efi to carb

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hausey5419

Reaction score
hey guys this is some really good info i got a 89 efi 5.0 i wanna go carb w the main thing im wondering about is wiring like my factory gauges my aod tranny shifting and distributior i drive mine every day i want it to be simpiler but still functional

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
hey guys this is some really good info i got a 89 efi 5.0 i wanna go carb w the main thing im wondering about is wiring like my factory gauges my aod tranny shifting and distributior i drive mine every day i want it to be simpiler but still functional
As far as the AOD tranny goes, you'll need to figure out a way to attach the T.V./ kickdown cable, since that's needed to control shifts. My opinion, it would be easier if the tranny was a C6. The dizzy will need to be swapped over to a DuraSpark II or HEI, since the TFI dizzy from your EFi won't work. The gauges won't be affected, as long as the sneding units stay intact. The oil pressure will be fine, but water temp may be changed if you change intake manifolds. JSM84

hausey5419

Reaction score
If you're crazy, I am, too. I converted my 88 460 to carb when I swapped it into my 84 Bronco. You'll need a low pressure (4-7 psi) electric fuel pump to replace the in-tank pump and frame-mounted pump. i'd also get rid of the rest of the fuel sytem junk except for the filter. I installed a 15-gal fuel cell in the bed, since the 33-gal stock tank hangs so low underneath the frame. As for the ignition, you can install a DuraSpark II set-up, or go with an HEI dizzy to make things alot simpler. I found an HEI dizzy for my 460 on ebay for $70 shipped, JSM84

hausey5419

Reaction score
will my heads work w an aftermarket intake and as long as i fab someting to mount the cable the tranny will shift too wonder how the gas mileage compares carb to efi

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
The heads should work with a carbed intake. Gas mileage will likely be less with a carb than the MPFI. I'm in chat if you'd like to visit more, and get the specifics on your problems. JSM84

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J’s Bronco