89 xlt bronco

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89xlt

Reaction score
ok im 16 and have a 1989 xlt bronco. it was passed down to me from my dad who bought it new. i am currently having transmission trouble. when its cold or the transmission is cold it doesnt want to go into a gear. from park to overdrive it doesnt do anything but rev up for a min and then kicks into gear after rpms are rased. it does it in reverse too the reverse lights come on but revs. i either believe it is a vacume problem or problems. havnt pulled codes yet. i plan on doin it this weekend. it has had alot of work recently.just had valve cover and intake manifold gaskets repaired. before that i had a bad u joint coming out of t case had it rebuilt i have had what i think was the ignition control or whatever it is called.. kept going dead on me after warm up, but all that is fixed... the motor has had a complete tune up had timing re adjusted and ditributor... can anyone help me... this truck has been in my family since it came off the show room floor ive currently spent to much money on this my parents say... it does shift funny down the rd too. it seems like it shifts to early and when i let off the gas i hear a big clunk, going up hill i either have to floor it or let it drop speed way down before jumps into a lower gear.. can anybody help me im tired of riding the bus to school because my truck has let me down.. o and it is on 31x10.50 dayton timberline mts if that information is needed... and no regear done at all this truck is stock thanks.

1989 bronco big body

31x10.50 dayton timberline mts

pioneer sound system

Last edited by a moderator:

Krafty

Reaction score
lol it seems i ll be answering alot of your questions, first off, if you go into your profile and click on signature you can put down all the important information about your bronco that will help us help you (engine size, transmission model, any significant modifications). your signature is included with every post so you don't have to keep typing it out every time.

Now on the topic of your transmission the best thing to do in any situation are diagnostics. the easiest thing you can do at this point is try to narrow down the sources of your problem. Have you checked your transmission fluid level? now remember to get an accurate reading the transmission MUST be warm about 10 to 20 min of driving using every gear and your engine MUST be running when you check it.

an automatic transmission uses hydraulic pressure to transfer drive from the engine to the wheels, typically when a trans doesnt go into gear right away its caused by a lack of hydraulic pressure. the only thing the vacuum does on a trans from this era is control when the trans goes into the NEXT gear, wide open throttle vacuum drops and the vacuum modulator delays the up shift until it hits the pre set rpm.

clear as mud?

OP
OP

89xlt

Reaction score
haha iv been busy searching for my problem. but it has the 5.0l i believe the aod transmisson. it has the touch drive as ford calls it. i dont know if that will help any. so how would it loose hydralic pressure?

Seabronc

Reaction score
haha iv been busy searching for my problem. but it has the 5.0l i believe the aod transmisson. it has the touch drive as ford calls it. i dont know if that will help any. so how would it loose hydralic pressure?

By not having the proper amount of transmission fluid. You might want to consider having the transmission fluid flushed plus having a new filter put into it. Check the color of the fluid, it should be bright RED. Off hand I'm not sure if the 89 AOD used a vacuum modulator or not, but if so, it is on the right rear side of the transmission with a vacuum line coming out the end of it. Pull the line off and check for transmission fluid in the line, if there is, then the modulator needs to be changed, (easy job). If you need a new one, you will need to know what the color of the band around it is, ( take it out and don't loose the little rod that may come out with it). If you are going to get one, get one from a professional auto supply, not a place like Auto Zone.

Good luck,

peace.gif

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnK