alternator quits intermittenly???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

riggermortis

Reaction score
looking for other ideas. :wacko: while driving along between 1K and 2K RPM my lights go dim, heater slows down, wipers slow down, and alt. gauge steadies at zero all at once just like i flipped a switch. then... a few seconds later, just like a switch everything comes back on. replaced alternator and voltage regulator and cleaned all terminals for both while i had it apart. it quit doing it for a while(about 3 weeks)now its doing it again. anybody got any ideas?? maybe bad ignition switch?? <_<

BroncoJoe19

Reaction score
I'd guess bad ground. Did you check and clean your battery cables at both ends, both the pos and neg?

BUCKIN67

Reaction score
Howdy, I got some info for ya. Take and install a DVOM (digital Volt Ohm meter) on the battery terminals and set it to DC volts, Start your engine, Next...while the engine is running wiggle the wiring harness at the firewall at the main connector ( right beside the master cylinder). Look while your doing this at the DVOM and read the voltage. I had found this problem years ago on mine, corrosion sets in along with oxidation and this is the root cause of intermittent loss of charge. You can use a good grade of Dielectric grease on the terminals to help prevent this after clean up. Your looking for the voltage to change on the meter while your tugging and moving near the connector at the firewall, if it does disconnect the connector and clean it out with a small brush or compressed air with gentle force, seal it with the dielectric grease and you should be fine. Hope this helps ya, Dusty Morgan

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
riggermortis

riggermortis

Reaction score
hey broncojoe, i did clean all of the connections while i had it apart, because i suspected that also,.... thats why i was looking for other ideas. buckin67,... are you talking about the newer 80's style round terminal below the booster? my 67 dont have anything but a molded grommet where it goes through the firewall. there is no connector/plug there. never the less i will go through and recheck all of the connections.

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Hi Rig..,

RU sure...?...my '66 has two male/female (ea. plug has some male & some female) plugs side by side at the firewall to connect/seperate the under hood wiring etc., from the dash wiring. (just inboard of the M/C)

Is it poss. the PO coated or in some way sealed those plugs..?

I believe Ford moved the hole in later EB's but they still plugged together.

Correct me if I'm wrong.......... :-B

Bronc76

Reaction score
BB-

Ford did move the hole, its on the very far driver's side firewall near the vent.

OP
OP
riggermortis

riggermortis

Reaction score
you guys are right, they are there inboard of the m/c. the reason i never noticed them is because they are covered with what looks like some kind of factory goo. so it looks like they have never been apart, so that might be a good place to start. thanks, i will post my findings.

OP
OP
riggermortis

riggermortis

Reaction score
just to keep up to date, i never have pulled those plugs apart. but it hasnt done it since. been running great, maybe i scared it into fixing itself??? :wacko:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23