1996 Bronco Not Planned Restoration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RonnieW

Reaction score
I haven't been posting on here because I've actually been reading everyone else's shared posts on their restorations and so now I'll share mine to make some of you feel better.

So I bought one of those "No Rust, No Dents, Almost perfect paint job" Broncos in January of this year and since then I've almost got a divorce because of the time and money I have spent on it already. Of course I bought it sight unseen and had it shipped to me and well, you know how that went. The Bronco looked great in the picture, but kind of like an ugly girl-( Good from Far but Far from Good). Anyway I am at that point where i have lost my mind on fixing or replacing everything that had a dent, scratch or tear, which is probably why I have already spent so much money and time on it. I have had 9 Broncos in the past and none of them have been as challenging as this one. Every seat bolt, seat belt bolt and rear seat latch bolts were so corroded that I had to drill them out (actually I'm stilling drilling them). The carpet was glued down for whatever reason with some form of Alien glue that made it a nightmare just to remove the carpet. The engine runs great but leaks oil like the Exxon Valdez. I have yet to tackle removing the bolts to replace the body bushings which I see it going the same way as the other bolts. I live in Texas and the Bronco came from Washington state which probably accounts for all the corrosion on the frame and bolts. Check out my pictures of where i am now. Also if anyone has some good sites on where to buy interior parts I would be interested in knowing.

Attachments

• Bronco~Rebuild     1.jpg
    Bronco~Rebuild 1.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 27
  • Bronco~Rebuild     2.jpg
    Bronco~Rebuild 2.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 27
  • Bronco~Rebuild     3.jpg
    Bronco~Rebuild 3.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 27
  • Bronco~Rebuild     4.jpg
    Bronco~Rebuild 4.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 30
  • Bronco~Rebuild     5.jpg
    Bronco~Rebuild 5.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 27
  • Bronco~Rebuild     6.jpg
    Bronco~Rebuild 6.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 29
  • Bronco~Rebuild     7.jpg
    Bronco~Rebuild 7.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 26
  • Bronco~Rebuild     8.jpg
    Bronco~Rebuild 8.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 27
  • Bronco~Rebuild     9.jpg
    Bronco~Rebuild 9.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 26
  • Bronco~Rebuild     10.jpg
    Bronco~Rebuild 10.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 25
  • Bronco~Rebuild     11.jpg
    Bronco~Rebuild 11.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 26
  • Bronco~Rebuild     12.jpg
    Bronco~Rebuild 12.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 26
  • Bronco~Rebuild     13.jpg
    Bronco~Rebuild 13.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 29
  • Bronco~Rebuild     14.jpg
    Bronco~Rebuild 14.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 30
  • Bronco~Rebuild     15.jpg
    Bronco~Rebuild 15.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 28
  • Bronco~Rebuild     16.jpg
    Bronco~Rebuild 16.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 26
  • Bronco~Rebuild     17.jpg
    Bronco~Rebuild 17.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 26
  • Bronco~Rebuild 18.jpg
    Bronco~Rebuild 18.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 24
  • Bronco~Rebuild 19.jpg
    Bronco~Rebuild 19.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 25
  • Bronco~Rebuild 20.jpg
    Bronco~Rebuild 20.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 26
  • Bronco~Rebuild 21.jpg
    Bronco~Rebuild 21.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 24
  • Bronco~Rebuild 22.jpg
    Bronco~Rebuild 22.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

paul rondelli

Reaction score
welcome

Really like the 1996. Sucks that it required that much work … but it looked like a 7 out of 10.... and now your at a 9. I would have drove the **** out of it …. and slowly worked on the appearance.

Any reason why you didn't get one out of Arizona or New Mexico? You aren't that far away being in Texas .. and I'm sure the rust and corrosion would have been less than a Northern one?

OP
OP
RonnieW

RonnieW

Reaction score
I wished I would have gotten one in Arizona or around that part of the country but I have no patience, so when i seen the original ad for the Bronco it seemed like a great deal at the time. Not so much looking back.

paul rondelli

Reaction score
Ronnie check out this 1993...… Kind of along the me line you are heading

Last edited:
OP
OP
RonnieW

RonnieW

Reaction score
Wow Paul that 93 is gorgeous,, Lots and lots of time spent on that one.. I'm rolling good on mine except i am still drilling out those damn bolts that broke off in the floorboard (seat belt bolts, seat bolts, rear seat latch bolts. If its called a"bolt", its broken off in my Bronco.

paul rondelli

Reaction score
I feel your pain. I broke 3 bolts while taking out the rear seat, and 2 sockets trying to remove the rear seat belts. Then the R/A bushing needed replacing so I drilled out the bracket rivets and just got new brackets. The cobalt bits work really well…. and then the grinder on the seat bolts. i was going to just install the old bolts on the bottom picture but decided to cut all that crap out and just use grade 8. You need two people now to remove the seat … but I have piece of mind.

Radius arm drill out.jpgSeat belt drill out.jpg

johnnyreb

Reaction score
So what did you do ? Grind it all off and just use a bolt and nut ?
MAKE SURE--NO GAS is near..Make sure it is safely away and keep a couple of fire extinguishers handy. You never know when you need one. Accidents do happen and sometimes we get carried away and forget. Grinders can throw sparks a good distance and it only takes one. You all are doing great work. I have been working off and on my 78 for along time and I have replaced alot of things and still have more to do. I think its a love hate situation,but I am determined after my accident with the engine bay catching on fire . I was right on top fighting to save her.Which I did. Both fire extinguisher were dead--so I had to fight the fire with the cloths I had on. When I got done--I had 1 sock and my underwear on. Good thing I decided to wear it that day. I still ended up in the burn center,but healing upreal good and I will drive it some day --soon I hope. Keep the determination going and someday we will be finished.

OP
OP
RonnieW

RonnieW

Reaction score
Now i need a little expert painting advise, I'm not painting the outside of the Bronco, I am going to have it painted by a professional painter. However, I removed my doors to fix some dents, change the hinges and to paint the inside of the doors and inside of the door jam. The jam was barely dusted with paint (see pic 16,17). I guess back then Ford didn't spend much time with the little stuff that makes it look complete. Now my doors are fixed and I painted the inside of them, next i was planning on doing the jam but i don't see how i am going to do this without me leaving paint lines. I didn't want any paint lines so i been a little picky about this. Now my question is, should i put the doors back on and let the painter do the jams and do you think the painter could paint the inside jam after door installation without lines or the clear falling flat inside. If nothing else i could leave the doors off and have him paint them separately. The point of this long drawn out question, is that i didn't want any obvious paint/tape lines or flat clear in the corners.. Any ideas on how to do this

Attachments

• 16.jpg
    16.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 44
  • 17.jpg
    17.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 42
  • 19.jpg
    19.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 44

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Now i need a little expert painting advise, I'm not painting the outside of the Bronco, I am going to have it painted by a professional painter. However, I removed my doors to fix some dents, change the hinges and to paint the inside of the doors and inside of the door jam. The jam was barely dusted with paint (see pic 16,17). I guess back then Ford didn't spend much time with the little stuff that makes it look complete. Now my doors are fixed and I painted the inside of them, next i was planning on doing the jam but i don't see how i am going to do this without me leaving paint lines. I didn't want any paint lines so i been a little picky about this. Now my question is, should i put the doors back on and let the painter do the jams and do you think the painter could paint the inside jam after door installation without lines or the clear falling flat inside. If nothing else i could leave the doors off and have him paint them separately. The point of this long drawn out question, is that i didn't want any obvious paint/tape lines or flat clear in the corners.. Any ideas on how to do this
Why not ask the painter and let him choose. I,d think he would rather paint them before he put them on.. I would.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
That would be the smart way but I havent found a painter i want
Well when you find him. Then ask him. I,m sure he or she--would rather paint them off--while they are off. Everything would be easy to get too.. Make sure you ask plenty of questions and check out their shop and see if they have a humidifer.To keep the moisture out of the air. Painting without one is asking for troubles a little while down the road. You don,t want to paint over moisture you can,nt see on the metal. Ask around and see who does a good job and don,t pay before the work is done right. Their is still some honest people out their,but alot looking to take you. Use caution and good luck.

paul rondelli

Reaction score
Paint and body is an art form. A really high end paint job can run close to 10,000. Most body shops make the money on insurance claims... and they want to get them in and out ASAP. …. or they are custom fabricators that require a credit check before they start working.

Since you can do some of the prep and part removal prior to painting .... I would try and find someone who will work with you. You don't have to be an artist to sand for 8 to 10 hours or put on masking tape.

Painting is all about the prep work.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Paint and body is an art form. A really high end paint job can run close to 10,000. Most body shops make the money on insurance claims... and they want to get them in and out ASAP. …. or they are custom fabricators that require a credit check before they start working.

Since you can do some of the prep and part removal prior to painting .... I would try and find someone who will work with you. You don't have to be an artist to sand for 8 to 10 hours or put on masking tape.

Painting is all about the prep work.
Also NOT getting in ANY hurry applying the paint. That is where you can mess up really quick. Take your time and think ahead.

OP
OP
RonnieW

RonnieW

Reaction score
Ok so now I've talked to a couple of painters, one said leave the doors off and the other said to put the doors on and then adjust the hinges so i don't scratch the doors after they're painted, but i think that painter and miesk5 has the right idea. Since i've taken the time to fix the doors I certainly don't want to scratch them or have marks on my jam from adjusting, and they can be a pain in the azz at times to line up. I have taken a lot of time to do this one right even though my mind wants to get it finished so i play with it. My wife said since I spend so much time and money on it she's changing her name to "Bronco"

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Ok so now I've talked to a couple of painters, one said leave the doors off and the other said to put the doors on and then adjust the hinges so i don't scratch the doors after they're painted, but i think that painter and miesk5 has the right idea. Since i've taken the time to fix the doors I certainly don't want to scratch them or have marks on my jam from adjusting, and they can be a pain in the azz at times to line up. I have taken a lot of time to do this one right even though my mind wants to get it finished so i play with it. My wife said since I spend so much time and money on it she's changing her name to "Bronco"
I like my Bronco,but not as much as my Fairlane. I got more smiles in it. My woman tried to get me to sale it. I wouldn,t. Then she asked me what came first.The Fairlane or her. I told her the Fairlane. I,m not about to sale it.Go to car shows and see one and hear what other people said. "I had one of them and wished a thounsand times I never sold it. " No ,I have too many memorys in that car. haha

OP
OP
RonnieW

RonnieW

Reaction score
How funny, Well i just got married a few weeks ag, so i'm not that brave right now. My mom and dad have been happily married for 64 years now. When i got married my Dad told me there is a secret to staying married. He said always remember these two words, "Yes Dear"

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke