Code Reader.....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BroncoJoe19

Reaction score
ok thanks I do have a voltmeter, I guess in the Haynes manual it states how to adjust it... think its supposed to be 1.0 volts right
Yes in my edition of the book on page 4-22 it states to check it, it should be between 0.50 volts and 1.0 volts at idle. Later on page 4-23 it states when replacing it "rotate the sensor until the output voltage is 1.0 volt."

Well I couldn't get it exactly at 1.0 volt! A little above or below, but NOT just 1.0

So I opted to set it between 0.5 and 1.0 as close to 1.0 as possible, I think I am at .96

OP
OP
B-Cack

B-Cack

Reaction score
Yoda Joe,

I read your other thread about getting a new gasket for the Throttle Body, just curious as to how long it took you to replace yours and the TPS. I started looking under the hood today and it seems like quite a project. Also when the TB was off, did you just spay it down with carb cleaner or what... and then just put it back on? Like I said I am off to the store to see if they have any gaskets, hopefully so... I am planning on going to the lake this weekend and need to decide if I am going to tear it apart before or after.... I have to admit I read your other thread about how your Bronco ran better and am interested in trying to clean that throttle body as long as I won't mess anything up? thanks

BroncoJoe19

Reaction score
Yoda Joe,
I read your other thread about getting a new gasket for the Throttle Body, just curious as to how long it took you to replace yours and the TPS. I started looking under the hood today and it seems like quite a project. Also when the TB was off, did you just spay it down with carb cleaner or what... and then just put it back on? Like I said I am off to the store to see if they have any gaskets, hopefully so... I am planning on going to the lake this weekend and need to decide if I am going to tear it apart before or after.... I have to admit I read your other thread about how your Bronco ran better and am interested in trying to clean that throttle body as long as I won't mess anything up? thanks
In order to do the TPS, you HAVE to pull the throttle body off. They didn't make that magic little ratchet upside down twisted screwdriver with a mirror and ***** holder yet.

I read that some have done the job in as little as 20 minutes. Honestly it took me about 2 hours. I wasn't rushing at all, and spent a good amount of the time cleaning the throttle body, and being environmentally friendly to not get any fluids on the ground.

I didn't have a can of carb cleaner, but had a bottle of injecter cleaner, so I just brushed it on and off with an old toothbrush. It worked fine. If I had carb cleaner I would have used that.

Overall.. it was an easy job.

Hope this helps

joe

OP
OP
B-Cack

B-Cack

Reaction score
Joe,

Thanks for the tips, since it took you two hours I think it will take me about 4 or as I like to say " a twelve pack" to get through with the job... of course I am by no means a good mechanic. I did see some small hoses that I am going to replace too while I'm dirty. I am hoping to get it done either mostly this evening when it cools down or tomorrow depeding on if I can sham out of work early or not. Thanks again

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Joe,

Congrats!

Good pics and tips as well!

Only one suggestion I can offer;

Shut off all electrical accessories or disconnect them (radio, CB's, lighting, etc.).

BroncoJoe19

Reaction score
Joe,Congrats!

Good pics and tips as well!

Only one suggestion I can offer;

Shut off all electrical accessories or disconnect them (radio, CB's, lighting, etc.).
Miesk5,

Thanks for taking the time and reviewing.

I edited post number 5 to reflect your comment.

Thanks again,

joe

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
B-Cack

B-Cack

Reaction score
Yoda Joe,

Just to update you on my Bronco... I haven't had time to change out the TPS yet, unfortunately I was stuck at work all week. I did however manage to get some carb cleaner and a new gasket. Thanks again, B-Cack

OP
OP
B-Cack

B-Cack

Reaction score
Joe,

I finally had the time to take off the Throttle body and give it a good cleaning. BOY were you right, that thing was pretty fouled up, I took my time and gently cleaned it out. Put the new Tps sensor on and took it for a test drive. I was amazed at how smooth she drove and it seemed like there was an increase in power as well. Took the boat to the lake today and had a nice time. Thanks B-Cack

Outkast

Reaction score
I pulled the codes using your method with the wire and the KOEO im pretty sure I go the pass code, but when i try to do the KOER I get the four flashes the push and release the brake turn the wheel push the OD switch on and of press the gas once and then nothing.... what am I doing wrong?

BroncoJoe19

Reaction score
I pulled the codes using your method with the wire and the KOEO im pretty sure I go the pass code, but when i try to do the KOER I get the four flashes the push and release the brake turn the wheel push the OD switch on and of press the gas once and then nothing.... what am I doing wrong?
Nick (Outcast),

It seems that the '92 doesn't require one to do the power steering test, ( I guess it should not be done)

Also I was not clear, (in fact did not mention) that prior to doing the throttle test, one should wait for the signal to do so. The signal is a single quick flash. Aparrantly some trucks do not require it, and it should not be performed without being prompted to do so.

Please try it again, and let me know how you make out.

Later I'll edit both this post, and the one with the instructions for the KOER test.

Thanks for helping me make this better for everyone.

joe

Mike G

Reaction score
I just picked up a Innova code reader for 12 bucks new in box. It works great with the digital readout and all the different test you can perform like cylinder balance test. $24 on Amazon and in my mind a great deal. I confuse very easily and this thing made it a dream to pull codes.

http://www.amazon.com/Equus-3145-Ford-Digi...r/dp/B000EW0KHW

wes393

Reaction score
So i definetely had luck getting the KOEO code, but the KOER code is a littlle tricky because i dont have an overdrive switch, my Bronco has a manual transmission. Otherwise i got the following codes: 11 11 1 2 11. I have no clue what those mean maybe you could help.

BroncoJoe19

Reaction score
The 11 s are PASS.. that's good.

the 12 is either operator error, or Cannot control RPM during ER Self-Test high RPM check.

What are your symptoms?

wes393

Reaction score
well im pretty sure it was a 1 and a 2, i could be mistaken. At the time the truck started rough, but since i replaced the starter and solenoid its been much better. Havent read the codes since but its a good trick to know! thanks anyways.

bobstrat

Reaction score
I have read that one may also use a digital voltmeter. I have not tried using a digital one, but I am a little concerned that the one that I have is slow to present its reading and may not do it fast enough for the rate of speed of the flashes.
i have had success with a digital meter.

snocone

Reaction score
Hi, i just wanted to say THANK YOU for the awesome post...i solved my f150's rough running problem by following your instructions and by using the link to the code 63 TPS fix.....i had bought a $600 1990 f150 a month ago thinking it had some dead valves or something, but turns out it was an easy fix...thanks again......

northwest illinois

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
HEY!

That is great! TY for taking time to register & log-in here to let Joe know!

That helps in this era of folks asking detailed Qs and getting replies that took time for research and entry only to see that the questioner never comes back to da zone to see the info.

Last edited:

BroncoJoe19

Reaction score
snocone,

You are welcome, I am glad that it helped.

Miesk5,

Once again, thanks for all you do!

89purple horse

Reaction score
Nick (Outcast),

It seems that the '92 doesn't require one to do the power steering test, ( I guess it should not be done)

Also I was not clear, (in fact did not mention) that prior to doing the throttle test, one should wait for the signal to do so. The signal is a single quick flash. Aparrantly some trucks do not require it, and it should not be performed without being prompted to do so.

Please try it again, and let me know how you make out.

Later I'll edit both this post, and the one with the instructions for the KOER test.

Thanks for helping me make this better for everyone.

joe
hey bronco joe i am a little confused on the koer test as well. i dont have a aod swith so i am assuming i skip that step?? the next thing i am confised on is do i wait for the 4 flashs then a single flash to snap the throttle or just the single flash on a 89 351

2percent

Reaction score
Are all 1995 set up this way? I thought 95 was the year they started converting to odbII? Just curious cause I thought my 95 is odbII, but ill double check.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
msgsnprtom