2hot!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chukster53

Reaction score
:( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> A couple of years back I purchased a '78 Bronco that had had an engine swap back numerous years ago to a '78 Lincoln 460 cu in. engine. I have had constant problems over the years keeping it running at a normal temp. I recently had this engine rebuilt and am still having cooling problems. here is what I do know. I can spray the radiator and it will cool down to normal which tells me the water pump is ok; I can run the truck at 55 mph and on a 70 deg. day it will run at 200-210. A mechanic friend says the shroud should have 1/3 of the blade exposed on the engine side shroud which it does, however, i am thinking this may be where the problem lies. i do have an oversized radiator which has been cleaned when the rebuild was performed. What are my chances of replacing this old shroud with a newer one?(finding a proper fit)

Also, this Bronco does not have any sway bars and it rocks and sways sommething awful in the woods and offroad. Any ideas on this?

Thanks...chukster53

Txquadhunter

Reaction score
when you say oversized how big are you talking 3 or 4 core rad.? you'll need a 4 core to keep that beast cool. also it maybe your fan. if the blades have been flatted out at some point or a weak flex fan won't allow good air flow. you could ditch the stock fan and shroud for a good set of elc. fans w/shrouds. finding a good shroud for the 73-79 styles ain't a easy task. I've read some where that people where buying them thru Ford still. but having fitment trouble with them.. also what temp. stat are you using?

amcabbott

Reaction score
replace the fan clutch they are only good for about 70,000 miles on a ford us a thermal unit not a centrivical unit. the thermal unit will cool much better and gives you that jet engine sound when you first start it up.thats how you can tell its working.

OP
OP
C

chukster53

Reaction score
thanks for the input..I am not sure how many cores 3 or 4..how do I count them?

Also, at this moment I am running a 165 deg therm. and she still runs 200 at 55mph. would an after market ele.fan and shroud work and how would I know which one to buy or are they generic?

Sorny

Reaction score
You could try putting a different thermostat in there or just not running one at all. We had a heat problem with my friends 74 Vega was a 350, so he took out the thermostat for the summer and it ran nice and cool. Taking out the thermostat should only be done if nothing else works.

highboy73

FORDing thru life
Reaction score
to find out the core take off the cap look inside and count the rows across,do not ever take and leave out a thermostat,you cooling system in pressurized and it will more than likely **** a hose shut,plus if your oil doesn't reach the proper temp.it's just as bad as running hot.

do you have a good radiator cap?what pressure rating?i hate to say this but is your fan on right?if you buy a fan buy a pusher and mount it in front of the radiator,try a tranny cooler,maybe an oilcooler.do you have a big bumper or anything blocking the flow of air?is you timing right?not by ear either.

i've had me a few 460's in 73's to 79's and i've never had a cooling problem unless i was off mudding in some field somewhere.let me know how it all works out

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23