can you swap efi onto a 351 w

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

riggermortis

Reaction score
hi, i was wondering if you were able to swap fuel injection onto a 351 w / 5.8L as easy as doing it on a 302 / 5.0L. do you have to change the heads or just the intake. i have a 1981 f250 with a fresh 351 w and want to put efi on it. i did the conversion on my 67 bronco with a 302 and it wasn't that difficult, from what it looks like, the efi stuff would swap over but i dont know if the heads are the same. any help would be great, thanks!

OP
OP
riggermortis

riggermortis

Reaction score
so basicly just swap the intakes and all of the hardware to support the fuel injection. as long as all of the ports are the same then it should be good right. i know that you cant do it on a 460cid the EFI heads are a different port design, i just didnt know if they had changed the heads on the 351 w or not when they went to EFI.

BLADE262US

Reaction score
You will need the cam as well the speed density EFI system is pre programmed for the timing events . If you add the intake / all needed sensors / cam / ( may have to modify the block if its a roller cam that you find ) Fuel delivery system for EFI / computer you should be all set best way is to have a complete donor truck . :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

OP
OP
riggermortis

riggermortis

Reaction score
why the cam? they didnt change the firing order of the 351w, right ?

Last edited by a moderator:

BLADE262US

Reaction score
Nope they didnt change the firing order but the speed density EFI is pre programmed to know that a certain valve is open a certain distance at a certain degree of cranckshaft rotation . If you go outside of this ( by using a different cam ) the the motor may run but not to its potential thats why the cam must stay within the specs of what the EEC was prigrammed too . :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Crude dude

Reaction score
You can use all of the 302 computer and sensors but you "should" use a better intake manifold. The 351 W intake is terrible. Like Blade mentioned, the speed density stuff is not that great. You should go with mass-air. Check out fordfuelinjection.com They have a lot of good info!!

OP
OP
riggermortis

riggermortis

Reaction score
yes, i have already successfully completed one efi swap on my 67 bronco 302. it has been running great for about 5 years now. i did however use the speed density stuff though because it was alot cheaper and i did the swap on a limited budget, but it does run alot better than a carb. the reason i am asking about the 351 is because i have a 81 f250 for my son to drive with the 351 in it that i would like to swap also. im not looking for hot rod performance, just efi reliability. the 351 probably only has 5000 miles since rebuild, and was hopeing to just be able to swap the intake and add the efi components.

Last edited by a moderator:

BLADE262US

Reaction score
Im not going to turn this into a great debate facts are you can put a speed density EFI from a 302 on a 351W so long as the firing order is the same . ANother fact it will not run to potential because the computer is preprogrammed for timing events and fuel curves for a 302 displacement the 351 W moves more air the computer doesnt know this so there will undoubtably be a lean condition and if theres not enough fuel to support the air volume it will have the same effect of putting a tiny 2 barrel on a big V8 it may idle it may run but put it to the floor for awhile its goona get thirsty . Now if your useing a mass air computer from a 5.0 it will probably support a 351W because its measureing the ammount of air intake and adjusting the fuel needs from there kinda think of it as going from a recording to a live operator . The preprogrammed timing events in a speed density EEC is what limits you on the cams you can run in it . A cam that has a lift and duration a long ways from stock ( what is programmed in the EEC ) will not run good because the recording has no idea who its talking too its just keeps telling the same thing . :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23