4x4 Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

broncobust

Reaction score
I just bought a 83 for bronco 4x4 full size and the 4x4 doesnt work the passenger side drive shaft if thats what you call it that goes to the wheel turns but the driver side does not.Could this just be a problem of replacing hubs or something else?

click tracy

Reaction score
Jack up the front so both wheels are clear. Check if both wheels turn freely. If a brake caliper is binding and you have an 'open' diff, then when you turn the drive shaft by hand (hubs engaged) the axles will display the symtoms you describe.

If both wheels turn freely then turn one (hubs engaged, 4wd engaged) and note the result at the other one. An open diff will make the other wheel turn in the opposite direction and a LSD will make it very difficult to turn the wheel at all. Anything else means you have diff problems. If the hubs were the problem you would still see both axles turning. Hope this helps.

Cheers :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Seabronc

Reaction score
With a truck that old, I'd take a look at the U-joints. It is very possible that you have a fdrozen one or two ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> . With the transfer case in neutral or two wheel, you should be able to turn the drive shaft by hand and see both axles turn.

I replaced both passenger outger axle and driver side axle this year, one at a time. Should have done them both at the same time.

Good luck, :)>-

Seabronc

Reaction score
PS while you are at it, why not do the wheel bearings, dust shields, rotors, brake pads, seals, and last but not least replace the hubs with Warn Premium.

That's about $700.00 in materials from Jeff's Bronco Graveyard, but well worth it.

:)>-

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gryph