Cruise stopped working 1996

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hrgkmg

Reaction score
I have a 1996 bronco 5.8 and the cruise control has been giving me problems for a while but it’s totally stopped now. I have checked the fuse #13 it’s fine. Also replaced the brake controller which was a cheap guess but it’s still not functioning. The tail lights are all replaced with oem bulbs and burning brightly. Any thoughts would be welcome. I am the original owner and love my ride, it was acting up the last few years and you would have to hit the activate button multiple times to get it engaged but generally worked fine, now I get nothing. Wondering if the steering wheel controls go bad on these or if it’s something else.

Thanks, Ken

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome.

It certainly could be steering wheel controls being dirty. I think there was a recal for the weitch on the master cylinder. That would affect cruise, has that been done?

Is your speedometer stable? Or does it wiggle around a bunch while driving?

OP
OP
H

Hrgkmg

Reaction score
Master cylinder unit has been replaced. Speedometer functions normally. Turn signal lever works normally including window washer function. Horn operates normally.

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
What about brake lights? Including your 3rd. A crossed or broke filiment can back feed the electrical circuit.

Otherwise pull the horn cover and maybe try to clean the contact on the buttons.

OP
OP
H

Hrgkmg

Reaction score
Brake lights are all good I have had issues with them before. Including the third light only change I have made is on the backup lights I have changed them to LED. I assumed the backup lights are a different circuit.

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
Yep backup lights are not related. Probably just a bad or dirty button contact. Maybe even a clockspring issue.

Motech

Reaction score
Here are factory diagrams for your cruise control:

1648113425520.png

1648113491008.png

Some diagnostic input:

VISUAL INSPECTION
Visual inspection is an important part of diagnosis. The inspection is performed to locate obvious problems. During the visual inspection, check items for abnormal condition. Inspect for bare, broken or disconnected wires. Inspect the servo throttle actuator function and free operation of throttle linkage.

If the amber check anti-lock brake indicator remains lit when the ignition switch is in the Run position, service the rear anti-lock brakes before continuing the speed control diagnosis.

1648113858635.png

1648113672686.png

Test A: Speed Control Inoperative.

1648113781002.png

1648113796616.png

1648113809104.png

Good luck.

Motech

Reaction score
PS:
These Ford truck cruise control servos work extra hard over their lifespan because of the excess tension on the throttle return spring built onto the cable. You may notice the cruise control cuts out and quits when you're cruising along and it has to accelerate up a hill. It just can't overcome that tension anymore.

Don't know if this will help your situation at all, but over the years, I have cured many of those cruise failures on acceleration by cutting about an inch out of that spring to reduce throttle return strength. Not only does it help restore a struggling cruise control servo, but it's also a much nicer driving experience with a lighter accelerator panel. Makes a Ford feel like a Chevy.

OP
OP
H

Hrgkmg

Reaction score
Oh this is very helpful! Thanks so much I will get into it this weekend.

sinker4

Reaction score
I have a 1996 bronco 5.8 and the cruise control has been giving me problems for a while but it’s totally stopped now. I have checked the fuse #13 it’s fine. Also replaced the brake controller which was a cheap guess but it’s still not functioning. The tail lights are all replaced with oem bulbs and burning brightly. Any thoughts would be welcome. I am the original owner and love my ride, it was acting up the last few years and you would have to hit the activate button multiple times to get it engaged but generally worked fine, now I get nothing. Wondering if the steering wheel controls go bad on these or if it’s something else.

Thanks, Ken
If you installed LED break light It will stop the cruise from working. The cruise control works off the resistance in the break light circuit

richard729

Reaction score
I went through the same problem that you are having in my,96 Bronco, Eddie Bauer. After replacing my brake lights bulbs with the LED style my cruise control did not work. After searching, worrying, a couple of sleepless nights and finally giving up I ran across an article about this issue. The center bulb in the third light (upper) must stay in its position. This was after I bought new LED taillights from CP Addict Mfg. (Which I am incredibly pleased with!!) Now I have super taillights, brake lights, and backup lights AND cruise control.

BTW, the third light is no longer for sale new from Ford and the replacement from China is money wasted. Even the local junk yards don't have them.

OP
OP
H

Hrgkmg

Reaction score
I went through the same problem that you are having in my,96 Bronco, Eddie Bauer. After replacing my brake lights bulbs with the LED style my cruise control did not work. After searching, worrying, a couple of sleepless nights and finally giving up I ran across an article about this issue. The center bulb in the third light (upper) must stay in its position. This was after I bought new LED taillights from CP Addict Mfg. (Which I am incredibly pleased with!!) Now I have super taillights, brake lights, and backup lights AND cruise control.

BTW, the third light is no longer for sale new from Ford and the replacement from China is money wasted. Even the local junk yards don't have them.
Richard did you replace the third light unit? Mine is damaged and partly melted from the heat of the original bulbs. I have it working with oem bulbs currently but the unit is in rough shape.

johnnyreb

Reaction score

Try Green Sales out of Ohio

WABronc

Reaction score
‘94 Eddie Bauer. Am I understanding correctly that if I replace my center brake light with an LED unit my cruise may stop working? Lights in mine won’t come on and I discovered (by trying to remove it) that it has essentially melted itself in place.

ablediver

Reaction score
I'm planning on changing out the same unit in mine (96' EB) with an LED unit. It'll be a few months, though. I'm laid up right now

Ablediver out

johnnyreb

Reaction score
I'm planning on changing out the same unit in mine (96' EB) with an LED unit. It'll be a few months, though. I'm laid up right now

Ablediver out
Hope your feelin better. What,s with everyone getting laid up now? You--Veg and me. I hate this sitinn arond doin nothin.

paul rondelli

Reaction score
‘94 Eddie Bauer. Am I understanding correctly that if I replace my center brake light with an LED unit my cruise may stop working? Lights in mine won’t come on and I discovered (by trying to remove it) that it has essentially melted itself in place.

I also heard that the ECU uses the voltage from the third brake light to determine when the brakes are engaged ..... and then automatically disengages the torque converter. There was a guy on-line that went through two E4OD rebuilds ... when he found out that a $.25 shorted bulb in his third brake light was causing all of his tranny issues.

Just another reason why all trucks should be a stick.

Leave the fancy heated steering wheels and electronically controlled 10 speed transmissions .... to the yuppy driving a BMW.

If you can't drive a stick shift ... you do not deserve to be driving a Ford truck.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sf66