No Brake Lights, No Hazards, 1989 Bronco II

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AZBroncoII

Reaction score
New owner of a 1989 Bronco II, 2WD, Manual Trans. My brake lights and hazard lights are not working. Headlights, tailights, turn signals and back up lights are working. So far I have tried the following:

-Checked the shared fuse for these lights. They look good, not blown but replaced them anyway
-Used a light on old and new fuses and fuse receiver...no power
-Checked 1157 dual filament bulbs and replaced them anyway

Have a brake switch on order since that was my first thought. Will check brake switch connections later today.

Plan to replace Hazard Flasher later today, just in case as well.

If it might be relevant, previous owner recently replaced ignition switch?

I do have wiring diagrams in my old Haynes manual

Any suggestions would be helpful. New to group so photo of my rig is here. Thank You,

Attachments

• bronco3.jpg
    bronco3.jpg
    301.4 KB · Views: 4

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
Changing the flasher is an easy check.

ignition switch should not affect them.

The rear brake lights run through the multi function switch or turn signal switch. It could be bad even though everything else works.

But I would start at the brake light switch on the pedal. Make sure you have power on both sides with the pedal pressed.
If you do, then test it through the multi function switch.

Motech

Reaction score
1670673472988.png
1670673549127.png

OK, I agree with @Tiha on the combination switch because all rear lighting circuits go through it, and I've replaced dozens for your exact problem.

So I went and grabbed the diagram for you, pasted them up, then reread your post and saw this:

Why replace all those parts when you have found your base problem?

Here is the power distribution diagram for the section of fuse box with no power:

1670674501943.png

You'll see yellow/black circuit 460 at top right feeds battery power to fuses 14, 17 and 1. They power every item not functioning, and if you truly lost power there, you got no horn or cigar lighter power either.

Here is the diagram showing the source of power circuit 460. It's a green, 40 Amp **** Fuse #4 in in your underhood Power Distribution Box.

1670674896338.png

There it is on your RH fender next to the starter solenoid relay.

1670675039069.png

It takes a good short circuit to blow that big fuse, so be careful.

EDIT:
Really mods? You censured the word M A X I? as in:

1670675688314.png

FFS​

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

AZBroncoII

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies and great wiring diagrams. Motech is correct. I checked the horn and cig lighter and they were not working either. Used his diagram and traced back to larger Amp fuse box under hood. So going back to that 40 Amp fuse, previous owner had it slotted in the Electronic Shift slot. My truck is 2WD so that slot should be empty. Pulled it and put it in the correct slot....fixed.

Now on to this week's project....a 1/2 hole in the upper part of gas tank. Leaks if I put too much fuel in.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies and great wiring diagrams. Motech is correct. I checked the horn and cig lighter and they were not working either. Used his diagram and traced back to larger Amp fuse box under hood. So going back to that 40 Amp fuse, previous owner had it slotted in the Electronic Shift slot. My truck is 2WD so that slot should be empty. Pulled it and put it in the correct slot....fixed.

Now on to this week's project....a 1/2 hole in the upper part of gas tank. Leaks if I put too much fuel in.
Replace tank. If you patch it. Later on it could come out and cause fumes to enter the cab and put you to sleep--GAS YOU. Don,t need that.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Yep. New tank going in. Thanks
On the light issue. Even though they are NEW BULBS. Look at the tips. Are they yellow--bronze(made in U.S.A) or silver(made in CHINA) iF THEY ARE SILVER--THEY ARE JUNK. Some times the filliment is jared loose straight from the store and the tips do not fit good. You better off going to a junk vehicle and getting the bulbs--even your parts. This stuff from CHINA IS JUNK.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
New owner of a 1989 Bronco II, 2WD, Manual Trans. My brake lights and hazard lights are not working. Headlights, tailights, turn signals and back up lights are working. So far I have tried the following:

-Checked the shared fuse for these lights. They look good, not blown but replaced them anyway
-Checked 1157 dual filament bulbs and replaced them anyway

Have a brake switch on order since that was my first thought. Will check brake switch connections later today.

Plan to replace Hazard Flasher later today, just in case as well.

If it might be relevant, previous owner recently replaced ignition switch?

I do have wiring diagrams in my old Haynes manual

Any suggestions would be helpful. New to group so photo of my rig is here. Thank You,
On your bulbs. If they are silver on the part you plug in.China junk.Replace with Yellow brass tip---made in America and they pit alot better. You might also want to look at the filiments in them. Sometimes they are off.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke