Code Reader.....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kschirman

Reaction score
Joe, great self test step by step. THe only thing i noticed was that my 1990 Bronco doesnt have the OD switch and it takes roughly 30 seconds after you perform the power steering test for the light to blink to indicate the accelerator test.

Thanks again!

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Are all 1995 set up this way? I thought 95 was the year they started converting to odbII? Just curious cause I thought my 95 is odbII, but ill double check.
your 95 Bronco doesn't have OBD II; unless a prev owner made a swap

some info for you;

All cars and light trucks built and sold in the United States after January 1, 1996 were required to be OBD II equipped. In general, this means all 1996 model year cars and light trucks are compliant, even if built in late 1995.

Two factors will show if your vehicle is definitely OBD II equipped:

1) There will be an OBD II connector as shown below, and

2) There will be a note on a sticker or nameplate under the hood: "OBD II compliant".

http://www.obdii.com/images/connectorblue.GIF

The conn will be under da ashtray

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
it does get confusing at times, huh?

Sometimes I forget what a carb looks like,,,lol

I do miss the 78 tho; maybe I'll get one someday and restore that; but the state wants the dinos off da road here; so I guess we're 1'4--20'ed

and my memory is going, going almost gone... the ODB II Connector is under of ashtray, butto right

Boss Has a cord plugged into it (end rolled up on tranny hum carpet) in this pic

http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/757663/original/dsc_0010.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

wes393

Reaction score
For the Key On Engine Running codes you say to press the OD switch which im assuming is for an Automatic transmission. What would the process be for a Manual? I tried to pull the KOER, got half way through, and remembered that i dont have an OD switch :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo; here is da skinny;

"...There are two types of EEC Self-Tests, Key On Engine Off (KOEO) and Key On Engine Running (KOER). \While both of these will test for various "hard faults" that are present when the test is run, the processor continuously monitors various operating parameters whenever the engine is running. If the processor detects a problem, it will store a "Continuous Memory" code and light the MIL. These Continuous Memory codes are put out during KOEO Test after any codes associated with hard faults are output. Self-Test Codes are displayed by flashing the MIL. They are also output as voltage pulses on the Self-Test Output (STO) circuit in the Self-Test connector. In either Self-Test mode, all codes are output twice and in KOEO, the hard fault codes are separated from the Continuous Memory codes by a "separator" pulse.

A technician that is unfamiliar with the EEC Self-Test can mistakenly believe that continuous Memory codes are not present when they really are. He may run KOER Test and get a pass code (111) and not realize that KOEO Self-Test must be run to receive any Continuous Memory codes. He may run KOEO Test while counting MIL flashes and misinterpret the repeated hard fault pass code (111) to mean that Continuous Memory does not contain any codes...." READ MORE;

"...The self-test plugs were mounted on the passenger side fender on 1985-86 EFI trucks; The self-test plugs are located along the driver's side fender behind the air filter box on 87-95 EFI trucks..."; miesk5 NOTE; Self-Test Input (STI) is the Pin in the Lt gray Connector and Signal Return Ground (STO/SIGRET) is Pin E in black Connector in 87-95;

The engine temperature must be greater than 50°F (10°C) to pass the KOEO Test and greater than 180°F (82°C) to pass the KOER Test.

Run it around to heat the engine up and shift thru all gears incl Reverse. Then turn off all accessories/lights, etc. Make sure A/C is off and transmission is in Park (automatic) or in Neutral for a Manual & release clutch. Do Key On Engine Off (KOEO) portion first. On all vehicles equipped with a 4.9L ENGINE, the clutch must be depressed during the KOEO Test. On all vehicles equipped with a 7.3L DIESEL ENGINE, the throttle must be depressed (WOT) during the entire Key On Engine Off Self-Test.

Engine ID codes are issued at the beginning of the KOER Test and are one-digit numbers represented by the number of pulses sent out. For gasoline engines, the engine ID code is equal to one-half the number of engine cylinders (i.e. 2 pulses = 4 cylinders). For the 7.3L Diesel engine, the ID code = 5. These codes are used to verify the proper PCM is installed and that the Self-Test has been entered.

The dynamic response check is used on some applications to verify operation of the TP, MAF, MAP and KS sensors during the brief Wide-Open Throttle (WOT) performed during the KOER Test. The signal for the operator to perform the brief WOT is a single pulse...

On vehicles equipped with Power Steering Pressure (PSP) switch, the steering wheel must be turned one-half turn and released AFTER the ID Code has been displayed. This tests the ability of the EEC system to detect a change of state in the PSP switch...On vehicles equipped with Brake On/Off (BOO) input, the brake pedal MUST be depressed and released AFTER the ID Code has been displayed. This tests the ability of the EEC system to detect a change of state in the Brake Lamp Switch.

On vehicles equipped with Transmission Control Switch (TCS) , the switch must be cycled after the ID code has been displayed. This tests the ability of the EEC system to detect a change of state in the TCS. During KOER test; On vehicles equipped with the Brake On/Off (BOO) circuit, the brake pedal MUST be depressed and released AFTER the ID code. On vehicles equipped with the Power Steering Pressure (PSP) switch, within 1 to 2 seconds after the ID code, the steering wheel must be turned at least one-half turn and released. On vehicles equipped with E4OD transmission, the Transmission Control Switch (TCS) must be cycled after the ID code. The Dynamic Response code is a single pulse that occurs 6-20 seconds after the engine running identification code. When/if the Dynamic Response code occurs, perform a brief wide open throttle.

Look Codes up in my broncolinks.com site using the new Search function.

note that da:

TCS = Transmission Control Indicator Light (TCIL); on E4OD it is ref to as the OD on/off LED/Switch @ end of tranny gear stalk

Power Steering Pressure Switch is screwed into the high pressure port of the PS pump(5.0L Only); &

The Power Steering Pressure Switch signals the EEC Module when power steering pressure exceeds 350 psi ±50. The engine then increases idle speed to compensate for the additional load. It appears the switch was deleted from the '94 model year. It only shows up in the diagrams until '93. the switch is directly above the steering box."

Source: by Sportruk

Joe Godoy

Reaction score
My friends 1992 E150 6 cylinder van just quit on him while driving on the freeway. While trying to start the engine the engine barely cranks over but if I jumped the Starter Solenoid it would crank over really good but even with the Key in the run position it would not start and run. I replaced the Ignition Switch and Starter Solenoid but that was no help. It is still the same (although slightly better due to the new contacts). I will try to check the codes when I get back out there today. Does anyone have any ideas other then the battery? The battery checks out on a load tester although the voltage does drop to about 8 volts while cranking so I am going to be trying a new battery just in case that is the issue. It seems to me, that it took 9V minimum so fire an electronic ignition. We have been trying to use a battery charger with a start feature.

In any case, I cant do a KOER test because we cant get the engine running. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Joe

defiant

Reaction score
I just pulled codes on 1989 with 5.8 efi code 63 over and over can you tell me what it stands for ! thank you

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo D,

DTC 63 Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) voltage too low.

Bad or misadjusted TPS,

TB base idle mis-set,

binding throttle cable

Suspect open TP sensor, or wiring/harness issues such as connector/terminal corrosion, etc.

Test by Ryan M

slow to load

for following, use this diagram by beetlejuice[/url];

TPS is on right side, about middle of page

1236.jpg

&

Connector Pin Outs, Bronco & Ford Truck in 85-95

eecconnectors.jpg

Source: by Steve83 (Steve, That dirty old truck) at SuperMotors.net

Key off.

l TP sensor disconnected.

Key on, engine off.

Measure voltage between VREF circuit and SIG RTN circuit at the TP sensor vehicle harness connector.

Is voltage between 4.0 and 6.0 volts?

Yes, REPLACE TP sensor. RERUN Quick Test.

No, Key off. RECONNECT all components. GO to Pinpoint Test Step C1.

C1 CHECK VEHICLE BATTERY POWER CIRCUIT;

Key off.

Disconnect Powertrain Control Module (PCM).

Inspect for damaged or pushed out pins, corrosion, loose wires, etc. Service as necessary.

Install breakout box and connect PCM to breakout box.

breakout box test pins numbers are same as EEC's pin numbers:

Key on, engine off.

Measure voltage between Test Pin 37 at the breakout box and SIG RTN circuit in the Data Link Connector (DLC).

Note voltage.

Measure voltage across battery terminals.

Note voltage. Are both voltages greater than 10.5 volts, and are both voltages within 1.0 volt of each other?

Yes, GO to C2.

No Key Off, RECONNECT sensor (if applicable).

GO to B1.

I don't have the B2 nor C2, yet.

so,

A NON-Ford NEW TPS failure is sad to say, a common nuisance; I had a new switch fall apart in my hands recently, as well as other crapola parts from CH...

Also TSB 89-14-07 TPS Screws

Publication Date: JULY 14, 1989

FORD: 1983-89 CROWN VICTORIA, MUSTANG, TEMPO, THUNDERBIRD

1984-89 ******

1986-89 TAURUS

LINCOLN-MERCURY: 1983-89 CONTINENTAL, COUGAR, GRAND MARQUIS, MARK VII, TOPAZ, TOWN CAR

1984-87 LYNX

MERKUR: 1985-89 ALL MERKUR LINES

LIGHT TRUCK: 1983-89 ALL LIGHT TRUCK LINES

ISSUE: All Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) mounting screws have a "Pozidrive" head. The "Pozidrive" head looks a lot like a Phillips ***** head. Use of a Phillips head screwdriver to remove a "Pozidrive" ***** will normally result in a rounded or damaged ***** head. Many technicians think it is an overtorqued or "frozen" *****. An adhesive was also used as a thread sealant starting with the 1988 model year. This adhesive requires still more effort to loosen and remove the *****.

ACTION: To prevent rounded or damaged ***** heads when servicing the TPS mounting screws, technicians should always use a #2 "Pozidrive" screwdriver.

defiant

Reaction score
yo D,

DTC 63 Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) voltage too low.

Bad or misadjusted TPS,

TB base idle mis-set,

binding throttle cable

Suspect open TP sensor, or wiring/harness issues such as connector/terminal corrosion, etc.

Test by Ryan M

slow to load

for following, use this diagram by beetlejuice[/url];

TPS is on right side, about middle of page

1236.jpg

&

Connector Pin Outs, Bronco & Ford Truck in 85-95

eecconnectors.jpg

Source: by Steve83 (Steve, That dirty old truck) at SuperMotors.net

Key off.

l TP sensor disconnected.

Key on, engine off.

Measure voltage between VREF circuit and SIG RTN circuit at the TP sensor vehicle harness connector.

Is voltage between 4.0 and 6.0 volts?

Yes, REPLACE TP sensor. RERUN Quick Test.

No, Key off. RECONNECT all components. GO to Pinpoint Test Step C1.

C1 CHECK VEHICLE BATTERY POWER CIRCUIT;

Key off.

Disconnect Powertrain Control Module (PCM).

Inspect for damaged or pushed out pins, corrosion, loose wires, etc. Service as necessary.

Install breakout box and connect PCM to breakout box.

breakout box test pins numbers are same as EEC's pin numbers:

Key on, engine off.

Measure voltage between Test Pin 37 at the breakout box and SIG RTN circuit in the Data Link Connector (DLC).

Note voltage.

Measure voltage across battery terminals.

Note voltage. Are both voltages greater than 10.5 volts, and are both voltages within 1.0 volt of each other?

Yes, GO to C2.

No Key Off, RECONNECT sensor (if applicable).

GO to B1.

I don't have the B2 nor C2, yet.

so,

A NON-Ford NEW TPS failure is sad to say, a common nuisance; I had a new switch fall apart in my hands recently, as well as other crapola parts from CH...

Also TSB 89-14-07 TPS Screws

Publication Date: JULY 14, 1989

FORD: 1983-89 CROWN VICTORIA, MUSTANG, TEMPO, THUNDERBIRD

1984-89 ******

1986-89 TAURUS

LINCOLN-MERCURY: 1983-89 CONTINENTAL, COUGAR, GRAND MARQUIS, MARK VII, TOPAZ, TOWN CAR

1984-87 LYNX

MERKUR: 1985-89 ALL MERKUR LINES

LIGHT TRUCK: 1983-89 ALL LIGHT TRUCK LINES

ISSUE: All Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) mounting screws have a "Pozidrive" head. The "Pozidrive" head looks a lot like a Phillips ***** head. Use of a Phillips head screwdriver to remove a "Pozidrive" ***** will normally result in a rounded or damaged ***** head. Many technicians think it is an overtorqued or "frozen" *****. An adhesive was also used as a thread sealant starting with the 1988 model year. This adhesive requires still more effort to loosen and remove the *****.

