Electrical issue has me stumped

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zeus78

Reaction score
Hate this, but I need some suggestions from others that might have gone through this.
Fuse # 11 is for the reverse lights and the washer pump.
Can't get either to work, but according to my multi meter, I have power to and through the fuse (power feeds from the top side of the fuse to the bottom), but I have no power to either accessory. I checked the wires in the engine compartment and they don't look damaged or disconnected.
What could be the issue here?
I also can't get my front marker lights and blinkers to work, but I'm almost positive both sockets are bad. One doesn't even have a ground tab.
All this stuff worked last year.

OP
OP
Zeus78

Zeus78

Reaction score
Thanks, I'll check it out.
I have a Haynes manual, but I'm not seeing anything beyond just wiring out of the fuse block.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Thanks, I'll check it out.
I have a Haynes manual, but I'm not seeing anything beyond just wiring out of the fuse block.
I just got through the same thing your going through. What I started was follow the wire .From the back--reverse light . I tracked it up beside the frame-up the side on drivers side. In through the firewall.To the light switch and fuse box. From their back through the firewall--across and down to the reverse switch. then back across the fire wall to the lights(back up lights and NO POWER. This was after I put in a new CHINA SWITCH-NOTHING. So I ordered a Frod american made swith from Grren Sales company out of Ohio.Put it in. Ran a new wire from the back to the switch. Then a hot wire from the ignition switch and now I have lights. ----------Following the original wire.You will notice it sometimes changes color. The way mine is now.It has 1 color and doesn,t go into the firewall--fuse box or light switch. Alot easier and more simple.Mine is a 78 model.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
I just got through the same thing your going through. What I started was follow the wire .From the back--reverse light . I tracked it up beside the frame-up the side on drivers side. In through the firewall.To the light switch and fuse box. From their back through the firewall--across and down to the reverse switch. then back across the fire wall to the lights(back up lights and NO POWER. This was after I put in a new CHINA SWITCH-NOTHING. So I ordered a Frod american made swith from Grren Sales company out of Ohio.Put it in. Ran a new wire from the back to the switch. Then a hot wire from the ignition switch and now I have lights. ----------Following the original wire.You will notice it sometimes changes color. The way mine is now.It has 1 color and doesn,t go into the firewall--fuse box or light switch. Alot easier and more simple.Mine is a 78 model.
1-800-543-4959. is the number.While your their .Watch the video and see and hear what all they have.Alot of old new parts.

NotaVegetarian

Reaction score
Without touching it would guess it’s a short, but check the connection plug just outside the firewall in the engine bay. Have seen corrosion in these cause all kinds of issues

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Without touching it would guess it’s a short, but check the connection plug just outside the firewall in the engine bay. Have seen corrosion in these cause all kinds of issues
I remember one time dad had a short at the plug-in. What caused it was the stuff they had sprayed aroung the connection. To keep out moisture. During the hot months--over time . It melted into the connection. He unhooked the battery and took a stiff brush and gas and cleaned it out really good and let it dry over night. Thanks for reminding me of dad Veg. Is the gas gauge and speedometer working? I hope so for you.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
The one wire I ran from the back. Connected to the BACK UP LIGHTS--FOLLOW it to the wire behind the motor--Connect it their. . The take a HOT WIRE---that comes off of the IGNITION SWITCH (WHEN YOU TURN IT ON. The wire will be hot. Run it to the other side . Now when you put the transmission. It will trip the SWITCH THAT SCREWS IN BESIDE THE TRANSMISSION AND PUTS POWER TO THE LIGHTS.I hope I explained it good for you. I know wiring can get a person mad at time. When my niece gets hear. I,ll draw a picture and send it.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
yes I agree and get American made sockets and bulbs. This stuff from China is junk. I went through that . The China bulbs will have SILVER TIPS and don,t fit in the sockets snug. American made sockets will be BRASS TIP and fit in American made sockets snug.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
yes I agree and get American made sockets and bulbs. This stuff from China is junk. I went through that . The China bulbs will have SILVER TIPS and don,t fit in the sockets snug. American made sockets will be BRASS TIP and fit in American made sockets snug.
American made BULBS WILL BE BRASS TIP

OP
OP
Zeus78

Zeus78

Reaction score
I think the issue has to be under the hood, because it's both the reverse lights and the washer res pump.
So, I got my new parking light sockets in from Summit yesterday, to my surprise, they worked, but the pass side only worked for a short time, then the hazzards and blinkers quit. But hey, that drivers side marker is working.
I have a new blinker switch to put in and I also think the horn wiring is shorting out. I have a new steering wheel to put on, I'll take care of those items this weekend.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
I think the issue has to be under the hood, because it's both the reverse lights and the washer res pump.
So, I got my new parking light sockets in from Summit yesterday, to my surprise, they worked, but the pass side only worked for a short time, then the hazzards and blinkers quit. But hey, that drivers side marker is working.
I have a new blinker switch to put in and I also think the horn wiring is shorting out. I have a new steering wheel to put on, I'll take care of those items this weekend

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Electrical can cause alot of problems. Especially where they have wires changing colors--in line fuses and going into hard to reach places. They could make it simply,but they couldn,t make any money at their garages. I have a 41 chevrolet pick up. I was telling my friend. I was gonna make my own wiring harness with junction blocks and easy to get too.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Electrical can cause alot of problems. Especially where they have wires changing colors--in line fuses and going into hard to reach places. They could make it simply,but they couldn,t make any money at their garages. I have a 41 chevrolet pick up. I was telling my friend. I was gonna make my own wiring harness with junction blocks and easy to get too.
I made a drawing and will get a picture of it sent.When my niece gets up. She has the phone that takes pictures and help me send it.

OP
OP
Zeus78

Zeus78

Reaction score
Going with a new painless harness has crossed my mind, but up until now, I haven't had very many electrical issues with this. I've had the bronco since '96. Been in a lot of mud and it sat for a good 10 years, so I feel fortunate that I only have these 2 or 3 small issues (and a toasted transmission).

johnnyreb

Reaction score
I made a drawing and will get a picture of it sent.When my niece gets up. She has the phone that takes pictures and help me send it.
Also while you are at it. You might want to go and check--and clean all grounds real good and as Nottaveg said earlier. Check all connection for corrosion and breaks where the wire does into the connection--right at the edge. I had a Neutral Safety switch bad their. The age of the vehicle will have bad wires and dad wire connection with dirt and grim. Just try and take you time--I know it hard. We,ll help you get it done.

OP
OP
Zeus78

Zeus78

Reaction score
I know there is a connector under the hood just beyond the fire wall, but I don't know if that connector has both the reverse lights AND the washer pump in it. If it does, that has to be the issue.
But I read where that connector has 4 wires and the reverse light switch runs back and forth to it, so maybe the res pump doesn’t go through that connector.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Going with a new painless harness has crossed my mind, but up until now, I haven't had very many electrical issues with this. I've had the bronco since '96. Been in a lot of mud and it sat for a good 10 years, so I feel fortunate that I only have these 2 or 3 small issues (and a toasted transmission).
Sat is your answer--wire corrosion and wires getting green on connection. I been fighting one bronco since about 2006. Everything was tore out or wore out and HOPEFULLY--IN THE ===TODAY OR TOMORROW i,LL TAKE IT OUT.HAHAA

johnnyreb

Reaction score
I know there is a connector under the hood just beyond the fire wall, but I don't know if that connector has both the reverse lights AND the washer pump in it. If it does, that has to be the issue.
But I read where that connector has 4 wires and the reverse light switch runs back and forth to it, so maybe the res pump doesn’t go through that connector.
Check it for corrosion and a break in the wire(A) ON BOTH SIDES OF THE CONNECTION. Time and vibration can cause a break their.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Check it for corrosion and a break in the wire(A) ON BOTH SIDES OF THE CONNECTION. Time and vibration can cause a break their.
You might also want to start a list of what you did and what you have to do. That way each time you check something--mark it off and you won,t forget.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke