89 Xlt Trans Trouble

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gameshooter

Reaction score
I`m new on the forum .Can some one please help me .I`ve got a 89 Ford F150 XLT,with a 302HDand AOD trans.they were both put in year before last.The trans has not shifted right from get go. Does any body know how to adjust linkage.At first it would jump into passing gear so I put it in 2nd gear and it shifted great. Now it want shift out of first in any gear.Thanks.

Seabronc

Reaction score
Assuming that the transmission is OK internally, I would guess that you might have one or of two problems.

1. Would be the vacuum modulator. (more on this if necessary)

2. Would be the mechanical linkage.

Adjusting proceedure:

1. With engine stopped and parking brake applied, placethe transmission selector lever at the steering column in (D) position and hold against the drive position stop ( with a weight of a helper) .

2. Loosen the shift rod adjusting nut (it is on the lower end of the rod connecting to the shift column).

3. Shift the manual lever at the transmission into the drive position, by moving the detent lever all the way rearward then two detents forward.

4. With the selector lever at the transmission manual lever in the (D) position, tighten the nut to 12 - 18 ft. lb. Use care to prevent motion between the stud and the rod.

5. Remove the weight or your assistant from the selector lever ****.

6. Operate the shift lever in all positions to make certain that the manual lever at the transmission is full detent in all gear ranges. Re-adjust the linkage if required.

7. Check for correct operation of the automatic transmission selector indicator, adjust if required. ( If you need the proceedure to adjust the indicator, I'll give it to you in another post.

Good luck,

:)>-

sweepersrgr8

"GET ER DONE"
Reaction score
Just another thought to add to Seabronc's good advice...since you say it's been messed up from the get-go, check to see if there is a clamp holding the shift cable in place under the truck.

Mine is an '89 also, but with a C-6, and is cable operated, if I disconnect the clamp holding the cable to the cross-member, the cable will move, but not properly shift the trans lever

Seabronc

Reaction score
If you have a cable operated shift linkage, the proceedure would be basically the same. It will have a stud nut arrangement that the cable passes thru. You do everything the same except the adjustment is by loosening the stud nut and slipping the cable to remove the slack and then tighten. :blush: Sorry, forgot about that method. I think in a early to mid 80's mode B) .

And yah as Sweepersrgr8 said, a cable operated mechanism will not work without the sheath clamped. And now that I think about your symptoms, that is most likely the problem, it probably was slipping and now completely loose.

Oh yah, welcome to the Zone
clap.gif
/biggrin.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' /><' /> .

Good luck,

:)>-

OP
OP
G

gameshooter

Reaction score
Thanks for the info .IT has never sliped or any thing before. IT only jumped in passing to much in reg. drive and now it want change.I have a friend thats going to help too.I really want to thank ya for your imput. It`s that time of the year that I need it the most.I`ll get back to let ya know what was wrong. Thanks I`ll see ya in the zone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
david@holycitytransportat