ACTION: To prevent rounded or damaged ***** heads when servicing the TPS mounting screws, technicians should always use a #2 "Pozidrive" screwdriver.
Thamk you I will let you know how i make out! also thanks for the heads up on pozidrive !!

bootjack

Reaction score
broncojoe19,

in doing the KOER test on my 92 Ranger the system did not respond in the manner you have written....it gave one very brief flash more like a flicker then started flashing a 998 code followed by a 224 code! Is the PCM programed to do this when there is a 998 code in the KOER test, just bypass the other flashes or steps and just dump out the 998 code? Thanks.

Medic2DaResq

Reaction score
DSCN0855.JPGDSCN0855.JPG |-)/> Well I ran the KOEO self test on my 1993 Bronco and was slightly confused the first time around, and I'm not sure that I was any more confident the second or third time.Second and third attempt did produce the exact same codes.I was confused about one thing, I read that after starting engine, if you get one flash,you are to rapidly but briefly depress accelerator wide open.Then it should flash "Engine Id" code,( my 8 cyl should flash 4 times). After EI code I am to depress brake pedal, turn wheel 1/2 turn and push OD button twice.But then it sais after 6-20 sec pause,I may see single flash and I should punch accelerator,then after 4-15 sec pause it should start displaying codes.I did get single flash after starting engine so I punched throttle, I then got 1 flash,pause,then 4 flashes,short pause then1 quick flash,short pause 7 flashes,2 flashes then short pause with 1 quick flash,again 7-2. I didn't receive any more flashes after that.Should I not have accelerated after the initial 1 flash immediately after starting engine? My KOEO test came out even more confusing,seems like flashes were faster and more of them.Any help you can give me would be appreciated so much.

Skitter302

Staff member
Reaction score
Hope this is the right area to post this question...

I would like to get a Reader for my 1989 Full-size but don't know what to get. What should I be looking at buying? I would like to get a Reader w/ Display (if I wanted to look at lights I'd do it the hard way.) My budget is $0-$75.

I've seen the Equus 3145 but I want to know if their are other options out their.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo Medic2DaResq,

Sorry for the delay in replying, I had to get some body work done (not on the Bronco, my bod..lol)

Fast DTCs are issued before slow service DTCs. These DTCs contain the identical information as the slow DTCs, but are transmitted at 100 times the normal rate. These DTCs are interpreted by special equipment at the end of the assembly line by the Body and Assembly Division, as well as the SUPER STAR II tester. After Fast DTCs have been output, Self-Test should not be exited (remove jumper, unlatch button, etc.) until all the Slow DTCs have been output. Exiting before slow DTCs have been output will erase any Continuous Memory DTCs.

Some meters in service detect these codes as a short burst of information (slight meter deflection).

Ryan M also addresses this in his self test @

http://oldfuelinjection.com/?p=13

When the “Check Engine” light blinks during the test you will get several different blinks, the separation time between blinks is used to indicate what information is being displayed.

Turn key to RUN.

You will hear some relays engage and the fuel pumps prime the system. This is the EEC beginning the test.

The fuel pumps will stop and the EEC will now begin giving codes.

You may catch a brief flickering of the light. This is a rapid code read that is used by the code readers you can purchase. Do not worry all those rapid flashes you just say flicker buy will now be given at a slower pace of �, 2, & 4 second pauses.

First digit of first KOEO code (1/2 second between blinks)

2 second pause

Second digit of first KOEO code (1/2 second between blinks)

4 second pause

Next KOEO code

Once all KOEO codes are read the EEC will repeat them

6 second pause

Single Separator Blink (this indicates the change from KOEO codes to CM codes)

6 second pause

Codes from Continues Memory (uses same 1/2, 2, and 4 second timing as KOEO codes and also repeats them)

If nothing has been recorded by the EEC since last battery disconnect you will see:

Blink – 2 sec – blink – 4 sec – blink – 2 sec – blink – 6 sec – blink – 6 sec – blink – 2 sec – blink – 4 sec – blink – 2 sec � blink

This translates into 11-11 current condition (KOEO) and 11-11 in the continues memory (CM); or SYSTEMPASS

This may seem hard to count; recommendation is to record codes with slashes, and to lump them all together. Sort them out into numerical codes later. Here is an example of this

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo SKIITER,

the Equus 3145 is good.

Actron CP9015 is =

Post Coses found here by

KOEO

and

KOER

suckered in too it

Reaction score
hi every one i need some help i have a 1995 bronco 5.0 i have tryed reading my codes but no light came on dash took it apart and found that the bulb burnt out. replaced the bulb light works but when i by pass it like all the instructions say nothing happins i could use some help please..email [email protected]

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fryman22