351 Windsor Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

"V8"BII

Reaction score
I have a 95' 351W out of an f-350 crewcab that Im putting in my 90' BII. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

(1) Has anyone fit headers in a BII with a 351W in it? (preferably without cutting frame) ^_^ /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

If so what year/make ect.

wondering if the 96' Explorer shorty headers will fit mounted upside down so they exit in front then run the pipes down and back providing theres enough room. :blush:

Has anyone tride this? mabe with a different header?

(2) what about radiators (well useing surpertine belt system) anyone found a radiator from another vehicle that will work. (without alot of hacking in the front end!)

I thought mabe one from a small turbo charged domestic. I think they are 3 core, but finding a brass one (so filler cap can be extended and hose fitting re- positioned) might be hard. :D/

BLADE262US

Reaction score
I put a 351W in mine and it took alot of shoe horning but it was alot of fun to drive . I used the advance adapter motor mounts and there headers that they call slick fit headers but they are honestly junk and way not worth the $350 that they get for them . You will have to grind a bit on the frame theres no way around it as for going forward with the headers maybe the passenger side but no way on the drivers side you have the steering shaft there and the oil filter adapter . The slick fit headers will get it in there but dont expect alot of performance from them there very restrictive . I used an explorer radiator with an electric fan but again you have to cut the front theres just not enough room . I have seen one with a 460 in it before but there is nothing left for ineer fenders and the hood and fenders tipped forward when opened . I have taken mine out and replaced it with a built 5.0 and would suggest you do the same . Its a cool swap but for reality reasons you will never keep it cool especially if you use it hard its just too big a motor packed in too small a hole . I am not a 302 fan thats why I did the swap myself but it just fits better and given the weight of the vehicle its more than enough motor for it also james duff headers fit very nice and are way worth the money I think they were half of the advance adapters junk. A 3 inch body lift is a must and you have to cut the heater box for valve cover clearance also if you can find a heater box that didnt have air they are skinnier . Also if you havent changed the 7.5 out yet you will it just plain out will not hold up to the torque of a V8 . I used an explorer rear its a 31 spline 8.8 same as the half ton trucks just narrower . Hope that helps . :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

OP
OP
V

"V8"BII

Reaction score
I put a 351W in mine and it took alot of shoe horning but it was alot of fun to drive . I used the advance adapter motor mounts and there headers that they call slick fit headers but they are honestly junk and way not worth the $350 that they get for them . You will have to grind a bit on the frame theres no way around it as for going forward with the headers maybe the passenger side but no way on the drivers side you have the steering shaft there and the oil filter adapter . The slick fit headers will get it in there but dont expect alot of performance from them there very restrictive . I used an explorer radiator with an electric fan but again you have to cut the front theres just not enough room . I have seen one with a 460 in it before but there is nothing left for ineer fenders and the hood and fenders tipped forward when opened . I have taken mine out and replaced it with a built 5.0 and would suggest you do the same . Its a cool swap but for reality reasons you will never keep it cool especially if you use it hard its just too big a motor packed in too small a hole . I am not a 302 fan thats why I did the swap myself but it just fits better and given the weight of the vehicle its more than enough motor for it also james duff headers fit very nice and are way worth the money I think they were half of the advance adapters junk. A 3 inch body lift is a must and you have to cut the heater box for valve cover clearance also if you can find a heater box that didnt have air they are skinnier . Also if you havent changed the 7.5 out yet you will it just plain out will not hold up to the torque of  a V8 . I used an explorer rear its a 31 spline 8.8 same as the half ton trucks just narrower . Hope that helps .  :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
18882[/snapback]

Thanx for the info BLADE262US.

I have Black Diamond HD front springs which lifted the front 2", then used a mix of explorer and my old BII springs in the rear to even out the hight.

It gave me plenty of room for 31x11.50 MTX's, but I really want to run 37"BFG mud or rock craller, hence the 351W for more torque and I here they provide a little better gas milelage with an AOD being the torque is at a lower RPM.

I wheel all through the mountians and just getting there is a pritty good hall sometimes, so better gas milege is always a good thing.

I have a rare 5 stud DANA 60 out of a 76 f 100 that's only 60" long that I'm going to use, as a bonus it's possi with 410's, but Ill eventualy put a locker in, mabe find someone that will trade my complete Newer C clip Detroit locked pricision geared 7.5 rear Axle for just a Dana 60 Detroit locker.

I think the 7.5 in the bronco was 57" or 58" back plate to back plate.

I'm not a fan of lots of lift on a BII so I plan working arround the much larger tire size with the current lift by way of trimming, tubbing, flairing, ect. and add larger bump stops to limit up travel.

As far as engine clearance to firewall, besides lowering th engine as much as posible with out the front diff hitting the oilpan, I'll probably grit my teeth and gracefully hammer back the firewall, witch brings me to another mod.

I want to modify the stock (true) Dana 35 front axle for more wheel travel like the zimmeran couple on therangerstation.com and do the dana 44 front outer axle/knuckle mod also at therangerstation.com. This will give me the 5 stud patturn to match the back.

For cooling it sounds like I'll have to trim and modify a larg rad or go custom from the local shop but........Theres always a way !

About the Duff headers, did you try them on the 351W or just the 302?

:)>-

BLADE262US

Reaction score
I just tried them on the 302 decided the 351W just wasnt goona work for many reasons . Id still suggest that you find an older 302 early 70,s that still had the heavy crank in them I think its 79 and newer have the light crank . The heavy crank is kinda the flywheel theory once you get that mass moving its going to take a bit to stop it If I were to build a 302 for a bronco 2 or ranger for that matter I would use an early 70,s block and crank and a set of heads from an 86 5.0 ** and probably a weiand stealth intake and a com cams 268H grind with the duff headers and msd ignition and one of those edelbrock AVS carbs and I think youd be very happy . :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />