88' cranks with key out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Broncobill78

Reaction score
I was just out goofing around with my friend's 88' lawn ornament trying to get it to fire (now it has spark but no fuel :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> ) and it keeps cranking even after the key's been taken out of the lock cylinder. I'm wondering if it's related to the recent no-fuel problem. Any suggestions ? Iwas thinking maybe a mis-aligned ignition switch but I know I've read something about this before.

Bronc76

Reaction score
Sounds like it is a misaligned switch or its just bad. does it start with vehicle in 'drive' or 'reverse'?

fordman

Reaction score
sounds like the fender mounted starter relay is stuck (the contacts inside usually weld together) unplug the small wire on the relay and see if it still cranks.the small wire should only have power with the key turned to the start position.

OP
OP
Broncobill78

Broncobill78

Reaction score
yeah, I'm going to play around with it later today (gotta mow the grass under the damn thing :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> ) but it's freakin' me out a bit because *everything* in the ignition circuit is new with less than 5 miles on it (Neutral safety switch, ignition switch, TFI module, starter solenoid, distributor, coil, coil resistor, everything). Just got the spark issue fix last week and now it's doing this on top of a new no-fuel problem. All I can say is that I'm glad it isn't MY truck :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> (even though it's decorating my lawn)

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23