CA Compliant Turn Key Engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo 89TwoToneBrownBronco,
Welcome to our Bronco site!

Bureau of Automotive Repair (.gov)
https://www.bar.ca.gov › consumer
Engine Changes - California Bureau of Automotive Repair - CA.gov @ https://www.bar.ca.gov/consumer/smo...h engine changes,a regular Smog Check station.
Excerpts:

"What is the difference between an engine change and an engine replacement?​

An "engine change" is the installation of an engine that is different from the one which was originally installed in the vehicle and does not qualify as a "replacement engine."

Engine replacements include:

• A new, rebuilt, remanufactured, or used engine of the same make, number of cylinders, and engine family (test group) as the original engine with the original emission controls reinstalled;
  • An engine which matches a configuration offered by the manufacturer for that year, make and model of vehicle, and the appropriate emission controls for the installed engine, and chassis components are present and connected."

Thinking you have a 1989 Bronco, see these 1989 Ford Truck Service Manuals - Google Drive
Click "Drive" in pop-up
Includes:
1989 Ford Bronco Electrical & Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual
1989 Bronco & Ford Truck Emissions Manual
1989 Ford Car/Truck Pre-Delivery Manual
1989 Light Duty Truck Volume A: Body/Chassis/Electrical Volume 1 of 2
1989 Light Duty Truck Volume A: Body/Chassis/Electrical Volume 2 of 2
1989 Light Duty Truck Volume B: Engine

Haynes Red Manual for 80-95 Bronco & F Series @ Hanes guide 80-96 bko f series.pdf found by member BroncMom!

See my mostly recovered site by member schwim @ Ford Bronco And F-150 Links - FORD BRONCO It contains boo-koo component repairs, installation & parts sources.

1989 Ford Bronco Dealer Brochure

1989 Bronco Lubricant Specifications by Ford via Gary

Motech

Reaction score
Is there a California Compliant Turn Key Engine I can buy?

Hey dude, welcome to the board!

You're from Atascadero? I love that area! I and some 40-50 friends get out and ride all the best roads along the central coast and inland every tax deadline weekend in April. Our "Spring Fling", we hit everything from Monterey to Ventura, from the coast as far inland as Taft (~~shudder~~). We always hit up your town on Day 1, then again on Day 3 just to ride Hwy 229. As you no-dount are aware, it is a motorcyclists wet dream of asphalt perfection! We fondly coined the term "Rossi's Driveway" after Vsalentino Rossi, and I hear after 20-some years, the nickname is spreading beyond our circles. I'm in Santa Cruz BTW.

BAR is pretty loose on engines. There is no such thing as "Turnkey CA Compliant" engines. They are all the same, just more emissions crap and restrictions on CA models.

What @miesk5 refers above, many engines you'd think would be a prohibited "change" are viewed as a "replacement by BAR as long as the emissions control devices for that particular engine are present.

Example: You want to put a big-block in your Bronco, then have at it. Even though a 460 was never an 89 Bronco option, it is an 89 F-Series option, so it's allowed. But it must have all the same emissions devices as the stock F250 460 had, which is probably identical to the Windsor controls anyway.

But an FE engine was extinct in 89, having been euthanized in 76, so you can't be stuffing a 428 SCJ in there.

Now if you do mod up your Bronco with a 460, most smog techs will fret and become irate, and send you to the referee to certify it. And they will. They'll place an emissions decal on your door jamb qualifying what all is required, including timing specs and catalyst count and send you back ou to the privateer. If your setup is not compliant, he will fail you, and you'll be responsible to make it so.

Now say you want to stuff a 427 stroker Windsor crate engine in there. Go right ahead! As long as all your EFI and other parts are CARB approved, we (smog techs) don't know the displacement, but we know it's a Windsor, and we'll inspect it per your factory emissions decal.

And these standards aren't mine. I confirmed this with a BAR enforcement agent I became good pals with 20-some years back. I confessed to a roller cam 383 stroker mill in my old 77 square body and he said, "We don't give a fart. We aren't going to make you prove out your bore & stroke. Just make sure your emissions devices for that 77 350 are all there."

So again, short answer: no such thing as a turn-key CA emissions engine.

But there are plenty sold as "off-road only, not legal for sale or install in registered CA vehicles". Long as you tell them it's for off-road only, they'll sell it to you. Just don't tell your smog guy.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23