2nd Gen and 3rd Gen compatibility of parts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Qbronco

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a 79 Bronco and find parts for 80-96 all the time. Is there a list of parts that will work on the 2nd gen from these. I am curious about Coil springs, Shocks, Lift Kits. Seats or just about anything else that might bolt on properly without issues. Additionally, how much different is the shell/ top? I was looking for a soft top and can find 3rd gen setups, but no 2nd gen. Not sure if it would be reasonably close with some modification. Thanks for your help.
Obviously I will keep my eyes out for 2nd gen parts first, but just curious what might fit.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a 79 Bronco and find parts for 80-96 all the time. Is there a list of parts that will work on the 2nd gen from these. I am curious about Coil springs, Shocks, Lift Kits. Seats or just about anything else that might bolt on properly without issues. Additionally, how much different is the shell/ top? I was looking for a soft top and can find 3rd gen setups, but no 2nd gen. Not sure if it would be reasonably close with some modification. Thanks for your help.
Obviously I will keep my eyes out for 2nd gen parts first, but just curious what might fit.
I just rn onto this-put in your address bar---vintage pickup parts and hit enter-----scroll down to-VINTAGEPICK UP TRUCK AND ANTIQUE AND CLASSIC PARTS-------Their is alot of companys you can contact and I am sure ALL OF US can find what we are looking for--different years and makes of cars and different size trucks. Good luck.

OP
OP
Q

Qbronco

Reaction score
Sorry for the confusion. Ignore the post. I was merely trying to see if the folks here new what might be different on 3rd gen vs second gen 78 79 since almost all parts shops make 80 the cut off.

L\Bronco

Reaction score
Hi Q
2nd and 3rd gen Broncos are very different beasts for sure. That being said, there are quite a few things that will cross over with minor mods. Suspension however is very different as that was the change over from solid axle to the swing axle design. Most parts from a 73-79 pickup are direct fit though.
Its pretty hard to come up with a cross reference list. the best you could do is ask about specifics and you will likely not be disappointed. (Lots of good help here)
The caps are really close. The windows are different, but I'm not sure about the mounting. I have a 79 and an 85, If I get a chance Ill see if the 85 cap fits the 79 and let you know.
My guess is its close enough that you could use the third gen soft top with minor mods.
Hope that helps.
Cheers

paul rondelli

Reaction score
As stated above..... you can make anything work with modifications.... but then again .... that also goes for Chevy/Dodge/ and jeep parts.

To keep it simple most just look for direct bolt on's. That is why they are grouped accordingly.

The 1978 and 1979 Broncos are unique beasts. That is what makes them valuable.... and also a pain to find parts for.

I would try and stick with only Ford makes of the exact same year ... remember they rolled off the production line in the same year as F150 and F250 ... Ford is not stupid .. the engineers try and use the same parts between models to cut costs.

When the engineers redesign generations ... they are not looking for compatibility between generations. They are focused on new car production .... but with that being said 1980 through 1996 didn't change all that much for the Broncos or F150's.

Last edited:

johnnyreb

Reaction score
I did hear the tailgate was the same from 78-89---though not certain nor have I tried them.

Cat skinner

Reaction score
Seen a 90s tail gate on a 78 sitting in front of a restaurant.
Could not see with it closed if modified but from the outside it actually fit pretty well.
Made me look twice for sure...

OP
OP
Q

Qbronco

Reaction score
Hey L\bronco, I just wanted to see if you happened to look and see if then 3rd gen tops would fit on a 2nd gen? I am still looking for a top, but I am only seeing 3rd gen tops on CL and Facebook

L\Bronco

Reaction score
Sorry, woring on rebuilding the 6.2 in my harley f150. Taking up all of my time now, Ill get out there asap.
947503A9-FA16-4736-9446-4BC7A58D5C2E.jpegEF449168-96E7-49F0-85AE-F71643DBF67E.jpeg07EDF224-D333-4131-A398-5EB30847B0C7.jpeg

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Hey L\bronco, I just wanted to see if you happened to look and see if then 3rd gen tops would fit on a 2nd gen? I am still looking for a top, but I am only seeing 3rd gen tops on CL and Facebook
If you live in or near Webster County,W.Va . I know their is one for sale.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke