Adventure or suicide? 88 Bronco 2 long haul through the southwest

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Looks like the rain finally quit and its gonna be a nice day to tinker. I,m gonna get some pictures of the wiring under the hood and behind the light switch. Of the back up light wiring. Hope to get it figured out today. Hope your feeling better Mike and thank you and all who have and is serving our country.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
no big load and not pulling anything!
I drive it daily and i know what is and is not right. Been doing a lot of fixes.
Perhaps it does need the road trip as the true test.

thanks for the vote of confidence!
when was the last time the bearing was checked and new grease put on them. Little things like that a person can over look. Make a emergency kit. Wire,oil grease. Things do pop up. You never know when you might get a oil leak or need a piece of wire .Along time ago I use to travel back and forwards Norfolk,Va all different times and bad weather and NEVER had a flat and NEVER had new tires. About a week after I got out of the navy. I went to go some place and had a flat in the drive way. I wish you a safe trip and the best of good luck. Look up .

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Don,t forget Green Sales Company--only sale Ford parts made in the USA AND NEW AND NEW OLD PARTS. I am starting to sound like a spokesman for them. hahahaha
I called Green Sales yesterday for a light switch and was told the haven,t had any in about 2 years. So I had to try my China junk (new) and its no good. I,ll keep looking.

Ernie/Chico

Reaction score
Im moving to Los Angeles this month and i am considering driving my 88 B2 manual trans out there. from Memphis the total drive is 1800 miles which is 3 days of driving 10 hours roughly. Hers is the breakdown of the truck....

100k miles on the original 2.9 liter v6 with a manual trans.
Since buying it in jan of 2021 it has never given me any engine trouble and the trans is in great shape. has been inspected multiple times.
New tires. New u joints and ball joints. new brakes.
NO TEMP SENSOR. the temp gauge does not work it needs a new sensor so i never know how hot its running.
all the cooling and radiator just got checked and is good.
NO AC. does not even have the compressor it in so no AC anytime soon.

So my question to you all is..(all opinions wanted clearly) Is it is wise to drive it to LA through the scorching desert from Memphis in this condition? i have driven it for hours at a time in 97 degree Mississippi delta heat and its never had an issue. Then again its never done 1800 miles directly through the gates of **** that is Phoenix. Obviously i have to consider my personal well being in the matter but i figure with lots of drinking water in the cab i can make it no prob.

is this
Im moving to Los Angeles this month and i am considering driving my 88 B2 manual trans out there. from Memphis the total drive is 1800 miles which is 3 days of driving 10 hours roughly. Hers is the breakdown of the truck....

Since buying it in jan of 2021 it has never given me any engine trouble and the trans is in great shape. has been inspected multiple times.
NO TEMP SENSOR. the temp gauge does not work it needs a new sensor so i never know how hot its running.

So my question to you all is..(all opinions wanted clearly) Is it is wise to drive it to LA through the scorching desert from Memphis in this condition? i have driven it for hours at a time in 97 degree Mississippi delta heat and its never had an issue. Then again its never done 1800 miles directly through the gates of **** that is Phoenix. Obviously i have to consider my personal well being in the matter but i figure with lots of drinking water in the cab i can make it no prob.

is this an adventure or is this suicide for the truck?
I run the 300 inline in my full size bronco no a/c no carpet top off all summer long here in Northern California. Arizona might be hot but it’s flat so if the B2 is anything like mine I’d take hot and flat over climbing hills at 35 mph at >3500 rpm

johnnyreb

Reaction score
I run the 300 inline in my full size bronco no a/c no carpet top off all summer long here in Northern California. Arizona might be hot but it’s flat so if the B2 is anything like mine I’d take hot and flat over climbing hills at 35 mph at >3500 rpm
You live close to Eureka,Cali?

jack1776

Reaction score

Personally I wouldn't drive anything without air. As far as your B2, I would want to know the engine temp. I don't think its suicide on the bronco, just on you for no ac.

AGENTNEAB

Reaction score
Looks like I'm a little late to the party, but here's my two cents:
Short version:
I support the idea of doing this trip. It's a great way to shakedown/stress test the truck. I make trips like this a lot, and I'm always glad that I do. It helps work out all the little kinks and get a feel for what its capable of.

Long version: in my experience
I'm in Oxford, MS and I make regular trips to Fort Lauderdale, FL in my 85 Bronco, w/ a more/less factory 351W. Highly recommend a functional temp sensor. That was a good idea and you wont regret it. In my experience, especially this summer, my speed on the highway is dictated by my engine temp. The faster I'd go, the hotter it'd get. As soon as the clouds came in or it rained, temp wasn't an issue at all. Also, I run 70-80 w/out overdrive so... go figure.
(190-200º: not concerned at all, 200-209º: maybe slow down/pay attention, 210º +: to hot, make it cool off)

On a different note, I've made the trip several times and something random always breaks, but never stranded. My truck is also in way worse shape than yours so again... go figure. I always bring some tools and electrical stuff, just as a precaution. It sounds like your motor/drivetrain is in good condition so you shouldn't have to worry about throwing a rod, dropping a valve, stripping a gear, etc.

I hope this helps, I really just wanted to give you an idea of what you could see, and share common issues that I run into w/ trips like that.

Go on an adventure, get busy livin.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo AGENTNEAB,
Thanks for sharing your experiences and welcome!

Here are;
1985 Bronco Dealer Brochure via Gary @ 1985 Bronco - Gary's Garagemahal (the Bullnose bible)

1985 EVTM - Gary's Garagemahal (the Bullnose bible) by Ford via Gary

1985 Owner Guide by Ford via Gary

Ford Manual Transmissions @ Ford Truck Manual Transmissions – Blue Oval Trucks

1985 Bronco/F Series Specifications by Ford via Gary

1985 Bronco/F Series Lubricant Specifications by Ford via Gary

1985-1986 Fuel System Adjustments - Gary's Garagemahal (the Bullnose bible) by Ford via Gary

80-86 Bronco Differences by Gary @ 1980 - 86 Ford Trucks - Gary's Garagemahal (the Bullnose bible)

Fasteners & Illustrations by Gary @ Ford 1980-86 Pickup Fasteners - Gary's Garagemahal (the Bullnose bible)

1985 Exterior Colors& Codes by Ford via Gary

Haynes Red Manual for 80-95 Bronco & F Series @ Hanes guide 80-96 bko f series.pdf via BroncMom
Al

ablediver

Reaction score

How about scheduling your drive through the desert at night? It'll be a bit cooler with a lot less traffic

griff

Reaction score
I echo what johnnyreb touched on in regards to smog cert. Also their gas prices are insane (a state that drills and refines their own gas). Traffic is often a nightmare. I changed my work schedule to afternoon so I rarely experienced it.

I had my '92 Bronco (150K miles/automatic trans) out there for 20 years. The plus side is nothing really rusts there. I also know a good resource (mechanic shop owner who built his own custom Bronco) if you need something done.

I moved to Virginia in '19 and drove it (I-40). I went over it closely before leaving. The vehicle drove well & gas was cheap along the way. Loved the 365 view along the way that the Bronco provides with the big windows. Very comfortable trip.

Since most of your mileage will be highway I think that solid trans you have should be fine. I didn't have an inkling of temp. issues at all. Safe travels!

johnnyreb

Reaction score
I echo what johnnyreb touched on in regards to smog cert. Also their gas prices are insane (a state that drills and refines their own gas). Traffic is often a nightmare. I changed my work schedule to afternoon so I rarely experienced it.

I had my '92 Bronco (150K miles/automatic trans) out there for 20 years. The plus side is nothing really rusts there. I also know a good resource (mechanic shop owner who built his own custom Bronco) if you need something done.

I moved to Virginia in '19 and drove it (I-40). I went over it closely before leaving. The vehicle drove well & gas was cheap along the way. Loved the 365 view along the way that the Bronco provides with the big windows. Very comfortable trip.

Since most of your mileage will be highway I think that solid trans you have should be fine. I didn't have an inkling of temp. issues at all. Safe travels!
In 72 . I started tomove their. I was in Nam with a friend from Semi Valley (L A area) I subscribed to a magazine called California. It had places for rent and talked about California. The rent changed my mind very quick. $1,000 and up for rent a WEEK. I kept in touch with my friend over time. About 4 years ago he bought a place in Arkansa. After 1 visit to his nieces. Now he is saleing everything in California and moving to Arkansa. He said California has become a cesspoll with illegal immigrants. It wasn,t safe to even go to the beach. He works on air planes and his business is (was) right across from LAX. He built his new shop in Arkansa and loves it. He said alot of people are leaving California because of high taxes,crime,illegal immigrants and moving away fast. Arkansa is the best thing he done. The people are alot more friendly ,alot less crime and cleaner. Its hard to say what the rent is now. They way it changed. I,m glad I didn,t go.

griff

Reaction score
I,d definitely get the temperatur gauge working or put a manual one in it. You definitel don,t want to get stranded in the hot heat. Take plenty of water ,tools,tarp for shade just in case..Some rope to tie it different points. When I,d go in the mountains about 30 miles from no where. I have things to camp and survive and make it out. Always try to be prepared the best you can. If your gonna stay their. Will your vehicle pass their smog junk laws? Alot of consider when you go their. Alot of people leaving their because of their high cost of taxes and living expense. Plus crime rate.
I agree about considering the pros and cons. Didn't care for some things about the city, but I adapted to make it work for me. I bought an old but nice racing sailboat for $1500 and had a blast! No crime out on that amazing ocean. (Santana Schock 27 1/2 ft). The music scene is amazing and you can catch live shows with name talent any night of the week cheap and at smaller venues. The major headache besides traffic there is the cost of housing, it's insane! So I lived on that sailboat for five years and saved a fortune!

chrlsful

Reaction score
I have not read the above.
I drove a 66 Dart wagon (my 64 motor swapped in) around the perimiter states of this big ol beautiful country (Bicentennial + 1 yr) loaded down to da max inside, big over stuffed roof rack....no big deal. I'd say if you do a 2 hr shake dwn cruze OK (follow w/a check up) ur "all set". B4 U leave ck: coolant (ie hoses, belts - the system), wheel berrings, frnt end, U-Joints, tune-up, tires, that would B it. Any tools will pretty much be so basic (screwdriver, plyers) that you'd wanna have a lift/garage to do any wrk anyway.

I'd also say 65/70 MPH w/that lill bob tail is sufficient. I was 20 doing my trip & had no cellie or "friends" along the way. Only trouble was due to a wheel berring. Could not have guessed it as it was out 1/2 way on the trip (3K mi?) started @ Hoover Dam, on AZ line, gave out Tonopah, NV.
Today we have on-line clubs like this. We just set upa guy for Huston to Tampa drivin'n ol Willys he'd just bought. He was told all the juke joints and cat fish houses along the way, met guys from on line, was never more'n a few hrs from a helpin hand. I recommend U use this forum for same. Figure route and timing and announce. Seek "passers-by" or what have you...promise to post pic here (that was MY request)...he did fine'n this wuz wid a car he'd never run B4...

griff

Reaction score
In 72 . I started tomove their. I was in Nam with a friend from Semi Valley (L A area) I subscribed to a magazine called California. It had places for rent and talked about California. The rent changed my mind very quick. $1,000 and up for rent a WEEK. I kept in touch with my friend over time. About 4 years ago he bought a place in Arkansa. After 1 visit to his nieces. Now he is saleing everything in California and moving to Arkansa. He said California has become a cesspoll with illegal immigrants. It wasn,t safe to even go to the beach. He works on air planes and his business is (was) right across from LAX. He built his new shop in Arkansa and loves it. He said alot of people are leaving California because of high taxes,crime,illegal immigrants and moving away fast. Arkansa is the best thing he done. The people are alot more friendly ,alot less crime and cleaner. Its hard to say what the rent is now. They way it changed. I,m glad I didn,t go.

griff

Reaction score
I get it. Trying my best to keep it 'Bronco' but we do have a lot of work to do in our amazing country!

OP
OP
Big_Dad_Energy_83

Big_Dad_Energy_83

Reaction score
UPDATE. i was planning on starting the drive out friday but last night my clutch went limp while i was driving. I just put it in neutral and coasted into a parking spot and called the flat bed wrecker guy and had it towed to the shop. There is no pressure or resistance in the clutch and it will just swing back and forth. So its either the ***** cylinder or the spring. the fluid was still in. Anyway this sets me back a few days but thankfully this happened here and not in the middle of nowhere in New Mexico.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
UPDATE. i was planning on starting the drive out friday but last night my clutch went limp while i was driving. I just put it in neutral and coasted into a parking spot and called the flat bed wrecker guy and had it towed to the shop. There is no pressure or resistance in the clutch and it will just swing back and forth. So its either the ***** cylinder or the spring. the fluid was still in. Anyway this sets me back a few days but thankfully this happened here and not in the middle of nowhere in New Mexico.
Sorry about the bad luck,but consider yoursellf luck. It happened close to home and not out on your trip. If the cylinder is full . Its the spring. Which should not take long to fix or cost much. If it was the spring and they put in a new one and the pedal comes up high. The spring is weak and you,ll need a stronger one.To bring the pedal down with the brake pedal. If the pedal comes way up and you leave it--you,ll change it soon.Get tired of your leg coming up high..hahaha

OP
OP
Big_Dad_Energy_83

Big_Dad_Energy_83

Reaction score
Looks like I'm a little late to the party, but here's my two cents:
Short version:
I support the idea of doing this trip. It's a great way to shakedown/stress test the truck. I make trips like this a lot, and I'm always glad that I do. It helps work out all the little kinks and get a feel for what its capable of.

Long version: in my experience
I'm in Oxford, MS and I make regular trips to Fort Lauderdale, FL in my 85 Bronco, w/ a more/less factory 351W. Highly recommend a functional temp sensor. That was a good idea and you wont regret it. In my experience, especially this summer, my speed on the highway is dictated by my engine temp. The faster I'd go, the hotter it'd get. As soon as the clouds came in or it rained, temp wasn't an issue at all. Also, I run 70-80 w/out overdrive so... go figure.
(190-200º: not concerned at all, 200-209º: maybe slow down/pay attention, 210º +: to hot, make it cool off)

On a different note, I've made the trip several times and something random always breaks, but never stranded. My truck is also in way worse shape than yours so again... go figure. I always bring some tools and electrical stuff, just as a precaution. It sounds like your motor/drivetrain is in good condition so you shouldn't have to worry about throwing a rod, dropping a valve, stripping a gear, etc.

I hope this helps, I really just wanted to give you an idea of what you could see, and share common issues that I run into w/ trips like that.

Go on an adventure, get busy livin.
Im actually in clarksdale MS! Will be making the trip from here.

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
You don't need a clutch you *****. LOL. If it will start in first gear you are good to go.

have driven many a miles without a clutch. But yeah, glad it happened now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke