Body lift question 95 xlt

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

duckdogwhiskey

duckdogwhiskey
Reaction score
Hey guys. I have a stock lift 95 xlt running 33x12.5's. I have been going back and forth on lift options and have decided for the time being to go with a simple 3" body lift from JBG. My main reason for doing this rather than going with a suspension lift for now is that I only replaced my tires from the original 31's like a year and a half ago and they have a lot of wear left. Tires alone were close to 1k. I am thinking that the 3" body lift will elimenate the tire rub that I experience on tight turns, and still look fine running the 33's. I eventually would like to do the 6" suspension lift but the cost of new 35's plus a lift is just too much right now. Doing the body lift seems pretty simple but my question is about the bumper. The guy that works on the truck when things become a little more than I can deal with said I would probably need to lift the bumper as well. Can anyone comment on this, and any other pointers that may be helpful when I start this project? Thanks in advance!

Krafty

Reaction score
your tires are only rubbing on one or both of these two things..

1 radius arms,

or 2 front bumper

a body lift will fix neither of those two problems considering what the tires are rubbing on are fixed to the frame and not the body.

don't waste your money.

if you can't live with the radius arm rub find extended radius arms with as much inward angle as you can find, or adjust the steering locks to stop the steering just before the rub,

if your rubbing on the bumper I hear spacing it out with washers works well, for the bumper you only need to go about 1/4 to 1/2 inch.

monch915

Reaction score
I have a 96 xl and I just recently put on some Goodyear duratracks 33x12.5 R15 on. The only problem I had was on the front bumper. So did as advised here and spaced it out. I went with the 1 inch steel spacer. Now I don't have any problem with rubbing while I turn. Now off roading is a different story. I used to have a 89 f-150 w/ 31x12.5's and it would rub on tight turns on the radius arms. This truck had stock wheels. My bronco has aftermarket wheels that seem to push the tire out. So I think this is why I don't have this problem on my bronco. Hopes this helps.

OP
OP
D

duckdogwhiskey

duckdogwhiskey
Reaction score
I went and looked and its definately the radius arms. Never a problem unless in a tight turn. I'll be adding that to the list of stuff I want to do. The bumper is already spaced. So if I do a body lift, how will that affect the bumper height? Body lift seems like a cheap and easy way to get 3" until I can afford to go all the way.

Krafty

Reaction score
the bumpers will stay where they are cause they are bolted to the frame, the question is what do you need the 3" of lift for now? that money would likely be better saved for when you are ready for the 6", body lifts can cause weak points when off roading or when involved in a roll over and are less likely to hold than the original body mounts in those situations.

but hey its your money.

if you want to be really cheap you can stack hockey pucks with the bolt holes drilled in them.

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
duck, check the parts list of the body lift kit you want to use for "bumper re-location brackets". Most kits will include one set for the rear bumper, but you're on your own for the front. An issue with the 92-96 Bronco frame is the design of the front horns, which have a crumple zone for crash protection. My advice would be to look thru Miesk5's Homepage of Bronco links for info on body lift installs and how others have addressed the problem. JSM84

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tsebalj