Change my Brakes...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Broncobill78

Reaction score
Off the top of my head Stainless Steel Brakes comes to mind because I know they do a lot of this sort of thing, but it's been awhile since I've sourced anything thru them and they're at the upper end of the Dollar scale. Jeffs has a kit for $300 but it doesn't include calipers (so that you can choose your own depending on whether or not you want the whole parking prake deal-io or not) OR brake lines (because some guys like to mix-n-match and others want the braided stainless sets. It's a Choose what you want sorta thing). Take a look at it if you're interested: http://broncograveyard.com/bronco/i-32375_...brake_conv_.htm

Having said all that. I've DONE this conversion on a few of my rigs & helped friends to do theirs and to be perfectly honest I consider to be of dubious worth. The fronts do 70% of your braking so you're going to find yourself spending very close to $1K to make a marginal improvement on the 30% that the rears handle. Truth be told you're not going to feel a whole lot of difference day-in & day-out. There is the whole *WOW* factor and you WILL have those shiney disks & painted calipers showing thru behind your rear rims (if you have rims that will allow them to be seen, if not most guys go out and drop the bux on a whole NEW set of rims so everyone can SEE their drilled & slotted rear rotors and bright red calipers, my bad, sorry to digress)

It all comes down to personal choices. it IS your rig and it's YOURS to do with as you wish, but at the end of the day the fact is that you really *won't* see much of an improvement in braking. If you like the whole deal & you really want to have rear disks then I'm surely in touch with that whole thing & can understand it. All I'm saying is don't have any delusions about what a rear-disk conversion will do for the bottom-line performance of the truck. Fact is that it's mainly an upgrade to be done when you have those killer sawblades and want folks to see rotors behind them or you've simply run out of other $hit to upgrade :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> . I've been there, done it and know, just understand up front that it AIN'T gonna add no 30ft to your stopping distance. I haven't done one a truck newer than mid-80's but if you wind up ditching the rear anti-lock for the disks then you'll be giving up stopping power and distance for looks & appearance. I'm not familiar enuf with the 8.8 setup yet so I'm not sure where they installed the encoder rings and whether or not the disk conversions keep them or not, but it's worth considering.

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23