Blcok Heater

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

B-Cack

Reaction score
Anyone have a block heater on their Bronco? I might be moving up to Colorado mountain region and I imagine it gets a lot colder there than it does here in lower Alabama..... Should I consider one?

OP
OP
B-Cack

B-Cack

Reaction score
I meant BLOCK heater of course, it is late and I can't type worth a damn

grande_guerre

grande mondiale
Reaction score
GET ONE. They are easy to install and work great, i had one on my 302 when i lived in Alaska, believe me, it saved lots of wear and tear. Knock out a freeze plug and press it in. You'll have to get some antifreeze too, due to the plug getting knocked out. You might want to consider a battery heater too( i dont know if gets that cold out there though).

G

I used to live out west, about 20 miles south of the Canadian border in Washington and in Idaho. The block heater is definatly the way to go. I can remember many times cars not wanting to start at all due to the cold or worse blocks and heads cracking. Remember COLD KILLS BATTERIES!!! At the very least a heat lamp under the hood if the car is outside(just make sure it's GFCI protected.

STLKIKN

Reaction score
Here in Calgary, block heaters are put in the vehicle during the PDI when they arrive at the dealership.

NO we don't need them every day, and we don't use dogsleds!!

They are easy to install, they work very well, I don't plug my trucks in until the temp is going to drop below -20 celcius (-4 farenheit)

Put your block heater on an outdoor timer, they only need to run about three- four hours to properly heat an engine block.

Bradt

Reaction score
Where in CO? I spent some time up in Winter Park.

I knew a lot of people who had them, and a lot who didn't. I never had a bit of trouble, nor did my friends without them. I did go ahead and get everything winterized well, and used heet in the gas tank fairly regularly. I really don't think it gets cold enough up there to need a heater as long as your antifreeze is kept up. Some people swear by them though.

Another thought if you have an automatic transmission is to get a remote starter put in. You can get some for $15-$30 dollars if you want to install yourself. It'll pay for itself that first cold morning that you don't have to go out and chip ice off your windshield.

brad

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
B-Cack

B-Cack

Reaction score
Yeah, I am looking at some remote starter kits... although I am not 100% sure I will be headed up that way. I would be going to Ft. Carson, not sure how cold it gets there. I am originally from NM, and I know from hunting up near the CO border that it gets pretty chilly... (about 10 below) on a fairly regular basis... Keeping the battery warm is another good idea.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23