1996 Bronco Not Planned Restoration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Accidents do happen when we are getting carried away working on anything. So guys please be careful so we can work another day and talk on hear.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Wow Paul that 93 is gorgeous,, Lots and lots of time spent on that one.. I'm rolling good on mine except i am still drilling out those damn bolts that broke off in the floorboard (seat belt bolts, seat bolts, rear seat latch bolts. If its called a"bolt", its broken off in my Bronco.
Whn you go to putting the exhaust manifolds on. You might want to try what I always do. In case I have to take a manifold off again. Instead of useing manifold bolts. I use studs. Then I put the gasket and manifold on. The iI use brass taps and a lock washer on each stud. They are alot easier to take the manifolds off the next time and you don,t have to worry about bolts breaking off into the head. Sometimes you have to take the head off. It saves you alot of time.

Shaggy

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Well so far i have done it all myself except for the sandblasting the frame and the motor work. I have restored several Broncos before, just not to the extent of this one. Nothing has been or will be half Azzed. The motor will be done by a well known motor company and so far the only major problems i've came upon is the dang body mount sleeves and broken seat bolts. I rarely depend on anyone but myself to do the work, but there are things i have never encountered which is why i'm on this forum.

Look forward on seeing updates to this!

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Whn you go to putting the exhaust manifolds on. You might want to try what I always do. In case I have to take a manifold off again. Instead of useing manifold bolts. I use studs. Then I put the gasket and manifold on. The iI use brass taps and a lock washer on each stud. They are alot easier to take the manifolds off the next time and you don,t have to worry about bolts breaking off into the head. Sometimes you have to take the head off. It saves you alot of time.
I put 2 brass taps plus the lock washer. To keep the manifold tight.

OP
OP
RonnieW

RonnieW

Reaction score
My frame sure was pretty when it came back from the blast and paint yard. Almost looked new except for some pitted areas on the top of the frame. Anyway I purposely left it out in the rain for a few days and after that i found every spot they missed. Little rust spot here and there and for sure where the frame and suspension come together. So i agree with L/Bronco with the POR because it worked great for neutralizing the rust and allowed me to paint over the missed spots. It was much easier to do it now before i put the body back on the frame. Just my two cents, but when you think you got everything painted, Leave it out in the rain, it will show every missed spot after a few days.
IMG_4064.jpg

johnnyreb

Reaction score
My frame sure was pretty when it came back from the blast and paint yard. Almost looked new except for some pitted areas on the top of the frame. Anyway I purposely left it out in the rain for a few days and after that i found every spot they missed. Little rust spot here and there and for sure where the frame and suspension come together. So i agree with L/Bronco with the POR because it worked great for neutralizing the rust and allowed me to paint over the missed spots. It was much easier to do it now before i put the body back on the frame. Just my two cents, but when you think you got everything painted, Leave it out in the rain, it will show every missed spot after a few days.
View attachment 29554
Your doing a very good job and it looks really good.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
View attachment 29554
On thesupport areas where the body bushing go. Wouldn,t it be a good idea to replace those ares with stainless. Because it won,t rust out again.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
I've got that part covered, I bought lots of stainless hardware this time. Pricey, but i will only replace it once
Yes its pricey,but can save you time and work. Buy not going back over later on.. I also look at a area that has rust--like in the floor and back track. To see where it came from and caused it. Then try to correct it. Also at the bottom of the rear spring hangers. Where dirt and gravel hang in and cause them to rust out. I drilled holes in the center of mine to stop it.

ablediver

Reaction score
So if it got on bolt threads--forget? I always like grease .
Grease on the threads is great, too, just a bid difficult to keep gloss paint on, that's all.
The old-school Yanks used to spray WD-40 on the undercarriages of their cars too, kind of like the old motor oil deal johnnyreb mentioned. Lots of fires all the time.
Just my $.02
Ablediver out

Last edited:

johnnyreb

Reaction score
How funny, Well i just got married a few weeks ag, so i'm not that brave right now. My mom and dad have been happily married for 64 years now. When i got married my Dad told me there is a secret to staying married. He said always remember these two words, "Yes Dear"
Well I hope you found someone who did a really nice job for you. If you haven,t . Since you have been doing a great job so far. I think if you had confidence in yourself to paint it. You would do a really nice job. Just take your time and learn as you go. Like you did on the other parts you already did. That,s how we all learn--including painters. The main thing in becoming good at anything is paitence and read and listen to others who have did it. I have confidence in you. You can do it.

L\Bronco

Reaction score
How funny, Well i just got married a few weeks ag, so i'm not that brave right now. My mom and dad have been happily married for 64 years now. When i got married my Dad told me there is a secret to staying married. He said always remember these two words, "Yes Dear"
When I got married, my dad taught me the six words that can save any marriage. "Yes dear, you're right, I'm sorry."
I've been married 36yrs and still rebuilding cars and racing!(y)

OP
OP
RonnieW

RonnieW

Reaction score
Well I hope you found someone who did a really nice job for you. If you haven,t . Since you have been doing a great job so far. I think if you had confidence in yourself to paint it. You would do a really nice job. Just take your time and learn as you go. Like you did on the other parts you already did. That,s how we all learn--including painters. The main thing in becoming good at anything is paitence and read and listen to others who have did it. I have confidence in you. You can do it.
Thank you johnnyreb, I’m getting there it’s just been slow and a little costly. This Bronco has taught me that there are a lot of differences from a Texas Bronco to a California Bronco. Actually I think it’s everywhere else bronco to a California bronco. I found all kinds of emissions parts that I did not know even existed. Most of my repair Manuals don’t show the parts that are on this bronco. Later I figured out it originally came from California, go figure. The latest is the harmonic balancer. It is not a normal one, it has what they call a reluctor ring on it which is a four-point aluminum ring made to help detect misfires. So If you do not have one, I can tell you they are none to be found anywhere in this world, however if you have one, it can be rebuilt. There is a company in California that rebuilt mine and sent it back within three days at a very good price. So that was one of the surprises, the other one was the EGR tubing, which normally around here have a single tube, California’s emissions have three tubes and more stuff to plug up to it lol. As in More to buy. 02E1BDBF-7D6F-460C-A0F3-8BC4EA832D8D.jpegF136AA73-9531-4280-B117-1D276C230EED.jpeg

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Thank you johnnyreb, I’m getting there it’s just been slow and a little costly. This Bronco has taught me that there are a lot of differences from a Texas Bronco to a California Bronco. Actually I think it’s everywhere else bronco to a California bronco. I found all kinds of emissions parts that I did not know even existed. Most of my repair Manuals don’t show the parts that are on this bronco. Later I figured out it originally came from California, go figure. The latest is the harmonic balancer. It is not a normal one, it has what they call a reluctor ring on it which is a four-point aluminum ring made to help detect misfires. So If you do not have one, I can tell you they are none to be found anywhere in this world, however if you have one, it can be rebuilt. There is a company in California that rebuilt mine and sent it back within three days at a very good price. So that was one of the surprises, the other one was the EGR tubing, which normally around here have a single tube, California’s emissions have three tubes and more stuff to plug up to it lol. As in More to buy. View attachment 29620View attachment 29621
Another thing people seem to forget Is when you get anything use--like a vehicle,gun,lawn mower--etc--you don,t know what someone else did to it and not tell you--what all had been changed or just left off. Your doing a great job--On down the road if you pay someone else to paint it and they took short cuts--what will the paint look like in 3 months. If they are so called experts and charge alot. Make sure they paint buy a HUMIDIFER. I,F THEY DON,T---LOOK OUT FOR RUST TO START SOON. I met a guy one time had about 4 teeth in his heads,old scragly beard and torn cloths and a hat that had more holes then you could count. Driving a beautiful black 57 Chevrolet Belare. Got to talking to him about it--asking him question. The car looked brand new. Hear he had done all the work--rebuilt the complet car and painted it. In his small garage How did he do it? He said he took his time and read about it. and done it himself. You can,nt believe half of what these garages will tell you. He said he did it once and paid a big price on his 57---then took it home and done it himself and done it right.

Shaggy

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
View attachment 29554

Wouldn't spraying it down do the same as the rain, just faster?

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Thank you johnnyreb, I’m getting there it’s just been slow and a little costly. This Bronco has taught me that there are a lot of differences from a Texas Bronco to a California Bronco. Actually I think it’s everywhere else bronco to a California bronco. I found all kinds of emissions parts that I did not know even existed. Most of my repair Manuals don’t show the parts that are on this bronco. Later I figured out it originally came from California, go figure. The latest is the harmonic balancer. It is not a normal one, it has what they call a reluctor ring on it which is a four-point aluminum ring made to help detect misfires. So If you do not have one, I can tell you they are none to be found anywhere in this world, however if you have one, it can be rebuilt. There is a company in California that rebuilt mine and sent it back within three days at a very good price. So that was one of the surprises, the other one was the EGR tubing, which normally around here have a single tube, California’s emissions have three tubes and more stuff to plug up to it lol. As in More to buy. View attachment 29620View attachment 29621
Sonetimes when they go to change years are surprises too.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke