Electrical issue has me stumped

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
wELL YOU MADE BIG PROGRESS ON YOUR WIRING TODAY. pAT YOURSELF ON THE BACK. i,M HAPPY FOR YOU. Now the back ups will be easy. I know you can do it.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
I just changed out the light switch and wiper switch. My interior lights and wipers weren't working prior to installing those switches, now they do.
In fact, I don't think my interior lights have worked in 20 years, I never cared enough about them to troubleshoot the issue, but I like that they actually work.
I read one of Miensk post awhile back about the light switch. The ceremac wheel has a metal coil in it. That controls the brightness of the lights and it goes bad. He ,s good . I think he was born in a bronco factory. hahaHe knows alot about them.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
I read one of Miensk post awhile back about the light switch. The ceremac wheel has a metal coil in it. That controls the brightness of the lights and it goes bad. He ,s good . I think he was born in a bronco factory. hahaHe knows alot about them.
Well looks like your ready to hit it in a little while and finishit up. Guess your waiting for the dew to dry. Me too.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Some pics of mine
I notice you still have the power box on the inner fender. Those have a habit of going out when least expected. When mine went bad. I replaced the distributor with a point distributor. Because to me. It is safer. If the points starts going bad. It warns you . If a electronic distributor goes bad--could be driving in heavy traffic---it quits and leave you in a dangereous situation. Changing points isn,t hard and if you watch what you are doing. They last a good while.Most of the time a cleaning of a small pieice of sand paper. Plus a point distributor is easy to hook up and you don,t have that power box.

OP
OP
Zeus78

Zeus78

Reaction score
I notice you still have the power box on the inner fender. Those have a habit of going out when least expected. When mine went bad. I replaced the distributor with a point distributor. Because to me. It is safer. If the points starts going bad. It warns you . If a electronic distributor goes bad--could be driving in heavy traffic---it quits and leave you in a dangereous situation. Changing points isn,t hard and if you watch what you are doing. They last a good while.Most of the time a cleaning of a small pieice of sand paper. Plus a point distributor is easy to hook up and you don,t have that power box.
I'm good with it, been down that road many times with other trucks. Anyone that has owned a 1995 through 2003 heavy/duper duty with a 7.3 diesel, knows they better carry a spare cam position sensor. Same thing happens.
But when you think about it, that electronic modulator is one of a hundred components that could leave you stranded, but I don't think the modulator fails at a high enough rate for me to go back to a points style dizzy. I'd rather just carry a spare modulator with me.
This bronco has two fuel pumps, two batteries, two spare tires, an auxiliary backup light, auxiliary head/off road lights in the front and several fire extinguishers. Heck, I even have dual center consoles and dual exhaust (😂) just in case. Haha.
But seriously, I have been going through this thing to make sure I have a backup system for anything and everything I can do that for.
I offroad with a spare set of axle shafts, alternator, hubs, belts, hoses, fuel line and fluids, I don't mess around. I used to work in the mountains, I learned real fast to be prepared for everything.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
I'm good with it, been down that road many times with other trucks. Anyone that has owned a 1995 through 2003 heavy/duper duty with a 7.3 diesel, knows they better carry a spare cam position sensor. Same thing happens.
But when you think about it, that electronic modulator is one of a hundred components that could leave you stranded, but I don't think the modulator fails at a high enough rate for me to go back to a points style dizzy. I'd rather just carry a spare modulator with me.
This bronco has two fuel pumps, two batteries, two spare tires, an auxiliary backup light, auxiliary head/off road lights in the front and several fire extinguishers. Heck, I even have dual center consoles and dual exhaust (😂) just in case. Haha.
But seriously, I have been going through this thing to make sure I have a backup system for anything and everything I can do that for.
I offroad with a spare set of axle shafts, alternator, hubs, belts, hoses, fuel line and fluids, I don't mess around. I used to work in the mountains, I learned real fast to be prepared for everything.
air? Food,water and tent--in case you have to work under bad weather or sleep in? I had the same in my car .Back where I used to hunt at. Its pays to and glad you do.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
air? Food,water and tent--in case you have to work under bad weather or sleep in? I had the same in my car .Back where I used to hunt at. Its pays to and glad you do.
Another question--before you sale the radiator schroud. Did you put on back on the bronco.? Hopefully I can get the parts off of you and I wouldn,t want you going without a schroud. To dangereous. I was thinking about making one with a place to have parts and tools on it. If I had to tinker.

OP
OP
Zeus78

Zeus78

Reaction score
I'm going to build a raised floor and wheel well storage compartments in the back end. The floor will act as a drawer that can be pulled out onto the tailgate.
I will have carpet remnants, specific tools and spare parts, 2 quick deploy tents, water jug, Jerry can (outside), hi-lift jack, shovel, axe and cooler tie downs on that raised floor.

