Diesel Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

letrain

Reaction score
is it possible to swap over to diesel in my bronco, like getting a new powerstroke engine and fitting it? what would ih ave to do in order to get it to work?? motor mounts, new elec, anything i'm going to need, etc.. thank you hope you can help

beau

azrockrat

Reaction score
i have seen one bronc that had the swap but you will need all new everything to get it to work

89 Bronco

:D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> That would be *******...I have thought about doing this myself. Im currently looking for a wrecked f250 or a f350 that I could salvage from. That way I could see how it is in the donor truck before I swapped it. They did come from the factory with the powerstroke in the 4doors known as a Centurion. Better save your pennys....they aint cheap. lol. I was also thinking about putting the transfercase and rear end in it also. with a leaf spring dana 60...One ton powerstroke bronco...sounds bad ass. good luck :)>-

Txquadhunter

Reaction score
like 89 bronco stated. get a wrecked F350 4x4 with good drive train to do the swap. that way you get the bullet proof dana 60 up front. could go F250 HD but you'll get the D50 TTB frontend might as well go with the 60 and do it right the first time. right now the 1/2ton D44 TTB in the bronco won't hold the extra wieght of the deisel. beside fabbing up front leaf perches it'll swap right over with a donner truck.

davids78bronco

fabricator extraordinaire
Reaction score
Would the Bronco's frame be able to handle the extra weight and stress tho? I'm thinking not. I had wondered about shortening a complete donor truck, but I also wondered about the placement of the donor frame's body mounts, and the frame's width - if custom body mounts were needed

G

;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Good call dave...I wasnt thinking about the the weight of the power stroke...I have done the axle swaps many times with friends But we have kept the stock 302 or 351's in them. I would probably do the same with shortining a donor truck. Probably a F350 4x4 powerstroke standard cab longbed. Like one that was rolled over or something...junk the body..shorten the frame.and fab up some body mounts. I have an f150 front clip on my bronco so im pretty sure the front body mounts would work...as for the rest of the body mounts...custom made.......ya I know it sounds easy. $-)

89 bronco

;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Good call dave...I wasnt thinking about the the weight of the power stroke...I have done the axle swaps many times with friends But we have kept the stock 302 or 351's in them. I would probably do the same with shortining a donor truck. Probably a F350 4x4 powerstroke standard cab longbed. Like one that was rolled over or something...junk the body..shorten the frame.and fab up some body mounts. I have an f150 front clip on my bronco so im pretty sure the front body mounts would work...as for the rest of the body mounts...custom made.......ya I know it sounds easy. $-)

Gunner

Reaction score
damn it david you beat me to these things everytime. put it this way my uncle did the diesel swap to his 79ranger f250 and once it was all said and done he drove it for 3 days and had to junk it because he warped the frame and it was more money than the truck was worth to fix all the damage and reconvert back over to gas. in my opnion i would rather a gas engine anyway. but that could be becasue i have no clue how to work on diesels.

A

aaron

B) I have a 93 im considering putting a powersoke in, i have a friend with an 86 with a 6.9L diesel with stock running gear and has been problem free for years. if anyone does decide to get a donner truck to work off of, i would not put a solid front axel in beacause the frames were not meant for it.

davids78bronco

Reaction score
Take this how you will aaron, but that's BS - solid axle swaps are done far more often than you, apparently, realize. It's the diesel swap that's not a good idea, especially with a stock 6.9L. You talk about the frames not being made for it, it's definitely not made for a massive diesel

Raven

Reaction score
considering the frames of most 1/2, 3/4 and 1 tons trucks were all the same the frame shouldnot be an issue .. I am not sure if the bronco frame is the same as F150 .. but pretty sure it is . most of the differances between them all were the suspention part to make them into there respective class

amcabbott

Reaction score
find a short wheel base f series thats been rolled and put your body on it. you will need to have the frame cut but all the suspension parts fuel tanks pumps will all be origional. and it should be a bolt up. I have a friend with a 1988 ford ranger with a stock isusu diesel in it. ford made very few of them. the truck has no extra's on the suspension its a stock v6 gas ranger 4x4 frame. how about swapping in a diesel out of something else like a turbo diesel out of a nissian 4x4 more torque and horse power then a stock 5.0 and less weight.good luck

OP
OP
L

letrain

Reaction score
i found a 7.3 diesel, should i try putting it in the bronco?? or not? its out of an 86 f250.

Gunner

Reaction score
ok apparently people will argue with me and davids but i have seen it warp a frame. and now your talking about a bigger diesel? unless that thing is made of foam or you dont like your bronco i wouldnt do it. but thats me.

OP
OP
L

letrain

Reaction score
i'm not arguing i understand what you both are saying, i'm just crazy, i'll bolt crossmembers in to strengthen frame but its probably more then that.

Gunner

Reaction score
Bolting cross members isnt a good idea becasue the more holes you drill in the frame the weaker it gets. now if you weld cross members in key places along the entire frame (not just the front becasue the weight will distribute through the whole frame) it actually may be possible. i wouldnt do it myself though. i would have an engineer calculate where the cross members should go to distribute the weight evenly.

davids78bronco

Reaction score
This may be the only time I'll disagree with Gunner, but welding in crossmembers isn't such a good idea. Simply because it will stiffen up the frame significantly, making for a more harsh ride, and contributing to a harder ride by the diesel engine. Also, welding on the frame can cause that area of the frame to become more brittle, because of the heat it takes to weld. While it's rare for a truck to fall apart from welding on it, the possibility is there, especially with a stock 1/2ton frame holding up a 1000lb engine. Bolting in crossmembers allow the frame to flex at least almost as much as it was designed to do. I know it may seem difficult to understand a Bronco frame flexing much at all, with the body tub running nearly the full length of the frame, but it does flex, and is designed to flex. Not only to help give a, somewhat, softer ride, but to keep the truck from falling apart fro the rigors of everyday driving, engine torque, and the abuse some of us do, when we take it offroad

Gunner

Reaction score
thats a good point i was just thinking about stopping the warp factor wasnt thinking of the frame flex. but just for the record 1000lbs is a 1/2 ton. so the frame can handle as long as you never hit a bump :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

7.3crawler

Reaction score
I swapped a '93 IDI 7.3 into my '88, I also have an '87 f-350 that I swapped an '84 6.9 into. Both conversions work excellent. The frame on my Bronco and F-350 have the same dimensions and thickness, I haven't had ANY structural problems with my stock Bronco axles and suspension, I do a lot of offroading and plow snow in the winter. My 7.3 has an ATS turbo, I would estimate the horsepower to be around 200, but I now have gobs more torque and best of all 20mpg! The only thing I did to my suspension is add firestone airbags to the front, they fit inside of the coil springs. I also have a custom tubular front bumper with a Warn 9000# winch, and my snowplow mount/hydraulic pump. I would guess that between the diesel and the bumper/winch/plow mount/pump, it is about 800lbs. heavier, But man I sure love the power, torque, smell, economy,and sound of the diesel! Keep in mind though, I own an automotive repair shop and do this kind of thing for a living. This is a VERY large project, it took me five ten hour days to get it done, and I have done it before. There are a lot of small things that will need to be done that you may not realize now, but if I had it to do over I would definately do it again. Dan.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ReturnToHangar