Distributor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big Country

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have heard a couple of ways to get the engine back in the right position to drop the distributor. I was wondering if any of you had any ideas.

Yardape

Reaction score
Pull Number 1 spark plug, stuff a ***** driver in the hole, be gentle LOL. Get someone to turn the engine over by hand until the screwdriver reaches its highest point, as your holding it you will feel it come up then stop then go back down, when it reaches that point you stop there. Replace spark plug. then put the cap back on the dist, locate the one on the cap. Mark where the cap meets the base of the dist with a marker of some sort in line with the number 1 post on the cap. remove the cap. insert the dist, twist the rotor about a quarter inch counter clockwise from your mark as you are lowering it in. you should then see it twist back to where it should be as it meshes with the camshaft gears, If it is not enough, pull it again and move approx one more tooth. If your happy with that put a small amount of downward pressure and bump over the starter, either yourself with a screwdriver across the solinoid or from a friend with the key, make sure you are putting the pressure on, as it engages the oil pump it will drop another half inch or so. Fire it up, you have a 50 percent chance you got it right or that its 180 degrees out, if its out it will backfire badly. Remove the cap, mark the location of the rotor, pull the dist out, re-install turned 180 degrees from your mark using the above process. Should run like a champ.

OP
OP
Big Country

Big Country

Reaction score
thanks yardape,

if i have some one crank it by hand is that just the safer route, or can i crank it witht eh sullenoid? I don't really have any help...

Seabronc

Reaction score
You can buy a bump switch from some place like Auto Zone for around 10.00. You hook it to the battery and the terminal on the start solenoid that the key goes to ( small red with blue stripe wire). With that you can crank it while you are under the hood.

Good luck,

:)>-

OP
OP
Big Country

Big Country

Reaction score
well it went in but not all the way, so i cranked while the bolt tightened it down making sure not to force anything. will get to changing the fuel pump tomorrow. let ya'll know how it goes.

freak

Reaction score
Make sure when number one's up top that your on the compression stroke.Other wise it won't start.

OP
OP
Big Country

Big Country

Reaction score
thanks, i doubt i will get to the pump tonight, it's dark by the time i get home from work. i will let yall know this weekend. Merry Christmas, and for those that don't believe in CHRISTmas, I feel sorry for you

pastorbud

Reaction score
thanks, i doubt i will get to the pump tonight, it's dark by the time i get home from work. i will let yall know this weekend. Merry Christmas, and for those that don't believe in CHRISTmas, I feel sorry for you
There's a mark on the pulley on the crankshaft that lines up with a pointer that you use to set the timing. It's visible at about the "11:00" point of the pulley, just below the alternator. Zero degrees, or TDC, or TC marks Top Dead Center.

That my be easier or safer than pulling a plug. But sometimes rust and gunk make the numbers hard to read. And you can still get it 180 degrees out.

I did.

Both times.

But it runs good now!

There is a "how-to" on this somewhere on the site. Just can't find it now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sufferedformula