5sp transmission

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Straight6

Reaction score
I have a 83' Bronco with a 300 inline six mated to a 4sp SROD trans, I would like to put a 5sp in it. So here is my question is there a 5sp trans that will swap without much modification to the exisiting driveline.

Txquadhunter

Reaction score
I have a 83' Bronco with a 300 inline six mated to a 4sp SROD trans, I would like to put a 5sp in it.  So here is my question is there a 5sp trans that will swap without much modification to the exisiting driveline.
17985[/snapback]

if ya have a hydro. clutch get a ZF5 spd from a F250 or 350 with a 300-6, 302 or 351w. If not a hydro clutch needed.

a NV from a dodge or chevy will work since there bellhousing aint mated (use yours) they'll work with manul or hydro clutch.

if ya do the swap save money now with either of the tranny's above and not the mazda 5spd in the F150's

OP
OP
S

Straight6

Reaction score
If I use a ZF or a NV what would I need to do to the rest of the driveline, t-case, driveshafts, etc... and what is envolved in putting a hydro clutch in my 83'?

BK85

Reaction score
Same question, but for a 1985 302 with a Hydro clutch and 4spd.

BK85

Txquadhunter

Reaction score
Same question, but for a 1985 302 with a Hydro clutch and 4spd.
BK85

18094[/snapback]

The ZF will swap right in, They use the same Tcase or you can use yours. Most everyone who has done the swap found there driveline works without doing any work to the shafts.

Hydro clutch just find the ZF in a 4x4 F250 or 350 with 300-6, 302 or 351w it'll bolt right in. found in 87-98 models pre-Super duty.

Best way to add a hydro clutch is to find a donner Bronco or F150 swap right in. easier then picing one together.

If you go with the NV look on Broncograveyard.com they have the swap kits there to get idea on whats needed. usually you can track dowd the addapters a tad cheaper.

The ZF or NV either way you go your getting a good strong. plus a granny 1st and OD 5th.

BK85

Reaction score
The ZF will swap right in, They use the same Tcase or you can use yours.  Most everyone who has done the swap found there driveline works without doing any work to the shafts.
Hydro clutch just find the ZF in a 4x4 F250 or 350 with 300-6, 302 or 351w it'll bolt right in. found in 87-98 models pre-Super duty.

Best way to add a hydro clutch is to find a donner Bronco or F150 swap right in. easier then picing one together.

If you go with the NV look on Broncograveyard.com they have the swap kits there to get idea on whats needed.  usually you can track dowd the addapters a tad cheaper. 

The ZF or NV either way you go your getting a good strong. plus a granny 1st and OD 5th.

18135[/snapback]

When you say get a Hydro clutch from 87/98. do you mean that my 85 Hydro won't work. Or did you mean that I could get the 'ZF' from those years?

BK85

OP
OP
S

Straight6

Reaction score
A friend of mine has a 88" Bronco w/302 and 5sp manual trans, what type of tranmission is this and how well will standup to abuse such as mudding and climbing. He has only had the Bronco for about three months and right after he bought it he put 31" tires and a 6" lift on it.

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
It's probably the MAzda 5-sp (M5OD) in the '88 Bronco, just look for the ID tag on the driver's side of the tranny housing. This model tends to be problematic, just depends on the driver's habits.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
david@holycitytransportat