Electrical Demons

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CaptainHalitosis

Reaction score
Hello Everyone. I am new to the forum and I enjoy it.

I am having ongoing problems with my 93 Bronco (5 liter, manual trans) and none of the locals are able to help me. Maybe you guys can.

I don't know if these are related, but my gut feeling is that they are somehow.

I was frequently blowing the fuse marked "Stop/hazard lamps, anti lock brakes, speed control, stop sense for: electronic engine control" when I stepped on the brakes. I traced the wires, replaced the bulbs, cleaned the terminals and replaced the brake switch at the pedal. None of this worked. On occasion I could go for three or four days without blowing a fuse, so I thought I could live with it. It then quit blowing the fuse as if by magic. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Three months later, I replaced the wheel bearings on the right front of the vehicle. When I went down the road for a test drive, the ABS light came on. When I stopped and shut the Bronco off, it would not restart. I blew a **** Fuse under the hood. This fuse is for ignition and ABS among other things. I started it for a week by arcing across the switch on the fender. Today, I fixed the starting problem. To make a long story less long, it appears that the ABS sensor was grinding on the fins on the hub. I tapped the sensor back with a hammer and I no longer blow the **** fuse and can start the vehicle without the use of pliers.

I now have the ABS warning light on the dash and I am back to blowing the "Stop/hazard lamps, ABS etc." fuse.

Does anyone have any idea what this might be? I have disconnected both Abs sensors and that didn't help. I would really like to fix this without taking it to the Ford Garage and paying a gazillion dollars to find out it is something dumb.

Thanks -- Mike

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
If you are blowing fuses, whether they are the small ones or other, you most likely have a shorted wire somewhere. I had a simialr problem, and finally found a wire touching the leaf springs under the driver's side rear axle. It sounds like your short is in the brake system, so carefully trace the wiring for that and the lights. Mine would be fine for a while, but blow a fuse more often on rainy days or bumpy roads, as the wire came in contact with the springs. Look for a burnt spot, or use a meter to check voltage at various points. Welcome to BroncoZone!!!

K

kris

Hello Everyone. I am new to the forum and I enjoy it.
I am having ongoing problems with my 93 Bronco (5 liter, manual trans) and none of the locals are able to help me. Maybe you guys can.

I don't know if these are related, but my gut feeling is that they are somehow.

I was frequently blowing the fuse marked "Stop/hazard lamps, anti lock brakes, speed control, stop sense for: electronic engine control" when I stepped on the brakes. I traced the wires, replaced the bulbs, cleaned the terminals and replaced the brake switch at the pedal. None of this worked. On occasion I could go for three or four days without blowing a fuse, so I thought I could live with it. It then quit blowing the fuse as if by magic. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Three months later, I replaced the wheel bearings on the right front of the vehicle. When I went down the road for a test drive, the ABS light came on. When I stopped and shut the Bronco off, it would not restart. I blew a **** Fuse under the hood. This fuse is for ignition and ABS among other things. I started it for a week by arcing across the switch on the fender. Today, I fixed the starting problem. To make a long story less long, it appears that the ABS sensor was grinding on the fins on the hub. I tapped the sensor back with a hammer and I no longer blow the **** fuse and can start the vehicle without the use of pliers.

I now have the ABS warning light on the dash and I am back to blowing the "Stop/hazard lamps, ABS etc." fuse.

Does anyone have any idea what this might be? I have disconnected both Abs sensors and that didn't help. I would really like to fix this without taking it to the Ford Garage and paying a gazillion dollars to find out it is something dumb.

Thanks -- Mike
1 either put a bigger fuse in it (even if it says other wise)

or

2 just rewire form the fuse box to the switch...i used to have the same problem with that fuse so i just put one size bigger and it worked fine, just be carefull if you rewire it cuz its sometimes a b*!^# to deal with.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23