Electrical

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CornFedBronco

Reaction score
I have an 85 bronco with stoct duraspark 11?? 302 eng. turns over just fine but wont start, have no spark. Have replaced module, dist. complete tune up and coil book say something about a ballast ressisiiter, cant fine. wiring not my spicalty. can anyone help.........thanks [-o<

Seabronc

Reaction score
The ballast resistor in the Duraspark II system is a special wire. However, it is not your problem as it is not in the start circuit. It sounds like you changed the module on wheel well and coil. Did you change the pickup in the distributor?

The following things are in the start circuit:

1. the start switch contact ST on the steering column

2. If an automatic, the neutral safety switch which is only closed in N or P, located on the transmission. This circuit provides 12v to the ignition module. Path is; Start switch to C121, c128, back to c121, C321 to ignition modue. If starter works this path is good atleast up thru C121. The path splits there one lead going to start relay and one going to the ignition module (red wire with light blue stripe).

The other path is start switch contact 12, to C325 (red with light greenwire) to ignition coil + terminal split to C221 to radio noise capacitor. C325 is located on driver side wheel well near ignition module. Could have bad contact there.

Other than bad contact in the connectors, the pickup is most likely the problem.

Good luck,

:)>-

Seabronc

Reaction score
P.S.

Once the engine starts the ignition module gets 12 volts from Run contact 11 to the red lead comming out of the ignition module. When the start switch is in start the 12v to the module comes in via the white lead.

Another possibility I forgot to mention is the grounding at the distributor. The ignition module gets its ground there thru the black wire with a light green stripe.

Also connectors C323 and C322 in the harness from the ignition module to the distributor could have corrroded contacts.

I wouldn't hurt to take each connector apart, clean the spades and add dialectric grease around the female part to make a good seal when they are put back together.

Good luck,

:)>-

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnK