Engine Swap 302 EFI to a 351 EFI

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TerribleTerry

Reaction score
Hello, I am new to Bronco Zone. And would like to ask a few question about my 1988 Ford Bronco XLT. Which I purchased out here in New Mexico. It is in aesome condition has a 302 5.0 EFI in it. It has around 82,000 miles on it. And a year after I had it I thought that the coolant system should be flushed out. So I bought the Prestone Flush Kit & did everything buy what the direction said. And after I refilled it with fresh coolant and I seen I had a coolant leak running out on the ground. I thought it was the bypass hose but it was the middle freeze plug on the drivers side of the engine block. So evidently the previous owner that owned it had a small pin hole in that middle freeze plug and must of had dumped some stop leak in it. And when I used the Prestone Flush Kit, it must of loosend up the stop leak. So I decided to take start working on it and decided to take the remaining ones out which there are a total of 6, 3 on each side right where the motor mounts are. Which Im glad I did because they were pretty rusted up also, so it would be just a matter of time and I would be doing it all over again later on down the road. And let me tell ya. Getting to them while the engine was still in the vehicle was a real B#@%h.

So I haven't finished the job yet. But I am wanting some advice on putting in a remanufactured 351 5.8 EFI than keeping the 302 5.0 EFI. I am going to use the Bronco for pulling a car trailer and pull up to a 30' camper
And the 302 that is in it looks like it also had a right head replaced on it. So if I get the 5.8 EFI should I install an aftermarket Intake & Throttle Body on it. Or just run the stock one on it. Below is a photo of my 1988 Bronco.

Thanks

1988 Ford Bronco.jpg

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Hello, I am new to Bronco Zone. And would like to ask a few question about my 1988 Ford Bronco XLT. Which I purchased out here in New Mexico. It is in aesome condition has a 302 5.0 EFI in it. It has around 82,000 miles on it. And a year after I had it I thought that the coolant system should be flushed out. So I bought the Prestone Flush Kit & did everything buy what the direction said. And after I refilled it with fresh coolant and I seen I had a coolant leak running out on the ground. I thought it was the bypass hose but it was the middle freeze plug on the drivers side of the engine block. So evidently the previous owner that owned it had a small pin hole in that middle freeze plug and must of had dumped some stop leak in it. And when I used the Prestone Flush Kit, it must of loosend up the stop leak. So I decided to take start working on it and decided to take the remaining ones out which there are a total of 6, 3 on each side right where the motor mounts are. Which Im glad I did because they were pretty rusted up also, so it would be just a matter of time and I would be doing it all over again later on down the road. And let me tell ya. Getting to them while the engine was still in the vehicle was a real B#@%h.

So I haven't finished the job yet. But I am wanting some advice on putting in a remanufactured 351 5.8 EFI than keeping the 302 5.0 EFI. I am going to use the Bronco for pulling a car trailer and pull up to a 30' camper
And the 302 that is in it looks like it also had a right head replaced on it. So if I get the 5.8 EFI should I install an aftermarket Intake & Throttle Body on it. Or just run the stock one on it. Below is a photo of my 1988 Bronco.

Thanks

View attachment 28081
You might also check to see if the wiring is the same. Anytime you go changing motor--you,ll find out alot of things won,t enterchange. Have you thought about going to a lower gear ratio? That can also make a good bit of difference too. Alot easier then changer motors. and cheaper,but your gas mileage will go down some--same as putting in a bigger motor.Welcome to the club and you have a nice looking bronco.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
A headache and running searching for different parts. Maybe Terry would be better off looking for another vehicles. That would fit what he wants it to do. Changing and running down parts and being lied to about oh this will fit.I did it-just to get your money. I been down that road before. I,d either look around for something that would handle the job or try lower gears.

uzz32soarer

Reaction score
What a sensational looking car. May I ask what the wheels are and what size, they look stunning.

I'm watching this thread with interest as I also have a rather tired 5.0W EFI and am considering just getting a reco 351W and dropping it in and then transferring the bits over for the EFI.

OP
OP
T

TerribleTerry

Reaction score
What a sensational looking car. May I ask what the wheels are and what size, they look stunning.

I'm watching this thread with interest as I also have a rather tired 5.0W EFI and am considering just getting a reco 351W and dropping it in and then transferring the bits over for the EFI.
Thank you very much for the comment on my Bronco. I put 17" wheels & tires on it. Because I always thought that the stock 15" wheels & tires just didn't look right inside those big fender wells. So I decided to go bigger. It just looked out of proportion to me. But it sure handles a lot better too. The Rims and tires I bought through my local tire dealer (Discount Tire)and the rims were called LEVEL 8. (https://www.level8wheels.com)

OP
OP
T

TerribleTerry

Reaction score

Sorry for not answering sooner. I had a hip replacement and things didn't go well. So I wasn't able to get to this site. But feeling much better.

paul rondelli

Reaction score
You can pick up a newer F150 (long wheel base) for towing ... for very cheap. Keep the brick nose " as is" ... being from NM she looks 95% rust free .. and can be sold in the rust belt for 8,000 all day long.

The Bricks aren't getting the same love as the bull nose or aero nose Broncos right now ... but that will change.

This is going to be worth over 10,000 very soon.

Being from NM you could throw all your retirement savings into purchasing "rust free" Broncos ... and see a better return in 20 years than any a 401K can offer.

johnnyreb

Reaction score

Thanks

View attachment 28081
You might also think about putting BRASS plugs back in it.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Yes sir that's what I am going to do for sure. And was going to change the timing gear & chain and replace the water pump.
Get the timing gear set. Where the marks are straight up and down and not the off-set one. It,ll help in power and mileage. Hope your feeling better and good luck.

chrlsful

Reaction score
"...Get the timing gear set..."
advance a few * beyong spec too (2 - 6*) fr pep. ******** for mileage & emissions from oe.
Use an online gear caculator to play (inexpensively) w/the DL ratios fr power v mileage. (U did a change w/that tire dia increase), U plug in each figure of the caculation and can C the results. U may see (as suggested) the bronk aint ever goin to get U what U want?
/OR/
not.
(just plug in tire dia, transmish gear, rear end gear) x-fer gear too if lookin @ off rd final drive ratio

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke