1996 Bronco

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jzeigle

Reaction score
I am removing the hub and rotor on my daughter's 1996 Bronco w/ Model 44 front axle w/ automatic locking hubs. I cannot remove the inner locknut. It rotates freely for a few turns and then stops. What is happening? Is there something that prevents it from coming all the way off?

Pony-boy

That's not a dent, It's a gift from the t
Reaction score
Did you take out the lock washer?

That's the only thing that I can think of.

Seabronc

Reaction score
Ditto on Pony Boy's comment. When you put them back on, torque the inner spindle nut to 50 ft. lb. working the wheel a little to make sure the bearings seat properly. Then back off slightly and place lock washer on, making sure that the hole in the washer goes over the small *** on the nut. Then torque the outer spindle nut to 150 ft. lb.

Good luck,

:)>-

OP
OP
J

jzeigle

Reaction score
I have removed the outer locknut and the lockwasher (the one with the little holes around the circumference). I have inspected the threads that I can see with a dental mirror and while I can not see any cross threads that does not mean that there none covered by the locknut.

I guess my next question should be - What do I do next? Understanding that I may have to destroy something to get it off. Do I start dissasembling the left fron suspension?

Seabronc

Reaction score
If that nut is cross threaded, you will need a new spindle and a new set of nuts and washer. Sounds like the lock washer was not installed right and boogered up the threads or there is dirt in the threds. If you are using a spindle nut socket, and it is not comming off, something is definately screwed up. Those nuts should hand spin on or off once loosened.

Unfortunately, if it is messed up, you will still have to get it off and change the spindle. Jeff's Bronco Graveyard carries the parts.

Good luck,

:)>-

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gryph