4x4 Error Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aross88

Reaction score
New member here. I have a 94 EB with auto locking electronic 4x4. Like many other people here, 4x4 randomly stopped working. I read through many posts here and they're helping but I have a few issues I can't seem to find.

The shift motor works and will engage 4 Hi. 4 lo just clicks. The weird part is with the shift module under the kick plate. If I do the the self test, sometimes it blinks meaning no errors and sometimes it stays on for 30 secs. However, when i shut the truck off and turn it back on, the module doesn't work and therefore no 4x4. If I unplug the module and hit the test button, 4x4 works. I bought a "new" module and the same issue only this one blinks with no errors. But I still have to reset it to engage 4x4. The only thing I haven't replaced on the 4x4 line or tested is the speed sensor.

Any thoughts?

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo
Welcome!
See 1356 Electric Shift Speed Sensor Wiring Diagram & TESTING"...The speed sensor is important because the vehicle must be stopped for a shift into or out of 4L. The shift module won't make the shift if the vehicle is moving. speed sensor should show 225-275 ohms with the vehicle stopped. Check at the module connection..." Miesk5 Note Ford Part Number is 7f293 speed sensor
Source: by Dustin S @ http://web.archive.org/web/20100923...rford.org/documents/electric1356/elec1356.htm

1994 Bronco Dealer Brochure by Ford via Dezo's Garage @ https://www.xr793.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/1994-Ford-Bronco.pdf

1994 Bronco Brochure, Partial; Cover & Page 3; plus pics of EDDIE BAUER model accessories.
by Ford via BigRob at 1994 Ford Bronco Bronco Accessories pictures, videos, and sounds | SuperMotors.net

➡ASAP, find out if speed control recall work, if equipped was completed @ Recalls Look-up by VIN (Vehicle Identification Number); or @ Welcome to Ford Owner | Official Ford Owner Site; or ... have VIN ready. While there, see most Ford dealer maintenance/repairs done @ any dealership nation-wide.
"Summary: ON CERTAIN PICKUP TRUCKS, PASSENGER VEHICLES, SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES, AND MOTOR HOMES CHASSIS, THE SPEED CONTROL DEACTIVATION SWITCH MAY, UNDER CERTAIN CONDITIONS, LEAK INTERNALLY AND THEN OVERHEAT, SMOKE, OR BURN. THIS COULD RESULT IN AN UNDERHOOD FIRE."
See this guide by jowens1126 to confirm recall status @ 93 & 94-96 Cruise Control Recalls Repair
Note that the 93 recall is different than 94-96.
Al

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sgariffo