Adventure or suicide? 88 Bronco 2 long haul through the southwest

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big_Dad_Energy_83

Reaction score
Im moving to Los Angeles this month and i am considering driving my 88 B2 manual trans out there. from Memphis the total drive is 1800 miles which is 3 days of driving 10 hours roughly. Hers is the breakdown of the truck....

100k miles on the original 2.9 liter v6 with a manual trans.
Since buying it in jan of 2021 it has never given me any engine trouble and the trans is in great shape. has been inspected multiple times.
New tires. New u joints and ball joints. new brakes.
NO TEMP SENSOR. the temp gauge does not work it needs a new sensor so i never know how hot its running.
all the cooling and radiator just got checked and is good.
NO AC. does not even have the compressor it in so no AC anytime soon.

So my question to you all is..(all opinions wanted clearly) Is it is wise to drive it to LA through the scorching desert from Memphis in this condition? i have driven it for hours at a time in 97 degree Mississippi delta heat and its never had an issue. Then again its never done 1800 miles directly through the gates of **** that is Phoenix. Obviously i have to consider my personal well being in the matter but i figure with lots of drinking water in the cab i can make it no prob.

is this an adventure or is this suicide for the truck?

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
I think it will be okay. Are you going to be loaded heavy or pulling a trailer?

many times I thought a vehicle would not make it, just slow down, don't force it. In the end 1800 miles is not that much.

For me the big thing is, you drive it daily? So you would know if something isn't right? And are you fixing it or ignoring it.

next question is, if you haven't driven in for over an hour, take a road trip just to see what breaks.

for years I drove my car 45 minutes one way to work. Swore the car was dependable until I needed to drive it for 46 minutes one day.
Make sense?

OP
OP
Big_Dad_Energy_83

Big_Dad_Energy_83

Reaction score
I think it will be okay. Are you going to be loaded heavy or pulling a trailer?

many times I thought a vehicle would not make it, just slow down, don't force it. In the end 1800 miles is not that much.

For me the big thing is, you drive it daily? So you would know if something isn't right? And are you fixing it or ignoring it.

next question is, if you haven't driven in for over an hour, take a road trip just to see what breaks.

for years I drove my car 45 minutes one way to work. Swore the car was dependable until I needed to drive it for 46 minutes one day.
Make sense?
no big load and not pulling anything!
I drive it daily and i know what is and is not right. Been doing a lot of fixes.
Perhaps it does need the road trip as the true test.

thanks for the vote of confidence!

Last edited:

johnnyreb

Reaction score
no big load and not pulling anything!
I drive it daily and i know what is and is not right. Been doing a lot of fixes.
Perhaps it does need the road trip as the true test.

thanks for the vote of confidence!
I,d definitely get the temperatur gauge working or put a manual one in it. You definitel don,t want to get stranded in the hot heat. Take plenty of water ,tools,tarp for shade just in case..Some rope to tie it different points. When I,d go in the mountains about 30 miles from no where. I have things to camp and survive and make it out. Always try to be prepared the best you can. If your gonna stay their. Will your vehicle pass their smog junk laws? Alot of consider when you go their. Alot of people leaving their because of their high cost of taxes and living expense. Plus crime rate.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
I,d definitely get the temperatur gauge working or put a manual one in it. You definitel don,t want to get stranded in the hot heat. Take plenty of water ,tools,tarp for shade just in case..Some rope to tie it different points. When I,d go in the mountains about 30 miles from no where. I have things to camp and survive and make it out. Always try to be prepared the best you can. If your gonna stay their. Will your vehicle pass their smog junk laws? Alot of consider when you go their. Alot of people leaving their because of their high cost of taxes and living expense. Plus crime rate.
Good luck.

OP
OP
Big_Dad_Energy_83

Big_Dad_Energy_83

Reaction score
yes i would bring survival gear and plenty of water. the temp gauge is really all im worried about. I recently left NYC after 12 years so i am accustomed to the high cost of living and taxes. As of now there is no way it would pass the California emissions test but i am aware of that and will prob have to sink 1500 into it to get it to pass. new CAT converter muffler etc...

johnnyreb

Reaction score
yes i would bring survival gear and plenty of water. the temp gauge is really all im worried about. I recently left NYC after 12 years so i am accustomed to the high cost of living and taxes. As of now there is no way it would pass the California emissions test but i am aware of that and will prob have to sink 1500 into it to get it to pass. new CAT converter muffler etcI

johnnyreb

Reaction score
I,d definiely get the gauge working or get a good reliable on that will. You dealing with your life. The hot sun can dehydrate the body very fast. Good luck and be careful.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo Big_Dad,
Why not purchase a coolant sensor?
Following from Rock Auto;
Screenshot_20210901-080422_Chrome.jpg

Or purchase from NAPA, ADVANCE AUTO, BUT NEVER FROM auto zone.

Enjoy your trip!

OP
OP
Big_Dad_Energy_83

Big_Dad_Energy_83

Reaction score
Update. I have a temperature sensor replacement being installed today. If that does not fix the issue then guage in the dash is most likely broken and i will have to get an external gauge installed

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo,
O'Reilly is ok, just had to post short list, then run to ***.
Aftermarket sources, such as AC-Delco, Interstate, and Motorcraft, etc., often feature lighter, stronger materials, are easier to install, and often last longer. They are tailor-made to fix specific issues, making sure that under-hood PSSSSTTTing sound is not heard again soon after sensor installation.

The Zone usually stocks non-Motorcraft Parts, but they do have the sensor!
Screenshot_20210901-110513_Chrome.jpg

As you probably surmise, I always use Motorcraft parts. Never had one fail prematurely or not fitting without proper threads or terminals, etc
See Ford Motorcraft Parts by Ford with short version part numbers & some depictions
Official Ford Parts Site @ Parts.Ford.com | The Ford Parts Site | Buy OEM Ford Parts Online‎
Excerpt:
Screenshot_20210901-112624_Chrome.jpg

OP
OP
Big_Dad_Energy_83

Big_Dad_Energy_83

Reaction score
Yo,
Aftermarket sources, such as AC-Delco, Interstate, and Motorcraft, etc., often feature lighter, stronger materials, are easier to install, and often last longer. They are tailor-made to fix specific issues, making sure that under-hood PSSSSTTTing sound is not heard again soon after sensor installation.

View attachment 28436

As you probably surmise, I always use Motorcraft parts. Never had one fail prematurely or not fitting without proper threads or terminals, etc
See Ford Motorcraft Parts by Ford with short version part numbers & some depictions
Official Ford Parts Site @ Parts.Ford.com | The Ford Parts Site | Buy OEM Ford Parts Online‎
Excerpt:
View attachment 28435
Great thank you! hopefully the temp sensor i got will work as a short term solution. Ill take your word for it and be a motorcraft man hence forward.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Curious to know why auto zone is on your black list.
Most of these fast auto parts places sale China junk and its not worth taking out the door. Even most of their help .Doesn,t have or know anything about mechanic. Drive buy and look at their parking lot or go inside. They are loosing out. Try Green Sales Company for Ford --made in America part. Fast -courtesy service. Their number is 800-543-4959. .

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
I know motorcraft is the best. Spending years trying to keep kids cars running you have to be frugal sometimes.

My opinion is, if it is simple to change go cheap.

If it is buried and difficult. OEM.

So cool, if it is working, run it. It doesn't have to be accurate as much as it needs to provide a consistent reference point.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Yo,

View attachment 28436

Excerpt:
View attachment 28435
Don,t forget Green Sales Company--only sale Ford parts made in the USA AND NEW AND NEW OLD PARTS. I am starting to sound like a spokesman for them. hahahaha

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke