78 bronco Factory CB Radio

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Not Now

Reaction score
Need help installing a factory CB radio. I removed this out of another 78 bronco and someone had beat me to the harness under the dash. I had this unit checked out and the tech. could only power it up from somewhere in the receiver box, and he said it worked fine. One problem he said though, when he tried the four wires that you see in the picks that hook up somewhere under the dash, none of them would apply power to the receiver, and I don't know what goes where, is there more pieces to this harness than I have. The wires are light/blue with brown or gold strip (hard to see) and dark blue with green strip and yellow with black strip and lime/green with brown strip. Model of Motorola C5FD8800 DATA CB 1134 FORD. Not many people around here that can help me with this CB. Any help wound be most appreciated. This the last job toward my 78 Bronco preservation.

1978 bronco CB 001.JPG

1978 bronco CB 003.JPG

OP
OP
N

Not Now

Reaction score
I just feel I'm missing another piece to this harness.

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
I'm like Rockgrabber.., no clue what you have there..??

However, maybe a different approach. I don't think Ford put factory CB's in their vehicles. A guess would be some vehicles were ordered as special use.., such as the Nat. Park Service or the like. Maybe installed at the factory but more likely at a dealer or a local two-way radio shop.

I wouldn't think this is a needed component of a detailed restoration.., but anything is possible.

Might talk to a long time Ford dealer.., or Motorola direct.

Good luck..,

B

OP
OP
N

Not Now

Reaction score
Yepper, I'm looking. I did fine out that the 78/79 trucks had these behind their seat and the Bronco's had them in the LT side rear panel behind the drivers seat. I just can't figure out how the transmitter unit get's its power. I'll keep digging. Again thanks 

Seabronc

Reaction score
Yepper, I'm looking. I did fine out that the 78/79 trucks had these behind their seat and the Bronco's had them in the LT side rear panel behind the drivers seat. I just can't figure out how the transmitter unit get's its power. I'll keep digging. Again thanks 
No power is normally run to the left rear panel except for curtesy lights.  That would not be included in the normal full feature wiring, it would have been added by the installer.  If that is the location for the CB, then they probably ran a Yellow +12V wire to that area.  If I were to put the unit there, I woulld run a fused automotive grade wire and a black ground routed to the back from the engine compartment along the same route as the curtesy and cab lights.  Use # 12 since it is a long run.   Also, use a rubber gromet where they pass through any metal.  Of course, you would also have to run the mike and speaker wires there too.

Good Luck,

:)>-

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
N

Not Now

Reaction score
[SIZE=10.5pt] Thanks for your advice. I'm thinking the power is supplied through the hand held mike, then that powers up the receiver. I'll just have to fine a bronco with one installed. I read an article last year that they put these in 78 thru 84, I believe. The mike say's Ford on it, so I'm thinking they may have. Anyway, thanks for your help. [/SIZE]

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo,  In another Forum, Million has posted much inco ont he CB Radios;

http://www.7879blueovalbronco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=285

He posted the schematic for the CB Radio, but it does not have nomenclature; can use it tot pull harness(es) from yard queens.

Read Ranger429's comments. and ask him as well as Million; both will help you.

You can use a regular CB antenna with the factory CB setup if you cannot find the OE style antenna.

The control box for the 78-79 was behind the rear cargo panel on the driver side. I would suspect that they put it in the same spot on the 80-up Bronco's as well. The wiring harness should be plug and play with the harness in your Bronco. I do not know when the last year was that they used the factory CB system

http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/632922/fullsize/dsc02424.jpg

OP
OP
N

Not Now

Reaction score
Your the Man, thanks for this info. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lana Kane