96 switch to push button start? Ignition switch actuator rod broken

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

96newbie

Reaction score
Hey everybody! I’m new to all this forum stuff but I’ve done a lot of searches on here for this issue. My ignition switch actuator rod broke (the white plastic piece on the steering column) of my 96. So as of right now, I’ve got the ignition switch dropped and I’m using the lever that sticks out of the top to turn on and off my Bronco. I’m thinking of doing a push button and remote start kit, and while I’m doing all this rewiring, I thought I might make the back window remote capable too. I’ve read a lot of posts about push button starts and most still use the key, whereas I would not be capable of that now as it would just spin in the ignition lock cylinder. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo 96,
Welcome!
Push Button Switch w/very basic installation info.

Fancy System @ https://www.digitalguarddawg.com/auto/
But Big $$$

Actuator Rod Pics (Upper & Lower); 92-96 w/Ford Part Numbers by http://www.steeringcolumnservices.com/ford/ignition-actuators.php
"Actuator (upper)
This white plastic ignition actuator gear with teeth often breaks prevents you from starting or shutting off the vehicle with the ignition key. The ignition rack actuator failure if often misdiagnosed as a ignition lock or ignition switch problem.
Actuator (lower) OEM # F2DZ 3E723 A
Fits Makes: Ford Cars & Trucks
Fits Years: 1992-2008
$28.63
This white plastic ignition actuator is the lower actuator on most Ford cars and trucks. This piece is actually what joins with the ignition switch to start the car. It is pushed by the ignition lock cyliner and upper rack gear.
Our Part # RACK06
OEM # F0DZ 3E715 A
Fits Makes: Ford Cars & Trucks
Fits Years: 1992-2008
$32.08"

Actuator Replacement w/Tilt; "...Symptoms of the problem before tearing into the steering column was that I could start the truck, but not shut it off. The key was easily turned without any “normal” resistance/spring to it and all accessories had power with the key in any position. The rest is pretty simple though. All reverse of installation..."
Source: by KC200787 at http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=181708

ASAP, find out if speed control recall work, if equipped was completed. If you still have concerns about Recalls, please contact the Ford Customer Relationship Center:
US: 800-392-3673 | CA: 800-565-3673
Note: 3673 spells "FORD" on phone keys
For the hearing- or speech-impaired: Please contact the Telecommunication Relay Service by dialing 71
... have VIN ready.
"Summary: ON CERTAIN PICKUP TRUCKS, PASSENGER VEHICLES, SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES, AND MOTOR HOMES CHASSIS, THE SPEED CONTROL DEACTIVATION SWITCH MAY, UNDER CERTAIN CONDITIONS, LEAK INTERNALLY AND THEN OVERHEAT, SMOKE, OR BURN. THIS COULD RESULT IN AN UNDERHOOD FIRE."
To confirm current status, use this guide by jowens1126 @ 93 & 94-96 Cruise Control Recalls Repair
Note that the 93 recall is different than the 94-96 recall.

Here's the 1996 Bronco/F-Series Workshop Manual partial
Download it.

96 Bronco Owner's Guide, Maintenance Schedules & Parts and Accessories by Ford @ Owner Manuals | fleet.ford.com

96 Bronco Dealer Brochure @ 1996 Ford Bronco Technical Info pictures, videos, and sounds | SuperMotors.net ... scroll down

96 Bronco Quick Tips Brochure Excerpts & some Eddie Bauer options @ 1983 Ford Bronco 96 EB Bronco Brochures pictures, videos, and sounds | SuperMotors.net
Al

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210411-090546_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210411-090546_Chrome.jpg
    644.3 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_20210411-090558_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210411-090558_Chrome.jpg
    407.6 KB · Views: 2
OP
OP

96newbie

Reaction score
Thanks mies5k for all the info. I’ve got some options it looks like. I’ll have to check out the recall situation and I’ll keep y’all updated with progress.

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
Push button will work and is fairly simple, but it is kind of scary, you don't want to bypass the neutral safety switch.

If you jumper your push button to the correct wire on the ignition switch it should be safe, but honestly it will probably not take any longer to fix the linkage in the column.

paul rondelli

Reaction score
I HATE THE PLASTIC ACTUATOR ROD SET UP!!!!!

Both my broncos have toggle switch setup's directly to the starter relay. It's all fun and games until someone else drives your Bronco ….. especially if you have a manual transmission. The direct set up by passes everything and will allow your ride to turn over while in gear … and my starter is strong enough to move the Bronco and keep it going.

Also if you have battery issues and accidently leave the toggle engaged while fiddling with the terminals you can run yourself over.

Be careful

Just supply 12 V to the "s" terminal on the starter relay and the starter will engage. You will still need the key in the run position to provide fuel.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke