catalytic converters?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

am3gross

Reaction score
i have a major exhaust leak. the muffler shop told me that there is 2 cats on this bronco and that the 2nd one was bad. he wants 300 bucks to replace. he had mentioned that they are going to a 1 cat system which would cost around 800 bucks for the kit and install. he said they are phasing out the 2 cat systems and going to make every one go with the new system once the other cats are all gone. is there any truth to this and what should i have done? should i go with the new system or get the one cat and hopefully by the time i need the other one replaced the prices will be cheaper? thanks in advance for the help!

mike

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo!

What year and engine do you have?

Some info for you;

1st, Find another shop

Swap, 2 to 1 Advice Source: by Froggmann (Ken P) at froggmann.com

"I have two cats on my Bronco, can I replace them with one?

A: Technically, no. Realisticly, yes.

Explanation: It is illegal to replace or modify emmisions control equipment with other-than-stock equipment. But the pre-cats are only there to reduce emmissions until the main cat gets warmed up. So yes, you can go to one cat and you might even burn cleaner with a aftermarket high-flow cat. But you will run the risk of not passing visual inspection..."

It may not be a prob now, but since you may be in another state someday with the Bronco.... esp NJ!

Ck for prices elsewhere, such as:

all-catalytic-converters.com - Bronco/Ford truck catalytic converters; diagrams & dimensions

an example;

Magnaflow Catalytic Converter: 1987 - 1993 Ford Bronco

Notes: CATALYTIC CONVERTER, 93500 SERIES, UNIVERSAL FIT -- Catalytic Converter, Front And Rear, Non-OBD II UNIVERSAL Single Air Tube , May Require Cutting And/Or Welding

Chassis-Engine

:Bronco 4.9L, 6 Cylinder, Gas, MFI, VIN "Y"

:Bronco 5.0L, V8, Gas, MFI, VIN "N"

:Bronco 5.8L, V8 Windsor, Gas, MFI, VIN "H"

Your Price: $115.29

---------------

Magnaflow Catalytic Converter: 1987 - 1993 Ford Bronco

Notes: CATALYTIC CONVERTER, 94000 SERIES, UNIVERSAL FIT -- Catalytic Converter, Front Or Rear, OBD II Compliant UNIVERSAL Standard Oval, 2.5" In Or Out, 4" Tall, 6.5" Wide, 12" Body Or 16" Overall Length, May Require Cutting And/Or Welding

Chassis-Engine

:Bronco 4.9L, 6 Cylinder, Gas, MFI, VIN "Y"

:Bronco 5.0L, V8, Gas, MFI, VIN "N"

:Bronco 5.8L, V8 Windsor, Gas, MFI, VIN "H"

Your Price $78.40

------------

read this by all-catalytic-converters.com

How do I know if my catalytic converter is defective?

Also, do you have a Check Engine Light ON?

let us know!

OP
OP
A

am3gross

Reaction score
no the check engine light is not on, the reason it needs replaced is because there is a big hole in it. the fumes come right in the cab and is enough to choke someone out!. so i can order one of these cats and have the muffler shop put it on? it would be way cheaper then the 300 bucks they quoted me i am sure.

the bronco is a 91 with a 302 fuel injected motor.

BroncoJoe19

Reaction score
no the check engine light is not on, the reason it needs replaced is because there is a big hole in it. the fumes come right in the cab and is enough to choke someone out!. so i can order one of these cats and have the muffler shop put it on? it would be way cheaper then the 300 bucks they quoted me i am sure.
the bronco is a 91 with a 302 fuel injected motor.
Hi Mike,

To edit your signature file, goto

MyControls>>> Personal Profile >>> Edit Signature

Info such as year engine trans and any modifications such as tires, axels, or lifts, will help us to help you.

joe

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
MIKE,

Check those sites out; print out details of the converter, price, stock number... look at S&H costs from company to your home....

Then get PB Blaster from NAPA, WalmArt, etc...spray converter bolts down well for about 3 days.. let it soak; nuts/bolts should break free; use MAP gas torch/or propane if needed...also get new bolts and nuts.

or get quotes from other shops to install your new converter. call or e mail [email protected] and ask for other parts needed for the converter you choose; such as flanges, fasteners, etc. the flanges may need to be welded or better yet, clamped onto the exhaust pipe /y...

here is a tsb for later years that shows typical cc heat shield... etc.. but for a single cat.. wait, this one was updated to incl earlier years!

and Chilton's info & diagrams by autozone

Last edited by a moderator:

boss

Reaction score
i have a major exhaust leak. the muffler shop told me that there is 2 cats on this bronco and that the 2nd one was bad. he wants 300 bucks to replace. he had mentioned that they are going to a 1 cat system which would cost around 800 bucks for the kit and install. he said they are phasing out the 2 cat systems and going to make every one go with the new system once the other cats are all gone. is there any truth to this and what should i have done? should i go with the new system or get the one cat and hopefully by the time i need the other one replaced the prices will be cheaper? thanks in advance for the help!

mike

Sounds like BS to me - go to another shop or do what I did..... http://www.4x4preservation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=201

OP
OP
A

am3gross

Reaction score
ok so i finally figured out which cat i will need. not that hard to figure out. i am getting ready to place the order and get it here so i can get it put on. now with that being said i was wandering how hard it is to replace the exhaust system. now this is what i was thinking... my budget is around 400 bucks. now i can order the cat and have it put on (which is going to cost me between 75 and 130 bucks to have put on) or i can buy the cat and a new flowmaster muffler and put it on myself. i guess my question is, is there a way to do an exhaust with minimal welding. i have seen the clamps that people use but did not know if they worked and how long they last. i live in a state that has inspections so it will have to look some what professional.

boss

Reaction score
ok so i finally figured out which cat i will need. not that hard to figure out. i am getting ready to place the order and get it here so i can get it put on. now with that being said i was wandering how hard it is to replace the exhaust system. now this is what i was thinking... my budget is around 400 bucks. now i can order the cat and have it put on (which is going to cost me between 75 and 130 bucks to have put on) or i can buy the cat and a new flowmaster muffler and put it on myself. i guess my question is, is there a way to do an exhaust with minimal welding. i have seen the clamps that people use but did not know if they worked and how long they last. i live in a state that has inspections so it will have to look some what professional.

Did you read my thread? No welding involved.

mbtech2003

Reaction score
first thing i did was cut off that second cat. no check eng light and it passes mass strict emissons laws with out any problems. so i wouldnt worry about it just as long as the first primary cat is ok. it will free up the exhaust a little so it will flow better anyway. might as will add a duel exhaust system while at it.

boss

Reaction score
first thing i did was cut off that second cat. no check eng light and it passes mass strict emissons laws with out any problems. so i wouldnt worry about it just as long as the first primary cat is ok. it will free up the exhaust a little so it will flow better anyway. might as will add a duel exhaust system while at it.

Why waste the money on dual exhaust?

mbtech2003

Reaction score
well if u dont have the extra coin then single is just fine. i just love having my duel exhaust sounds great and looks awsome on cold mornings when u accel down the road and have two streams of exhaust coming out. but with the money u save on not replacing that pointless second cat u can get the duel. some where i have the dyno printout of the emissions from my truck without the second cat, and its less than half of the limit that it requires to pass. for co2, nox, and hydrocarbns. true i have other mods so i dont know how that will effect your results.

Leadsled

Reaction score
well if u dont have the extra coin then single is just fine. i just love having my duel exhaust sounds great and looks awsome on cold mornings when u accel down the road and have two streams of exhaust coming out. but with the money u save on not replacing that pointless second cat u can get the duel. some where i have the dyno printout of the emissions from my truck without the second cat, and its less than half of the limit that it requires to pass. for co2, nox, and hydrocarbns. true i have other mods so i dont know how that will effect your results.
But if he was in Cali or NV it wouldnt even make it to the sniffer part of the test when they see that you are missing a cat. Im not sure where he is from but I would be very carefull. He could always hollow out that second cat and hope and pray it passes the visual and the sniffer. Boss did a very good job with his exhaust.

boss

Reaction score

So the illusion of more power. Really because your coming off a single and going to a one in and 2 out muffler you would get the same sound with a single 3" exhaust and have less to drag off road. And unless the inlet on your muffler is 3" you did little to help the flow. Now for duals to work they need to be feed singly and of equal length - but a 6000lb Bronco wouldn't gain much from this and would loss the power were it needs it - good on mustangs, bad on broncos.

I think our trucks have a bad enough rap to be cutting off cats, most states have a visual inspection as well - if its missing you fail regardless.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23