Bronco trouble

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

78BroncHair

Reaction score
Alright so My 78 bronco had a massive intake leak with my old 2 barrel manifold on it and I bought new gaskets. My brother had an edelbrock 4 barrel manifold and an unknown carb on it that he gave to me and I cleaned it up and threw it on. So:

Can anybody give me an idea of what carb i have? It has no markings on it but a small W on the drivers side

The manifold came off of a 400 and the ports are smaller than the ones on my 351 manifold. Will I have any problems?

I can not for the life of me figure out this vacuum stuff. Anyone know where I can get a diagram for a disejucated guy? (I cant understand most wiring diagrams or vacuum diagrams)

Next Im trying to get my drivers side rear axle seal to quit leaking. Is it a press in type or can I replace it easily at home?

Next my pinion yoke is twisted. Will any 9 inch pinion yoke fit? Or do they differ from axle to axle?

Next I may have a problem with my rear lift. Its a Rough Country 4 inch lift and I think my wedges they sent me are too big. Any idea what degree wedges I need? I think I have like a 6 or 7 degree in there right now

Next is my rear window. The switch on the dash suddenly stopped working and now the key switch in the tailgate is having a hard time with lifting the window.

Next My passenger side headlight is crooked. I dont really know whats wrong with it and I got the square headlights. Short of putting round headlights in does anybody have any ideas?

Next my radiator is leaking from about 5 spots on the top. Any help? I thought about a hard boiled egg but that doesnt seem like a long term fix. I havent had good luck with radiator stop leak.

Now to the odds and ends stuff: Im working on getting all the factory woodgrain in the interior. Does anybody know if theres a reproduction woodgrain door insert? (the insert that goes around the window crank and above the door cup)

My bronco didnt come with a rollbar and Im wondering how hard it would be to swap in a rollbar from a 78/79 bronco? I think it would be just a straight bolt in deal but I dont wanna spend 200 and not be able to bolt it into mine.

I also want to run headers on my bronco (next performance upgrade: Headers and true dual exhaust with flowmaster super 44s.) And I dont want my headers to hang outside of my frame. Id like full length headers that fit inside the frame. Any ideas?

Next Is there anybody out there with rear disc brakes on their bronco? Im pondering doing the swap if theres ANY way to do it because Ive done my drum brakes once on that damn truck and I dont want to do them again! haha

And finally does anybody reproduce the back interior side panels?

Im looking to make my bronco look completely stock (other than lift, tires and rims) in the interior and exterior but have an extra little kick.

By the way I dragged a chevy backwards down a trail in april cuz he got stuck. and I was in 2 wheel drive. and it was muddy. and he was ******. I told him I had four letters : F O R D! Amen. haha

OP
OP

78BroncHair

Reaction score
Also my dome light doesnt work anymore. I was told its the little spring mechanism pushrod switchy thingy (very technical terms I know) on the front of the doorjamb but after a wheeling excursion and my buddys baseball cap punching a hole in my dome light cover I cant see a bulb in there. But I cant get the light off and Im afraid of breaking it!

And does anybody know of a cowl induction hood for one of these beautiful trucks? I think Ive seen one before but I cant find one online!

OP
OP

78BroncHair

Reaction score
And lastly does anybody know how to do timing on a 351? Im used to Small block chevys (yeah, i know) and trying to use a timing light from the drivers side top would be useless. My power steering pump and water pump and pullies are in the way of the harmonic balancer. I CANT SEE!

Foul Al

Reaction score
And lastly does anybody know how to do timing on a 351? Im used to Small block chevys (yeah, i know) and trying to use a timing light from the drivers side top would be useless. My power steering pump and water pump and pullies are in the way of the harmonic balancer. I CANT SEE!
hey hair, welcome to the zone. send me a list of what your looking for to ''pretty-up'' your rig. i have assloads of stuff!, both interior and exterior as well as mechanical parts. (like the rear window motor) your side panels for the rear interior i have in black with the notch for the interior spare tire rack as well as the pass. side wood grain inner door trim. shoot me a list and we'll figure it out. thanks.

79fordblake

Reaction score
Edelbrock manifold with smaller runners than factory intake? Must be the Edelbrock S.P.2.P. Good intake for low end power, craps out at about 4,000-4,500rpm maybe good for 5,000rpm with aftermarket cam and timing set.

OP
OP

78BroncHair

Reaction score
Yeah, The truck runs solid now. Had to get my dad to help me with the timing. (hes got about 30 years experience over me) and we got it dialed in. But I just found out my rear axle housing is toast. and I have to get another one and re build it. BUT does anybody have any suggestions as to what torque converter I should be running? I didnt expect my truck to be a race truck, but Its not sackin up and goin.

cantbecaught4

Reaction score
The back window in my 78 Bronco recently quit working. I took the back access cover off on the inside of the tailgate and found a connector in there to have a short. I cut out the old switch and rewired it up and it started working like new. That may be your problem mine is now working faster than it was.

OP
OP

78BroncHair

Reaction score
Well I had to re build my rear end this last weekend. The axle tubes were shot, luckily I found a good rear end housing. I got rid of the wedges and cut the spring mounts off, and I found that if anybody is wondering, with the rear end out and the axle housing on stands, with a 4 inch lift, your spring perches can be welded on at about 22 degrees and you can get rid of the wedges. But now i have a new third member, axles and a good axle housing in my truck. Next I replaced both power steering hoses, and got the truck running perfectly. I have to get new rear springs in there, but Im looking at headers. Does anybody know of a company who makes headers that go inside the frame rails? I could fab my own but Im not looking foreward to that. And after all that is finished, Im re building a 400M for it. Im looking for about 350-400 horse. Ill put pics up when I figure out how to.

OP
OP

78BroncHair

Reaction score
hey hair, welcome to the zone. send me a list of what your looking for to ''pretty-up'' your rig. i have assloads of stuff!, both interior and exterior as well as mechanical parts. (like the rear window motor) your side panels for the rear interior i have in black with the notch for the interior spare tire rack as well as the pass. side wood grain inner door trim. shoot me a list and we'll figure it out. thanks.
I found my door trim on Ebay. But my rear window motor is cranking, but the window isnt going up. I think the gears got stripped. All I think I need is rear springs (4 inch) and the wood grain steering wheel insert. I thought about the interior spare tire mount and I dont think a matching 35 would fit in there on a stock mount. so im going to keep my outside mounts. But Im thinking for my upholstry and Im trying to figure out what color (other than black or white) to run. Im thinking grey. And also I need a factory roll bar. I dont plan on this thing going over, but Id like to not **** passengers in case of that.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnK