~95 xlt 5.8~ confusing damn Dash / spedom/ illumination demons.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zalkins

Reaction score
Hey fellas
my ...."like driving a lambo", OJ approved, but demon infested electrical in this 95 xlt 5.8.. dash illumination has took a huge dump. But specifically ONLY all backlight and main lights on speedo. Rpm. Fuel. Oil gauges. Trip digital everything is out. But the other part of dash is fine.
4x4 hi lo buttons light up. And headlights are fine. Radio. Glove etc. I've replaced all bulbs fuses. Even tried a whole new console my neighbor had from his f250. Still no illumination. Any help is appreciated.

Ok so Quick history of 3 recent demons:
● headlight switch housing short ended up taking out a fuse for them to function properly.
●Fuel pmp sender unit wire replacement. ●And fuel pump wiring harness replacement.
● main negative wire direct to - battery term. Replaced terminals and wire.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo zalkins,
See 13 - Instrumentation and Warning Systems below in 1995 Bronco/F Series Chassis, Service Manual - Google Drive
To switch between folder list & grid views, click the button to the right of the "DOWNLOAD ALL" button in the upper right corner of the window) by HawkDriver
The twelve Groups found in this manual are:
00 - Service Information
01 - Body
02 - Frame and Mounting (Body)
04 - Suspension
06 - Brake System
11 - Steering System
12 - Climate Control System
13 - Instrumentation and Warning Systems
14 - Battery and Charging System
15 - Audio Systems
17 - Lighting
18 - Electrical Distribution
Each Section covers a component or system. The second set of numbers on each page
indicates the section.
If the vehicle has more than one type of component, such as two types of engines or power
steering systems, alphabetical suffixes are used

Will try to look it up for you if I can get back hone sooner than later

Last edited:

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
You said you replaced main negative cable.

Did it look like the picture? Have a big wire going to the block and a small wire going to the body?

Otherwise next step is to actually use a test light and test for voltage on the back of the instrument cluster with the headlights on.

When you replaced the headlight switch did you do a harness as well? Usually they are melted, I kind of think it is okay since you said the rest of the lights work.

motorcraft_WC8980_1.jpg

OP
OP
zalkins

zalkins

Reaction score
I have the new headlight pull switch. I'm gonna try the diagnostics miesk posted. After a quick glance.It's sounding like a printed circuit replaced
I noticed on the old harness of the headlamp switch lost its grip and contacts for a few wires..

I ordered a new headlamp harness and switch and let you know how it goes.
I've had some diabolic cross shorting happen when my left ankle area firewall bolt. Get loose and make wipers go off. Dim lights. **** stereo. Etc

Thanks

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danno