Do you have the money for tools and for a professional repair if needed? What are you going to do if your vehicle goes down for days, weeks etc? Is there anyone who is knowledgeable to guide you?

Like you, I went looking for a Bronco on a limited budget. I do however, have another vehicle to drive if it should ever go down or need to stay parked for a long repair job. Don't let anyone tell you that maintaining or fixing a vehicle, regardless of age, is cheap.

If you have many of the things I mentioned and/or possibly understanding parents when in dire need, then the biggest joy you will know (whether u realize it now or later in life) is not having that car payment!!!!!!!!!!!

-Joe

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23