Big Bronco Fix

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wyrwulf69

Reaction score
Hello everyone,i'm new to this forum and to the world of Big Broncos.I hope that you good folk can share some of your great wisdom and sage advice.I have a 1989 bronco xlt.I,m have a time trying to figure out why the gas needle in my ride doesn,t move and how best to fix it.Also i was wondering if i need any suspension mods in order to fit a set of 33 inch tires.(i'm currently using a set of 31's).thank you and i hope to here from you guys and gals real soon. :ph34r: /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Wliebhard

Reaction score
First, welcome to the forum, wyrwulf69!
clap.gif
/biggrin.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' /><' /> What you should do is get a repair manual, about 17 bucks, then get a digital or analog voltmeter 15-90 bucks. THEN take out the instrument cluster and test if the guage is getting power. If not, fix that first. A gas guage measures the resistance from the float to a ground (frame), and diplays it. The 12v switched power gives the needle the power to move. Next, find the wires for your gauge in the harness- there should be 2 (the power is a 'common' power for a few of the instruments. One wire is the signal, the other, a ground. Test the resistance. Autometer.com has the specs for Fors under the gas gauge section. Different years give different values. If that's not in the correct range, the sender's bad or you have a broken sinal or ground wire. Check all the wires out first. NOW if everything's good to go so far, It's time to drop the tank, the repair manual will help there. My sender was bad in my '85, but the Ford dealer was able order a new one for about 40 bucks. Put the sender in, the manual should be able to help there too. Just keep in mind, this is a GENERAL outline of what I had to do... Good luck and I hope that helps! :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Also, 33's will need a lift (body or suspention) or they'll rub. I THINK 4" is what is required for a sus. lift

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gryph