351M to 400

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Red Green Jr

Reaction score
I am wanting to convert my 351M to a 400. The 351M was stilled bored out to 400 but they put in a shorter throw camshaft and taller pistons to make it a 351, so in theory I would only need to put in 400 pistons and a 400 canshaft. Just wondering if there would be anything else I would need to swap out (ie. rocker arms, push rods, etc.) Also, where is the best place to get engine parts, I have tried broncograveyard, jcwhitney, and LMCTruck and they dont have any. thanks

J&SBroncolvrs

Reaction score
You need a 400 CRANKshaft and 400 pistons. ALso a 400 harmonic blalncer would be nice. 351 was not bored out to a 400, it started as a 400 and was changed to a 351 by changing the crank and pistons. Rocker arms, pushrods, camshaft, etc. are all the same.

OP
OP
Red Green Jr

Red Green Jr

Reaction score
I would think that the crankshaft would be the same because the 351M pistons are taller but they still move the same distance. The camshaft would have a shorter throw to open the valves less, letting in less fuel for the 351M than the 400.

BLADE262US

Reaction score
The cams are the same , the Bore is the same its the length of stroke on the crank and the length of rod for the pistons and the placement of the wrist pin hole in the piston . :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

OP
OP
Red Green Jr

Red Green Jr

Reaction score
Alright, Ill go with that. What's the wrist pin hole? Would a 400 piston have the correct placement?

BLADE262US

Reaction score
If you are trying to make a 351 M into a 400 you need the crank , rods , pistons , from a 400 . The wrist pin hole is the hole in the piston where the wrist pin goes in and connects the rod to the piston :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Leadsled

Reaction score
What's the wrist pin hole?

???? Bud you might want to have someone that has more knowledge build this thing. With all of the precise tolerances and other things involved, if you dont get this stuff right it wont run very long if you do get it to run. This is in no way a "put down", just some advice so you can save some money and time in the long run.

OP
OP
Red Green Jr

Red Green Jr

Reaction score
lol, thanks for the concern but the main reason I want to do this conversion is so I can really get into the engine and learn how to do all this stuff myself. Lucky for me this is about the easiest upgrade out there.

J&SBroncolvrs

Reaction score
http://www.tmeyerinc.com/

Check this out, he specializes in the Ford 400. Has EVERYTHING you need to do the job, even some nice high compression pistons that work with stock heads. E-mail Tim or phone him even, he will help you out with parts and advice.

Good luck!

Leadsled

Reaction score
lol, thanks for the concern but the main reason I want to do this conversion is so I can really get into the engine and learn how to do all this stuff myself. Lucky for me this is about the easiest upgrade out there.

I dont blame you for learning but have someone with a great knowledge about internal workings etc. to watch over you and help you out to save yourself some frustration. **** luck with your project and these people on here are very good for the most part so ask a lot of questions.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23