What is this wire for? I found it under the floor on the drivers side of my 78 bronco. I think the wire color is light blue. Is it for a brake sensor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
J

johnnyreb

Reaction score
One other possibility for that connector, which I totally forgot about, was the 203 case "lock"
under dash light. I remember seeing that single connector in many of my bronco's, but of all
the one's I had over the years, only 1-2 had the 203 case and they were both parts trucks.

View attachment 28446

After more digging, it seems T-18 and 435 both used the same 2 wire connector, so the back up light thing is out.
View attachment 28447
None of those transmissions look like mine. Maybe someone may have changed it. I,ll see about finding a picture and post it.

OP
OP
J

johnnyreb

Reaction score
None of those transmissions look like mine. Maybe someone may have changed it. I,ll see about finding a picture and post it.
Well I couldn,t find one,but when my niece comes in today. I,ll see about getting a couple of pictures of it.

OP
OP
J

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Yo Johnny,
A guess because my memory is shot about our former 78 w/203; this is from my MS WORD notes:
"he wire on the NP 203 goes to a simple blue light that's about the consistency of the blue light on the instrument panel for when the bright headlights are on) on the bottom dash located just to the lower right of the ash tray. Whenever you shift the NP 203 into the lo-lock or high-lock position, a small blue display will light up the word "LOCK".
Usually wire was broken off due to a passenger sitting in bench seat center position accidentally kicked it.
Well its not too long and I figured it was put in IN CASE it had the lights put on it--like a extra wire for the lights. Which mine DOES NOT HAVE. Finally I got tired of trying to run these reverse wires down and started at the back . With a BRIGHT GREEN color and ran it along the frame (As doing so. Through the rear cross member. The rubber grommet had worked out over time and caused a couple of wires to rub the plastic coating off of them. I taped them up .Got a piece of water hose.Ran the wires through it for protection. Then ran the bright green wire all the way to the switch on the side of the transmission . Then I ran a wire from the ignition switch (hot when its turned on) to the transmission . It solved the problem. I guess the original wire has a break in it,but its unhooked now and no juice to it. Thanks guys for all your help.

OP
OP
J

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Hear is the side of my 4 speed transmission. The yellow tie is to keep a hold on the sending unit wire. So it won,t fall under the truck and you won,t have to look for it. The WHITE TAPS is so when you put the top back on. You,ll be able to see the bolt holes better . Hope this helps some one. Which I have to put back on today.When the shade hits their. Sun is too hot for me to work under.

OP
OP
J

johnnyreb

Reaction score
The WHITE RING around the hole. Is to protect the metal from cutting you. I filed around it and hopefully got all the burrs and sharpe edges off of it. The hole is so it can save time .Buy not having to remove the carpet or rubber matt out ..Hope this helps someone.

OX1

Reaction score
Next you should do my patented TC lever bolt, access hole/plate............ :)

TCbolthole.jpg

OP
OP
J

johnnyreb

Reaction score
I painted the taps that holds the transmission cover WHITE so they will be easier to see .W hen putting the bolts in. I also added a YELLO TIE and wrapped it around the back-up light switch. So it wire won,t fall down inside.

Attachments

• 4speed transmission  WHITE taps and sending unit YELLOW holder.jpg
    4speed transmission WHITE taps and sending unit YELLOW holder.jpg
    213.8 KB · Views: 1
Reactions: OX1

OX1

Reaction score
Or my upper frame X-member bolt access holes.
Did you put a grease fitting on your transfer shifter?

Nope, really unneeded if you have the correct plastic bushings and they are not old and half missing.
I ran mud for almost 20 years on my 78, really had no issues, even this dirty.

DSC00941.jpg

DSC00939.jpg

DSC00938.jpg

OP
OP
J

johnnyreb

Reaction score
OP
OP
J

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Its a wonder you hadn,t. How did you wash under neither it? Run it in the river?
Chris, I saw on hear awhile ago. A guy in Maine has quite a few bronco,s their. I,ll try and find him again.They were different years too. He had about 5-6 -78-79 models and some 77 on back.

OX1

Reaction score
Its a wonder you hadn,t. How did you wash under neither it? Run it in the river?

it was UGLY!! Power washer for 3 odd days. Most of the time, I was able to go through some large lakes or water holes out in the NJ pine barrens before heading home. This was a dug out mud course done at a drag ****** just made for that weekend event, so no good place to wash off.

NotaVegetarian

Reaction score
it was UGLY!! Power washer for 3 odd days. Most of the time, I was able to go through some large lakes or water holes out in the NJ pine barrens before heading home. This was a dug out mud course done at a drag ****** just made for that weekend event, so no good place to wash off.
I have stuck a sprinkler underneath my bronco and let it run all night to loosen mud up. On one engine swap, blasted all the mud from the frame in the engine bay area and found a wrench encased in the mud.

OP
OP
J

johnnyreb

Reaction score
I'd like to know too. Never had issue with plastic, but would check out the brass one's anyway.
The nylon in mine were shot. I think I,m gonna try and use a piece of brass PIPE. Cut the same length. Drill a couple of holes in the side. In case it needs replaced later on. The couple of holes couold come in handy. To drive them out in case they need replaced. I,d grease the shifter hole before putting the bushing in and help it shift easier.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke