92-96 bush bar?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Krafty

Reaction score
I want a bush bar on the front of my 93 but my bumper has no exterior mounting holes or bolts, so my question is typically how do they mount on 92-96?, and because I am probably just going to make my own, is the front bumper just chrome plated steel I could grind down and weld to?

the one in my picture I made myself but it had bolts to the frame through the bumper I just made the bush bar mounts using the same bolts

Last edited by a moderator:

defiant

Reaction score
Krafty, there are to types of grill guards -one just uses your exsiting bumper bolts the other will use your frame under the bumper and your bumper bolts( this a much stronger set up) So first one light brush protection mount your lights! second one because you tied it to lower frame you could add tow hooks!Your bumper is crome plated and yes you could grind off plating and weld to it i would use tig. not stick! good luck

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo Krafty,

I have some fab links in my site @ http://www.broncolinks.com/index.php?index=435

incl some diy type

such as;

Brush Guard Fabrication & Installation pics in an 83

Source: by lightnin (The Tank, Broncinator, John H)

and pics mounted from sources such as; Smittybilt©, TJM

Push Bar;

Setina pic in a 96; we have the PB100 16" Steel model, great Qual, powder coating has held up A#1 over 14 yrs; order their catalog

Source: by miesk5 at http://www.broncolinks.com/gallery_images/SetinaPB100PushBarona96.JPG

OP
OP
Krafty

Krafty

Reaction score
one thing Ive noticed on my 93 is it has the rippled front frame for a crush zone for in an accident, my question is there any legal issue with modifying or beefing up that section of frame with this bush bar I plan on building.

after looking at some of miesks links ive decided to weld a mount connecting to the frame above and below the bumper, then either bolting or welding to my bush bar cut out of 1/4" diamond plate and some heavy wall tube. gonna weld grab hooks on both sides and fab up a winch mount just above the bumper.

but I gotta talk to the boss about what he'll charge me for using up some of his left over pieces of plate, I have a feeling though all ill have to pay for is the winch and the grab hooks.

I have another plan for doing a home made 4" lift kit for around $250. but one thing at a time.

PS. if anyone here has the exact dimensions of their axle drop brackets for the 4-6" lifts either in a scanned image or auto-cad file that would be awesome. and the distance from the underside of the frame to the top of the radius arm bushing with the same kit so I know how far I have to drop my radius arm brakets.

you can email the file(s) to [email protected]

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo KRAFTY,

This is by Henry J;

WARNING: DO NOT STRAIGHTEN FRONT FRAME RAIL CONVOLUTES.

upper case is from the 96 Bronco Workshop Manual

===========

I know the convlute is part of the Restraints, Passive system (Crumple Zone) & Ford does advise not to touch it esp when installing tow hooks, etc.

OP
OP
Krafty

Krafty

Reaction score
okay thats alot of information, but it seems to deal with mainly making it stronger in an accident or repair situation, and nothing to the side of bracing for modification. ill dicuss this with a mechanic to see which option would pass a safety.

and im serious about those lift brackets if someone could send me some measurements.

thanks

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo,

I edited my reply to remove the extra info; if find any frame damage ask and I'll send it to you by pm or post it here.

re; "...it has the rippled front frame for a crush zone for in an accident, my question is there any legal issue with modifying or beefing up that section of frame with this bush bar I plan on building..."

No legal issues unless a worse case accident and insurance company has any clauses in policy letting 'em slide out of personal injuty payments due to mods.

The only thing I could find in the Ford Workshop manual is; WARNING: DO NOT STRAIGHTEN FRONT FRAME RAIL CONVOLUTES.

upper case is from the 96 Bronco Workshop Manual; so depending on what your "...modifying or beefing up that section of frame.." entails, that is all there is, but there prob is more on that section in Light Truck Shop Manual

OP
OP
Krafty

Krafty

Reaction score
that is almost exactly what I had in mind for the mounting brackets, but instead of just having them off the frame to bumper mounts I was going to tie it back to the sway bar to frame mounts,

have a piece of angle from swaybar mounts come straight out which the verticals will mount to, then have either flat bar or angle off the bumper bolts with a piece of flat bar sticking out above the bumper, and have it bolt to my lower angle, then make the whole front assembly weld to my lower angle so ill have about 3/8's of steel there and mount a 3 ton shackle on each side where they overlap.

when I get to making some more progress on this project ill be sure to take some pictures ( itll make more sense when you see it).

also on one of miesks links a guy have made a winch mount that fit into his hitch receiver, my idea is to simplify his design and put a 2" receiver INSIDE the lower pipe going across the front. then you only have to buy one winch and wire up two quick connects so your one winch can go in the front or the back.

not to mention anywhere else you can put a 2" receiver. ( car or boat trailer anyone?)

wileec

Reaction score
The extra support from warn is shown here on the forward side of the bumper mount (Angle iron shaped to match). The bolts through the frame are part of that support.

winch5.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23