Diff gears

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rednek

Reaction score
I found out it has 3.73 gears not 3.55 gears. If i were to get 4.10 or 4.56 i would be getting less take off speed and better pulling power...

Basically im asking. 3.73 will turn the wheel more then 4.10. but is it too high of gears? I do alot of street driving. about every weekend i go mudding :rolleyes:

is it worth it changing gears from 3.73 to 4.10? I will be going slower right?

BLADE262US

Reaction score
Well I wouldnt say your going to loose your take off on the contrary its going to go like **** off the take off but it will come to the end of the motor sooner and youll be running higher RPM to maintain lets say 60 MPH than you would with the 3:73 . But the mechanical advantage of the 4:10 will get her moving . I run 4:10 in my 89 with 35 inch tires and a very healthy injected 5.8 that I built and there is no lack of power but definately not a highway machine . You should measure your actual tire height as well most companies over rate the height . Your 37,s may be only 35 tall . 3:73,s are a good all around gear I know the charts will say you should be running 4:10 ro 4:56 , But Im sure you wouldnt be happy with how it drives after that . :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

BLADE262US

Reaction score
Rednek I just noticed in your sig that you have a 92 with a 5.8 that Im sure is speed density EFI . I know you posted earlier about the truck haveing lack of power hence the need or wanting to regear . After seeing that you have an RV cam in it did you put it in ? Did a shop put it in ? Im asking because on the speed density EFI you cant just randomly throw a cam in there . The EEC is programmed to know that that cam lobe is going to have that valve open at the degree of crankshaft rotation and open for this duration . If you throw a cam in that is not even close to this you will have a dog it cant make any power . Comp cams makes one specifically for the 5,8 EFI thats the one I used and have been very happy with it . If you do it yourself a cam will be cheaper than gears and probably solve your problem . See if you can find the info on the cam you have . :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Broncobill78

Reaction score
I found out it has 3.73 gears not 3.55 gears. If i were to get 4.10 or 4.56 i would be getting less take off speed and better pulling power...Basically im asking. 3.73 will turn the wheel more then 4.10. but is it too high of gears? I do alot of street driving. about every weekend i go mudding :rolleyes:

is it worth it changing gears from 3.73 to 4.10? I will be going slower right?
As Blade mentioned, just *what* is the history of this engine and specifically the cam installation ? Was it installed by you, a shop or a previous owner ? Do you have the spec sheet that came with the cam (I've *never* seen a cam that didn't come w/a spec sheet or card and it has info that you really want). Was the cam degreed ? Degreeing your cam can make more of a difference than you know, most shops do it automatically but a prev owner may have just cranked it in and been done with it in which case there might be a lot more juice available to you. A degree wheel is a pretty easy thing to buy or even download. Print it, cut it our & then paste it to a cardboard backing if you want.

As far as the tires go, Assuming they're 37's and as always :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Blade is correct in suggesting that you measure them yourself so you know for sure what you're dealing with but again, assuming they ARE 37's then the best gear would be a 4.56, a 4.10 will certainly be an improvement over a 3.55 or a 3.73 but a 4.56 will get you closest to the proper final ratio and into the engine's power band improving the feel, throttle response, mileage and power of the truck.

Last edited by a moderator:

zach351

Reaction score
if u are still running the 37 in graplers i would go with the 4.10 gears especially if u go muddin on a regular basis. u wont loose speed on the take off but like somone said u will be running higher rpm's at a slower speed but to me i it would be well worth the change.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23