clicking noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SC831

Reaction score
ive been 4 wheelin a lil bit and yesterday i heard this clicking noise but it kinda sounded like something rollin around in a coffee tin and now wen i drive it clicks all the time the faster i go the faster it clicks it used to do this before but just on occasion n e thoughts on what it could b??it sounds like its coming from the tranny but it drives fine and when i stop it stops.when i get up to speed it kinda stops but wen im in gear just rolling not on the throttle it makes noise?????

AdamDude04

Reaction score
Sounds like a U-joint. My pickup did the same thing. It was annoying.

Crawl under the truck, and see if there is ANY play in either drive-shaft. You should have no movment at all. If there is any at all, wiggle it on both ends of the drive shaft, to see what side the u-joint is loose on. They will need to be replaced ASAP.

OP
OP
S

SC831

Reaction score
Sounds like a U-joint. My pickup did the same thing. It was annoying.
Crawl under the truck, and see if there is ANY play in either drive-shaft. You should have no movment at all. If there is any at all, wiggle it on both ends of the drive shaft, to see what side the u-joint is loose on. They will need to be replaced ASAP.
i will check it out thanks for the advice

BroncoJoe19

Reaction score
You really need to get on your back and take a look under there. You may have picked up a coat hanger and got it wrapped around the drive shaft or something. Hopefully it will be something as obvious (and as easy to fix) as that!

U-joints will usually squeek before they start clicking, and by time they are clicking, you'll have a significant vibration.

Regardless of the injury, I am glad that you had the opportunity to get out and play with your truck!

OP
OP
S

SC831

Reaction score
You really need to get on your back and take a look under there. You may have picked up a coat hanger and got it wrapped around the drive shaft or something. Hopefully it will be something as obvious (and as easy to fix) as that!
U-joints will usually squeek before they start clicking, and by time they are clicking, you'll have a significant vibration.

Regardless of the injury, I am glad that you had the opportunity to get out and play with your truck!
thanks for your guys help it was a u joint

AdamDude04

Reaction score
It's always nice when people come back to tell us what the problem is/was and if they fixed/had a solution for the problem!

Glad you found the cause - If it's the front drive shaft you can drive around with it removed if you need to drive your vehicle. Unfortantly if it's the rear, you'll have to replace it ASAP as it'll go anytime, especially at faster speeds.

OP
OP
S

SC831

Reaction score
It's always nice when people come back to tell us what the problem is/was and if they fixed/had a solution for the problem!
Glad you found the cause - If it's the front drive shaft you can drive around with it removed if you need to drive your vehicle. Unfortantly if it's the rear, you'll have to replace it ASAP as it'll go anytime, especially at faster speeds.
i was researching a lil bit n i was wondering could it be becuase

i jus put a 2.5" blocklift in and the u bolts look kinda like their angled towards the front of the car

their not perfectly straight up n down could this put pressure on the u joint and cause it to strain?

because i didnt really have this problem before i put the blocks in.

AdamDude04

Reaction score
i was researching a lil bit n i was wondering could it be becuasei jus put a 2.5" blocklift in and the u bolts look kinda like their angled towards the front of the car

their not perfectly straight up n down could this put pressure on the u joint and cause it to strain?

because i didnt really have this problem before i put the blocks in.
Usually yes.

Tho I'm no lift expert <_<

BroncoJoe19

Reaction score
I imagine that the U joints were already a little worn, and were near due for replacement when you did the lift.

Will it add additional wear to the joints? Yes, there will be more movement and they will wear out sooner, but not so soon that they'll be a bother. Just make sure that you grease them with each oil change.

OP
OP
S

SC831

Reaction score
I imagine that the U joints were already a little worn, and were near due for replacement when you did the lift.
Will it add additional wear to the joints? Yes, there will be more movement and they will wear out sooner, but not so soon that they'll be a bother. Just make sure that you grease them with each oil change.
for sure thanks again for all your help

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lana Kane