351M to 460 swap problems....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jsferguson71

Reaction score
I have ran into 2 problems putting a 460 out of a 76 LTD into my 79 Bronco. 1st problem is the power steering pump line wont fit without hitting the steering gear box. Is there a smaller pump or a pump that has the high pressure line exiting at another location on the pump? Or any other ways to make this pump work.

2nd problem is the passenger side exhaust manifold...with the exhaust manifold that is on the engine, I will have to notch the frame to put exhaust pipe on. I had rather not do that. I know that there is some style of headers that would work, but i have never had a set of headers that doesnt leak! Any ideas?

Thank you in advance!!

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
We always had to put headers on in order to clear the frame.

Can't remember the power steering hose issue, can it just be bent out of the way?

Picture would help.

OX1

Reaction score
Exhaust Manifolds -- Again, if you have a E-Series van or a F-Series pickup 460 engine, then your manifolds will fit in the 78-79 Bronco. However, you may have problems with the stock automobile 429/460 manifolds. Some of them will work, some of them wont. If the pair you have will not fit, then you can either buy a pair of used truck & van manifolds from a salvage yard or purchase new 78-79 Bronco 429/460 Bronco exhaust headers from ****** Headers and L&L products. The ****** headers retail for around $120.00 and the L&L headers, depending on the type of header (inside or outside of fender), the type of plating, and where you purchase them from can retail for up to $450.00.

Zeus78

Reaction score
I ended up going to a salvage yard snd buying a few Saginaw pumps (canned ham). I found a couple that had the right fittings, it took a while, but I think it fits in there ratger easily and it is soooo much better than that whiney cordone pump.
Got my motor mounts and headers from L&L products. Never had a problem with any if those components, everything fits well.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo jsferguson71,
A Superior power steering pump was used by Rick Russell in his swap @ http://web.archive.org/web/20040814221524/http://www3.sk.sympatico.ca:80/rrussell/swap.html
Rick wrote, "I am doing a swap from a 1978 400 motor to a EFI 460 from an 88 E350 van."

"CONVERSION ON 78-79 BRONCO'S
By Norm Tischer/Anthony Johnson
  1. If the Bronco has no lift, you will need a rear sump oil pan to ensure it will clear the front differential. If you have 6" lift, front sump pan will be no problem. 4" lift is OK for street use only. Ford Motorsports makes an oil pan for the FOX bodied cars that makes a nice Bronco pan. Remember the oil pump pickup has to match the pan so it can be involved if not researched correctly!
  2. You will need a set of L&L motor mounts (lifetime warranty). The frame stand-offs sometimes require a little "working" to get installed, but you only have to do this once.
  3. The exhaust is a tight squeeze on the passenger side with car type manifold. If you use the L&L mounts the early model car manifolds will not fit! The later models...(after 74) will work but are very close to the frame.
    The solution is a set of manifolds from a 460 powered van...these fit well and clear everything. The 460 pickup stuff will also work as long as the donor vehicle is pre 80. L&L headers that are of the fender well design fit OK, but your limited in tire to header clearance to nothing bigger than 32's! L&L does also make an in-chassis header. ****** also makes an in-chassis header for the swap...but it must be used with their frame pads/mounts ect....about $650 for the kit!
    If a person wants fender well headers the best by far are the Headman Hustler series for this swap....They aren't cheap but fit perfectly with no interference anywhere! Also Stans headers makes an in-chassis TRI Y design header. They seem well made and fit well but are not suited to a performance engine that needs to breath really well. They have a small primary pipe diameter and a small collector also.
  4. Cooling system may need to be upgraded, depending on the climate and stock radiator. Fan shroud is different, but can be swapped over from M-blocks. There are at least 4 different radiators for 78-79, F series trucks.

1. 3 core, non AC
    2. 3 core AC (wider than non-AC, uses different radiator support also)
    3. 4 core, AC (not factory, same dimensions as 3 core AC)
    4. Factory big block radiator, much deeper/taller than any of the other 3, very expensive.

5. PS pump may hit power steering gearbox. The factory M bracket will not work. You can use a early 73 or earlier full-size car pump and bracket! All that's required here is the hose be redone to match the pump! But if this route is chosen you will need the pulley for the water pump and alternator and air (if so equipped) because they use a wider belt than the 75 and latter stuff! Actually all the brackets and pulleys from this vintage car will bolt right in!
    The other (and better) option is to use the early car brackets for the alternator and air contioning and getting a Saginaw pump and bracket from a van. This bolts on with room to spare and works with the rest of the car stuff perfectly, plus you get a better pump in the process! But if you do this....you will need to get the van water pump and crank pulleys because of the belt width problem.
  6. Manual transmission trucks need different flywheel. Can use man transmission flywheel from a 390 FE block, but engine must be internally balanced.
  7. All 78-79 Broncos have transmissions with big block bell housings, making transmission bolt up "​
  8. From​
  9. https://www.off-road.com › converti...
    Converting a Bronco to Big Block Power - Off-Road.com

Big body broncos

Reaction score
I have ran into 2 problems putting a 460 out of a 76 LTD into my 79 Bronco. 1st problem is the power steering pump line wont fit without hitting the steering gear box. Is there a smaller pump or a pump that has the high pressure line exiting at another location on the pump? Or any other ways to make this pump work.

2nd problem is the passenger side exhaust manifold...with the exhaust manifold that is on the engine, I will have to notch the frame to put exhaust pipe on. I had rather not do that. I know that there is some style of headers that would work, but i have never had a set of headers that doesnt leak! Any ideas?

Thank you in advance!!
L n l headers are beefy but mounting holes are offset , and look as though they are built to leak! But to my amazement , haven’t leaked yet! As far as ps pump, Saginaw is the ticket , but if you Are using the mounting brackets from EFI style motor you need to trim the bracket for the power steering pump cleanly , and it won’t break, You will also have to put spacers in front of the pump before you mount it And drill your own mounting holes in the existing bracket ! This is of course if you’re using a serpentine belt as I did ! The LNL headers also had to be reworked because they wouldn’t fit as they’re supposed to I had to have the collector cut off and rerouted to work on my bronco !

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
L n l headers are beefy but mounting holes are offset , and look as though they are built to leak! But to my amazement , haven’t leaked yet! As far as ps pump, Saginaw is the ticket , but if you Are using the mounting brackets from EFI style motor you need to trim the bracket for the power steering pump cleanly , and it won’t break, You will also have to put spacers in front of the pump before you mount it And drill your own mounting holes in the existing bracket ! This is of course if you’re using a serpentine belt as I did ! The LNL headers also had to be reworked because they wouldn’t fit as they’re supposed to I had to have the collector cut off and rerouted to work on my bronco !
Yo Big body broncos,
Welcome and thanks for participating!
Introduce yourself and your Bronco in Intro section.

Intr

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke