auto trans or rear banging

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Devil Dog08

Reaction score
hey all been a while since i posted a topic because things been well .but still always on here. a few weeks ago on my 95 full size 5.8 i started noticing when i get on the interstate i feel a banging noise coming from the rear or the trans.it kinda feels like when my speed sensor went bad and the truck was shifting erractily the speedometer was jumping all around and it was shifting at all different speeds and it felt like it was slipping.. the problem now seems to happen when i hit the passing gear but not all the time . my overdrive light os NOT flashing . i have a OBD can i check this problem with the plug in handheld i have? has anyone else had this problem and what is the fix? and like always thanks you guys are the best
clap.gif

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo DD!

Yes, scan it

run it around to heat the engine up and shift thru all gears incl Reverse.

then; turn off all accesories/lights, etc.

Do KOEO portion first

For Key On Engine Running (KOER) portion, the engine has to be @ normal operating temp.

Post any codes found here or look em up in my broncolinks.com site. I have a Search feature at top right section; sometimes you'll need to enter a 0 (Zero) and also try an O (letter O) for the PO____ Codes. Bec. some folks at the Links sites had data entry problems.

There could be a few factors causing the PSOM needle to jump & tranny to shift violently/eractically such as;

a damaged ABS tone ring/or shavings in the rear differential

a bad ABS (also called VSS) Sensor or it/s connector/wiring (corroded connections/conductors)

other connectors along da path thru the 4WABS Control Module & then up to da PSOM (Speedo/odometer) and then to the EEC/Cruise Control/ Overhead Console if equipped

& of course a faulty PSOM; sometimes due to a loose or bad solder joint inside

My ABS Module was fried and caused the PSOM needle to jump wildly, tranny to downshift suddenly and AMBER ABS light to turn on; also had a DTC and check engine light.

Tone Ring Inspection; "Take off the rear diff cover. Check the Ring Tone gear. It is located on the left hand side of the ring gear. Look to see if any of the teeth have been notched (from debris floating around in the diff.) Usually a spider gear. If the ring tone gear has been notched, it will need to be replaced to fix your speedo reading. Jack it up and rotate the tires to look for the teeth to be notched/broken/bent..."

Source: by Bighibbi

VSS Tone Ring Damage pics in a 95 8.8

Source: by sackman9975 at http://www.supermotors.net/registry/19344/67582

PSOM Pointer Waiver TSB 96-21-11 for 92-96; "..The speedometer needle may waver and or a light surge may occur on some vehicles...This may be due to slight dents/chips in either the exciter ring or the Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) and air gaps between the VSS and the exciter ring. Any slight dents, chips, etc., in either the exciter ring or VSS will create needle waver. Measure air gap between the VSS and exciter ring. It should be 0.38-0.51mm (0.015-0.020"). Check exciter ring runout per the same ring gear backface runout procedure of the appropriate model 1996 Powertrain/Drivetrain Service Manual, Section 05-00. Make sure the exciter ring is mounted correctly to the ring gear. If runout is more than 0.1mm (0.004"), perform the differential runout check per the procedure in the appropriate model 1996 Powertrain/Drivetrain Service Manual, Section 05-02A or 05-02D, to find cause and repair as needed. If all items listed above check good, replace the Instrument Cluster Assembly. Obtain the correct service part number from the Parts Catalogue and then contact the Electronic Odometer Exchange Center at (800) 259-9700 for U.S. Dealers and (800) 663-9974 for Canadian Dealers..." read more by Ford via miesk5 at http://home.comcast.net/~miesk5/technical_service_bulletins.htm#PSOM%20Pointer%20Waiver%20TSB%2096-21-11%20for%2092-96

This is the Ford overall TSB, but we can go to the Jumpering 4WABS Module next

-------

Continuity Test Through 4WABS Module Connector in 93-96; "...jumper 14 to 21, & 39 to 22..." MIESK5 NOTE; I did this on our 96; The 4WABS Controller was toasted; 2 yard Controller's were also bad; NO RETURNS!

Source: by Steve83 (Steve, That dirty old truck) at fourdoorbronco.com ; "...jumper 14 to 21, & 39 to 22..." MIESK5 NOTE; See diagram. I did this on our 96; The 4WABS Control Module was toasted; 2 yard 4WABS Control Modules were also bad; NO RETURNS!

Source: by Steve83 (Steve, That dirty old truck) at http://www.fourdoorbronco.com/board/showthread.php?t=5242t=102436&highlight=psom+4wabs&page=2

This is what Steve wrote in that thread;

In the 4WABS Module Connector; unplug it; You can jumper 14 to EITHER 21 or 22, and jumper 39 to the other (doesn't matter which way). You're trying to get the ABS (VSS) signal from the sensor directly to the PSOM. Look at that diagram again.

Just for clarity: jumper 14 to 21,

which in the 4WABS Connectors Diagrams for 93-96 is 14 (CKT 530, LG/Y) http://www.supermotors.net/vehicles/registry/media/280768 by Steve83 (Steve, That dirty old truck) at SuperMotors.net

to 21 (CKT 519 (LG/BK)

& 39 (CKT 491 (O/LB)

to 22 (CKT 523, R/PK)

Last edited by a moderator:

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo,

There is more involved for the symptoms, but the Code will help narrow it down.

For the ABS, Rear axle sensor, it should read 800-1400 Ohms across the pins, and more than 10 Ohms from the metal shell to either pin; this will help eliminate it; which is major cause of some Codes and symptoms.

OP
OP
Devil Dog08

Devil Dog08

Reaction score
hey thanks for the info . how many speed senxors are on the 95 bronco full size 5.8 auto trans? only asking because a while back when i got the speed sensor replaced before and they were saying there is one under the headlight. also i heard there is one mounted on the trans, .the only one i noticed on my truck was the one on the rear and here when i tried to disconnect it so i can check for corrosin at the pins it seemed loose but the retaining screws were tight.so i went to put the ohm meter on it and the meter is not working so i cleaned the connections snapped it back together and took the it on the hwy really getting on it and no problems but like i said before in the past few weeks the sound like the rear was banging only happened a few times

. . now if the piece only costs like 20 bucks for a new one and they are so easy to install why did the shop i always trusted charge me 225 bucks the last time i had one installed.....thanks everyone

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo DD,

There is one VSS, also called the ABS (anti-lock brake sensor) and also called the DSS (differential speed sensor)

on the 95 (same for all 92-96 Bronco) that is involved in the 4WABS system, PSOM (speedo/odometer), EEC, E4OD, and if equipped, Cruise Control & Overhead Console operation.

Previous years did have the VSS mtd on tranny tail shaft.

To make matters worse...lol; there is a speed sensor in the Shift on the Fly BW 1356 transfer case for it's operation but has nothing to do with all above.

and there are 4WABS wheel speed sensors mtd @ each wheeel area

You may have solved your "...was shifting erractily the speedometer was jumping all around and it was shifting at all different speeds and it felt like it was slipping.." problem!

Get away from that "shop" asap!

What they prob was ref. to is the 4WABS Control Module that is mtd. behind driver side headlight; which went bad on my Bronco 2 yrs ago and caused what you have plus the Amber ABS lamp was lit and I had a DTC (trouble code). The VSS's signal passes that 4WABS Module to the PSOM, EEC, E4OD etc.. Ford wired it that way instead of running a parallel ckt to the PSOM etc in case the Module fried...so, many have these sim probs due to a fried Module which also gets soaked when WS washer fluid and/or coolant recovery tanks overflow.

and for : "... . now if the piece only costs like 20 bucks for a new one and they are so easy to install why did the shop i always trusted charge me 225 bucks the last time i had one installed....."

Did they include a Code check in that price? Some shops still charge an up to $90.00 or so "Diagnostic" fee.

And then charge a minimum of One Hour labor for any job on a lift or jack.

So, there goes your hard-earned $$$.

Still, you should run that Self-Check for Codes even tho all seems good for practice and to ensure there is no other issues.

Post any Code(s) here.

GL!

OP
OP
Devil Dog08

Devil Dog08

Reaction score
jeez ....thanks for that but just got in from work and on the hwy it did that erratic down shift again going to work was fine . now i am noticeing its doing it when i take off from a dead stop but now i dont hear the bang like the gear was dropping in the trans i wondering if thats because i wasnt going fast .. now it sounds like when your going like 35 MPH and you manually down shift . i have a problem hearing my scanner due to i wear a hearing aid and trying to count the lights is driving me nuts and its really hard for me to hear the beeps with the flowmasters and all the noise from the engine .think im going to have to put it in the shop..but thanks for all your help
blush.gif

OP
OP
Devil Dog08

Devil Dog08

Reaction score
follow up on the trans problem . took truck to shop no codes showed up on the scanner . that was great news . but the problem was still happening. they dropped the pan cleaned the filter adjusted the bands whatever they are . .truck feels like brand new .between the filter being clogged and the bands getting adjusted the truck now feels normal . thank god for that . damage was only 75 bucks .
closedeyes.gif

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23