Please help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Js32274

Reaction score
Hey guys
Have an issue with my 79 and can not figure it out.
Three times now in the past month I have been driving down the road and my motor cuts off. No power steering, but the radio and head lights still work. There isn’t a funny noise or weird action from the engine before it does this. It will not restart. I have twice left it for 30 minutes and came back and it would turn over and run for a short amount of time. When I had it towed last time they replaced the distributor thinking that was the issue.
They checked the fuel line and it was clear with nothing in the filter.
I can’t keep paying for towing every time I drive it.

Anyone ever had an issue like this??

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
Ditto on control module, or even coil will do that. Heat related is hard to troubleshoot.

Honestly you can carry a gallon of water and dump it over the module to cool it down and see if it restarts. That is one way to trouble shoot it.

Groovtubin

Reaction score
Hey guys
Have an issue with my 79 and can not figure it out.
Three times now in the past month I have been driving down the road and my motor cuts off. No power steering, but the radio and head lights still work. There isn’t a funny noise or weird action from the engine before it does this. It will not restart. I have twice left it for 30 minutes and came back and it would turn over and run for a short amount of time. When I had it towed last time they replaced the distributor thinking that was the issue.
They checked the fuel line and it was clear with nothing in the filter.
I can’t keep paying for towing every time I drive it.

Anyone ever had an issue like this??
I repair electronics, while water WILL cool a TFI down, a better recourse is to get some electronic FREEZE spray, or even Computer CANNED air to cleanem with, Its either fuel, air, or spark.... :) Hope ya nail it.. 87 Bronco II owner..

Motech

Reaction score
Ignition Control Modules (ICM) and distributor Ignition Pickup Coils fail with heat like that.

Your Pickup Coil has been replaced. It's inside distributor.

If you replace ICM and it fixes it, replace the coil too. Ford trains all their techs to do that automatically because an internally shorted coil will run just fine, but the added current (heat) it places on the ICM circuits cooks them prematurely.

NotaVegetarian

Reaction score
These guys got right! Whoohoo this gang is awesome! Hope he swapped em out. Should run fine when he does

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Hey did you replace the control module. Did it make a difference.
Another little wire can alo be over looked. Its the yellow and black wire on the solenoid side of the battery area. Happened to me the other day--in case its not the module box.

Cat skinner

Reaction score
Lots of folks have fell victim to the old brain box..
Take it off and give it to your worst enemy...
Put a complete Petronix ignition simple and very dependable.

L\Bronco

Reaction score
Sounds like an ignition control module.
I agree, the old duraspark modules were problematic at best, (I used to carry a spare in the glovebox just in case)
I actually gutted a duraspark module and mounted a GM HEI module inside. Some relatively simple wiring mods and lose the resistor wire and that's it. Hei has variable dwell control so it runs noticeably better and you can run a more modern E-core coil without frying the module. Still looks factory then too!
Hope that helps
Cheers

johnnyreb

Reaction score
I agree, the old duraspark modules were problematic at best, (I used to carry a spare in the glovebox just in case)
I actually gutted a duraspark module and mounted a GM HEI module inside. Some relatively simple wiring mods and lose the resistor wire and that's it. Hei has variable dwell control so it runs noticeably better and you can run a more modern E-core coil without frying the module. Still looks factory then too!
Hope that helps
Cheers
L\Bronco,did you make it back home?

L\Bronco

Reaction score
Sorry to hear that. Did you getbit back home.? Or will you have to make a trip and go back after it? --I hope you got it home and won,t have to make any trips
All good, she's home and Ill have it out tonight and start the overhaul.
Hope you are feeling better Johnny.
Cheers

johnnyreb

Reaction score
All good, she's home and Ill have it out tonight and start the overhaul.
Hope you are feeling better Johnny.
Cheers
Well I,m feeling one minute descent and the next like crap. . They set me up another appointmnet for Friday--THE 13TH---I just noticed it when I got home Friday and I ,m gonna try and change it a shot or something to help me eat. . I go in at 2:15 p.m today.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Well I,m feeling one minute descent and the next like crap. . They set me up another appointmnet for Friday--THE 13TH---I just noticed it when I got home Friday and I ,m gonna try and change it a shot or something to help me eat. . I go in at 2:15 p.m today. Is that the truck with all the belts you showed on hear? I,ll take a week to get the belts off. Good luck. What all do yo think is messed up?. I gotta put a new oil pump on mine. I,m going with the new screen--tube and pump --AGAIN. As soon as I get over this what I have. Its starting to get nice weather again.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sgariffo