OP
OP
Zeus78

Zeus78

Reaction score
Another question--before you sale the radiator schroud. Did you put on back on the bronco.? Hopefully I can get the parts off of you and I wouldn,t want you going without a schroud. To dangereous. I was thinking about making one with a place to have parts and tools on it. If I had to tinker.
The 460 in the Bronco requires a larger radiator. I have the rad and shroud in there that I took out of a 71 Lincoln along with the motor.

NotaVegetarian

Reaction score
I'm going to build a raised floor and wheel well storage compartments in the back end. The floor will act as a drawer that can be pulled out onto the tailgate.
I will have carpet remnants, specific tools and spare parts, 2 quick deploy tents, water jug, Jerry can (outside), hi-lift jack, shovel, axe and cooler tie downs on that raised floor.
Post pictures please of this process. I’ve often thought of doing a pull out bed.

OP
OP
Zeus78

Zeus78

Reaction score
i READ ON EASTER W.VA CRAIGSLIST. Where someone has a 460 for $350
Yeah, that doesn't surprise me, they are still pretty easy to find, but they are dinosaurs compared to the motor packages you can drop in these days.
You can get a 5.0L coyote and drop it into just about anything and it's a nasty motor.
The 460 is still a great option, you just have to be mindful of what heads you’re putting on the motor. There are some great heads and some really bad ones that just rob the engine of a lot of power.
I'm very happy with my 460, it'll snap your head back and it doesn’t bog down in thick mud like that old 351M did. I'm a big fan of the 429/460.

OP
OP
Zeus78

Zeus78

Reaction score
Post pictures please of this process. I’ve often thought of doing a pull out bed.
Yeah, I will, I'm not sure when I'm going to get to it, but it’s definitely on the docket.
I need to pull the bench seat out, sand the floor down and apply herculiner first, but I'm thinking I should have it all done in a weekend.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Yeah, I will, I'm not sure when I'm going to get to it, but it’s definitely on the docket.
I need to pull the bench seat out, sand the floor down and apply herculiner first, but I'm thinking I should have it all done in a weekend.
Well don,t bet on it-I do the same thing and seems like something always comes up. I9 got my back-up lght wire ******* good today and it started raining. I did get some all thread to make a bolt to hold the battery down. I tried to get a piece of copper tube today.For the transfer shifter .Where it bolts into the transmisson,but they wouldn,t cut the tube down. I could see buying 10 feet for a six inch piece. I have some hear--finding it is what I,ll have to do.

NotaVegetarian

Reaction score
I understand I’ll would pull all the interior out and prep the floors down and coat. The last time in the 79 covered everything in Rustoleum bed coating that stuff is awesome, so that’s what I used on the 78 this time around. I like it. Been using the spray on bed coating reminds me of a thick powder coating after it’s dried. Tough too

OX1

Reaction score
Yeah, that doesn't surprise me, they are still pretty easy to find, but they are dinosaurs compared to the motor packages you can drop in these days.
You can get a 5.0L coyote and drop it into just about anything and it's a nasty motor.
The 460 is still a great option, you just have to be mindful of what heads you’re putting on the motor. There are some great heads and some really bad ones that just rob the engine of a lot of power.
I'm very happy with my 460, it'll snap your head back and it doesn’t bog down in thick mud like that old 351M did. I'm a big fan of the 429/460.
Coyote requires TVS to get off idle big block torque. My 14 Stang was a dog @ lower RPM before the blower.

OP
OP
Zeus78

Zeus78

Reaction score
I understand I’ll would pull all the interior out and prep the floors down and coat. The last time in the 79 covered everything in Rustoleum bed coating that stuff is awesome, so that’s what I used on the 78 this time around. I like it. Been using the spray on bed coating reminds me of a thick powder coating after it’s dried. Tough too
I've gone a bit overboard with the herculiner. The wife came up with the idea to do the cap with it, well, I took that idea and ran with it. I coated the bumpers I built with it, coated the new floor board I welded in and yeah, I'm going to do the entire floor with it. It's an off road truck, so this is kind if fun to do. It works well.

OP
OP
Zeus78

Zeus78

Reaction score
Coyote requires TVS to get off idle big block torque. My 14 Stang was a dog @ lower RPM before the blower.
I have never messed with a coyote motor, but I've seen a lot of swap and tech videos and I've seen where even Chevy guys are impressed with the technology it has. It's internals and block design are amazing.
I guess it's a wider motor, so a lot of people will go with an LS set up in their hot rods, since it's narrower, but if you're doing an old car and want a modern touch, the coyote is a great option.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo ZEUS ,
Rear Fabrication & Installation in a 78
Source: by natesbronco at FSB

OP
OP
Zeus78

Zeus78

Reaction score
Yo ZEUS ,
Rear Fabrication & Installation in a 78
Source: by natesbronco at FSB
I really like that. His is a bit different than what I'm going to do. I'm going to have a raised floor that will be on rollers, so I'll he able to slide the entire raised floor out onto the tailgate.
The wheel well bins will give me a lot more storage too.
Although, I really need to think about a roll cage, that might alter my plans a bit

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke