4x4 where to start? '88 push-button clicking under glove box

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

88broncofull

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I am reaching out for help because I am snowed in here in nashville and pretty upset about my 88 bronco not going into 4 wheel drive. I've been waiting for occasions such as this and it's a real let downnot to be out tromping in the snow.

Anyways, I still love it and want to get it working properly but don't know where to start.

Here is what i've got '88 full size eddie bauer edition with about 110k miles on it. It's push-button 4x4 (4x4) & (low)

When I first got the truck last year, it had been sitting for a couple years and had a few bugs such as window motors and little things like that. The auto-locking hubs were making a little noise like a grinding 1st few times I engaged them, but the 4x4 always worked. After some use the noises went away.

I have not tried to engage the 4x4 in six months until Friday I hit the 4x4 butotn while driving home in a blizzard and to my surprise it just went click click click click click click and then stopped. No light came on on the 4x4 button. So I pulled into a parking lot and tried doing it while stopped. Then I tried backing up for a bit and hitting the button. I got nothing. So I tried (Low) Nothing.

No lights were coming on so I figured maybe it was in 4 wheel drive but the lights were not on.

Where do I begin? Thanks for helping

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
OP
OP
88broncofull

88broncofull

Reaction score
Update. 1st thing before trying any troubleshooting this morning, Pushed 4x4 button, nothing. A click and dead. Maybe two clicks nothing.

I got under there with a hammer and tapped on the case (i think) haha it was the large metal case positioned between the front and rear drive shafts in middle of truck. There is an enclosed tube or cylinder that was about 3" diameter and 8" long facing the rear of the vehicle on this case that I was guessing to be motor and I tapped on that.

Anyways... pushed the 4x4 button and it clicked like crazy this time but didn't go in. Was able to back out of the driveway into the road and click click click BOOM 4x4 engaged with dash light indicator now on.

Thanks for the tip, I never would have thought to get under there with a hammer first thing.

Sweet !!! I am off to tromp some snow now.

Thank you !!!

Last edited by a moderator:

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yw!

Glad to help

When it gets warmer out, look thru those Links and thing about cleaning/repairing the motor/conns..etc.. I have more Repair, etc LINK in my site;

@ http://www.broncolinks.com/index.php?index=70

such as 1356 Electric Shift Motor Repairs

1356 Electric Shift Motor Troubleshooting & Repair (travel stops)

Source: by Richard C (Bigric, Money Pit) at SuperMotors.net http://www.supermotors.net/clubs/superford/vehicles/registry/4584/21843

1356 Electric Shift Motor Typical Failures & Prevention; "...Most units fail because of water or mud intrusion. Carefully inspect motor boot or protective coverings. Be sure connector seals can keep water and debris out. Check wiring harness and connector. Replace or repair wiring as necessary. After installation, periodically select 4-wheel drive mode to ensure operation when needed..."

Source: by CARDONE® cardone.com 1356 Electric Shift Motor Typical Failures & Prevention; "...Most units fail because of water or mud intrusion. Carefully inspect motor boot or protective coverings. Be sure connector seals can keep water and debris out. Check wiring harness and connector. Replace or repair wiring as necessary. After installation, periodically select 4-wheel drive mode to ensure operation when needed..."

Source: by CARDONE® cardone.com

1356 Electric Shift Operational Test; "... (engine off, hubs disengaged), crawl under the truck with the transfer case in 2HI, you should be able to grab the front drive shaft and turn it by hand. Also with the hubs disengaged you should see the front axles turning freely. Now engage the hubs and you should not be able to turn the drive shaft by hand. Jack the front wheels off the ground with the hubs engaged, turn the drive shaft by hand, the wheels should turn. The 4x4 light should not be on in 2HI, when in 4LOW you may have a low range light on, (not all trucks have that light) at least mine doesn't..."

Source: by Seabronc (Rosie, Fred W) at Ford Bronco Zone Forums 1356 Electric Shift Operational Test; "... (engine off, hubs disengaged), crawl under the truck with the transfer case in 2HI, you should be able to grab the front drive shaft and turn it by hand. Also with the hubs disengaged you should see the front axles turning freely. Now engage the hubs and you should not be able to turn the drive shaft by hand. Jack the front wheels off the ground with the hubs engaged, turn the drive shaft by hand, the wheels should turn. The 4x4 light should not be on in 2HI, when in 4LOW you may have a low range light on, (not all trucks have that light) at least mine doesn't..."

Source: by Seabronc (Rosie, Fred W) at Ford Bronco Zone Forums

etc!

GL!

89MudSlinger

Reaction score
I just replaced the shift motor in my 89 Bronco today. If you need to replace it down the road, it is very easy. It took me around 30 minutes and that was with breaks to warm up my hands since it is freezing cold and snowing. I am going to take apart the original shift motor this summer to see if it is in good enough shape to rebuild, but it looks pretty rough from the outside. Thanks for the links miesk5.

This might be a stupid question, but what is the best way to shift into 4 wheel drive with a push button shifter and automatic hubs without damaging anything?

All the 4x4s I drove had manual shifters and manual locking hubs. I just bought the Bronco and there is no owners manual (I am looking into buying one). I heard it has to be moving for 4H but not moving for 4L, and maybe even in neutral for 4L. I've been playing around and seeing when it engages, but I want to make sure I am doing it correctly.

Thanks!

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member