Engine and Carb guys.... Please read...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

genthree

Reaction score
Bronco was running GREAT!!!  Then it sat for a couple of weeks while I rebuilt the transfer case.

Started it up and it didn't fire right away and I cranked it a couple of times.  It started up and sounded a little weird, the idle smoothed out and I hopped out and walked around to shut the hood.  Fuel was dripping off the bottom of the air cleaner!!!!  I shut it down and removed the air cleaner and there was fuel all over the top of the intake manifold and running down the fuel line.  I cleaned it all up and restarted the truck.  It fired right up no issues, walked back around the front and fuel is spraying out of the fitting that connects the rubber hose to the carb, but it is coming out of the threads in the carb itself.  It's got big pressure behind it and it was shooting a fine stream 6-8 feet!!!

I am guessing float stuck up or down?  Can a fuel pump generate TOO MUCH pressure?  Manual choke carb, 2BBL Holley, mechanical pump, new fuel lines, No recent mods to the system.....

Thoughts???  I rebuilt the carb a year ago or so and have had no issues.....

Kinda scary situation.....  It would be my luck to finally get it all put back together and have it burn to the ground at a stoplight....

Seabronc

Reaction score
Fuel pressure for a normal carb is between 5 and 9 pounds.  Do you have a pressure gauge?  You can mount a gauge in the fuel line, like the attached picture.  The engine wasn't running, that reading was the residual pressure after it was shut off.

I doubt the mechanical pump can  generate too much pressure. Fuel pouring out of the bottom of the carb sounds like a stuck float valve or float.  It's possible that a piece of crud got wedged on the valve opening.  You might want to put some Teflon on the threads.
:)>-

100_3726.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo Gent,

Yes, many racers and perforamance enthusiasts/DIYers install a FP gauge permanently

Such as;

JEGS Performance Products 41043 Fuel Pressure Gauge (White) $23.99

http://www.amazon.com/JEGS-Performance-Products-41043-Pressure/dp/B007VRAH62/ref=sr_1_4/191-0972603-0266651?ie=UTF8&qid=1409144434&sr=8-4&keywords=fuel+pressure+gauge

JEGS Performance Products 15270 Fuel Pressure Gauge Fitting

by JEGS

7 customer reviews

Price: $6.99 & FREE Shipping

In Stock.
Ships from and sold by JEGS.

• Fuel Pressure Gauge Fitting
  • 3/8" Barb end for Neoprene hose
  • 1/8" NPT port
See more product details

http://www.amazon.com/JEGS-Performance-Products-Pressure-Fitting/dp/B007VR8ZBQ/ref=sr_1_10/191-0972603-0266651?ie=UTF8&qid=1409144434&sr=8-10&keywords=fuel+pressure+gauge

see more JEGs FP gauges @ http://www.jegs.com/p/JEGS-Performance-Products/JEGS-Fuel-Pressure-Gauges/763500/10002/-1

Do a WW search for more brands

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Some carb. line connectors are the plumbing type. (i.e. tapered)  After much removal/install, they can seep but not actually squirt.

Other connectors are straight thread & seal against a semi-hard teflon or even copper gasket.This design can leak if the gasket is missing or has failed. In this case.., fuel can squirt.

Worst case is the carb cracking somewhere at this attach point. This would squirt fuel also.

Mech. fuel pumps have check-valves & can't over pressurise. When these pumps fail, they will have little or no pressure. 

With this leak spotted.., it's very unlikely there's any internal issues with the carb.

Fuel press. gage on a low press. carb & pump setup is a preference call.

OP
OP
genthree

genthree

Reaction score
Pulled the fittings apart and BB you were right, they look a little worn.  I wrapped with some Teflon tape and re-tightened.  Didn't seem to drip anymore.  I will take it for a drive stopping often to check for leaks....

thanks again for the input!!!

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Yep.., keep a close eye on that.

The owner of www.WildHorses4x4  spent mega bucks under his hood, parts-n-prettyness., only to have it catch

on fire while driving down the road, away from the shop. Burned up everything under the hood...!!  The extinguisher stopped the fire but still.., what a mess. That would make anybody sick.   :((

OP
OP
genthree

genthree

Reaction score
Every time it burps, I stop and pull over now....  It's like I am a new parent with a baby....

Seabronc

Reaction score
If the Teflon tape worked, then the next thing would be to replace the fitting if the threads are worn as.  Possibly even the carburetor.

:)>-   

OP
OP
genthree

genthree

Reaction score
So here is where I am at, the threads are totally gone.  We had another fuel leak and kids are driving the bronco to school.  It is now grounded until the carb gets fixed....  Called NAPA today and they quoted me some astronomical price for a new float tank to replace the stripped out one and a bigger number for a rebuilt carb.  Not that I am cheap or anything, but son of a gun they were big numbers.  Options:

1) tap new threads in a Holley carb

2) **** it up and replace the float tank

3) rebuild another carb.  I have a Motorcraft D4AE-FA that I believe was once on this rig (many years ago) and let it go for a while.

There is a bunch of choke stuff on the passenger side of this carb, WHAT IS IT ALL?  and there is also an electrical wire hanging off of the drivers side....  What is it and how much power is required to operate it.....  guy at NAPA said I would get better mileage with the Motorcraft carb than the Holley....  I like the simplicity of the Holley...

Thoughts????

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Ok..,  (Holley 2300)

Factory design is;

Metal gas line/threaded fitting.., then a large fitting that screws into float tank.

ORDER--- metal line with flared tip/& fitting, screws into large fitting/sintered bronze filter holder.

Large fitting has a flat gasket on it. (won't seal W/O this gasket)

Another smaller gasket inside this fitting for the bronze filter.

Then the bronze filter.

Then the spring to hold filter in place. 

My guess is the PO lost the larger flat gasket & tried to seal the fitting connection with MORE torque. 

This heavy torque would wipe out the threads.

I would think the only way you could  tap new threads is to "drill-out-n-sleeve" the tank. Then

tap the new threads to fit the "large" fitting/filter holders threads.

(Or, tap the secondary entrance on the other side then open up the pathway)

A new/used tank is the easiest solution. Did you try ebay..? Craigs List.?

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Wow.., :eek: /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I for one didn't know there was so many styles for the 2300.

Mine is the 4412-1 similar to the 9th & 12 picture down on page 2

Also surprised there's only 2 float bowls avail. for sale..!  page 4 & 6

Several styles of fuel inlet hook-ups.

Of course, manual/auto chokes.

Several linkage setups.., auto & man. transmissions.

Seabronc

Reaction score
 What is it and how much power is required to operate it..

That is probably an electric choke.  Ford ran some chokes at 7V by using a tap off the alternator.  Holley carbs specifically built to Ford specs ran a 7V choke like the 4180 4bbl, not sure about the 2bbl but I suspect the 2bbls also ran a 7V choke.  If designed for 7V it will burn up on 12V.  The element can be replaced with a 12V element.

Float bowl http://tinyurl.com/mmv4a6b   http://tinyurl.com/l2edgdr

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
BTW.., D4AE-FA  is a '74 motorcraft  2100 D

There's slight jet & float settings over the years but all in all., it would work ok on your rig.

I too like the Holley (bit better performance)  but these aren't race trucks & most

folks wouldn't notice the difference between the two.  Assuming both properly tuned.

In either case, you'd need the "kick-down" linkage if you have an automatic trans. :unsure:

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
"...and there is also an electrical wire hanging off of the drivers side (of carb)...."

Forgot 'bout this.., I believe this is a solenoid pod that slows the throttle from moving too fast from speed to idle.

OP
OP
genthree

genthree

Reaction score
Found a "carb guy" here in town and he had a couple of float bowls and sold me one for $15.  Put the carb together and it's running great....  Lost another neutral safety switch and had to swap that out...

It's running great and the kids are back in the saddle....

Thanks for all your help on this one....  

I think I am going to pull the engine and rebuild this winter....

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnK